The Mint Café

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: The Mint Café

Post by AZgl1800 »

Tonight, I watched several YouTube videos of "The Highway Men"

My favorite Country Singers show their stuff here
Willie Nelson, Chris Kristoferson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash
With my new Bass Boost Bluetooth headphones, I just let each video end and pull up the next one in the series..... I wish we had C&W singers of this caliber today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOWjX4B ... rt_radio=1

I just let it cycle through and bring up the next song... that was in 1990
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I was in a really weird creative mood just now and assembled the following signature image for anyone here on LMF who wants to use it.

I'd use it myself, but I really like the one I've already created.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Nice!

I once had a Windows "Jar Jar Binks" edition. Hated it.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I think this is awesome, a 6 year old girl with Down's Syndrome now has a Doll modelled after her because her Parent's built a lifesize Dolls House for her based on the same brand's products and posted pictures of it on Social Media. The Doll's House is a tree house and looks great so the Doll manufacturer got in touch and the rest is history. Best thing to come out of lockdown? Possibly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-w ... e-56456514

Her smile is infectious :D
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

antikythera wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:18 pm ... a 6 year old girl with Down's Syndrome now has a Doll modelled after her ... Best thing to come out of lockdown?
I think it's vital for all children to see, recognise and identify with other people as 'they look like me'. It's important that children see that there are no limitations just because of who or what they are or what they look like, that if someone else can do it, they can too.

Some people will agree that it is possibly the "Best thing to come out of lockdown". As for me, I think it's shameful of the manufacturer to produce a stylised doll that looks like any other brunette child walking down the street, and not a doll that actually has features appropriate for a child with Down's Syndrome.

So, no, I have to disagree. The evidence is in the face and shape of the doll, but that is not to subtract from the joy of one little girl. By not having the gumption to produce even a remotely realistic looking doll, this manufacturer has displayed nothing but prejudice and cynical publicity seeking at its worst.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I can see why you'd be cynical about this being a good thing. The fact is the girl and her parents can see the resemblance so that is all that matters really. If you look closer at the Doll, they have modified the facial structure to her jaw shape and changed the eyes to match hers.

This is the usual style:

This is Rosie Boo:
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Burning Desires 69
Level 2
Level 2

Re:

Post by Burning Desires 69 »

clem wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:25 am
Actually, I am part French
Nobody's perfect :)
(I'm 75% French myself)

Clem,
and 25% American.. would you believe. :)
Nice to know? I'm part Human myself. What % is up to those who can determine this themselves.
I Loved World = 80's & 90's
World Hates Me = 2016 to 2019
I Hate World = 2020 & ^
They want us to Suffer, then lets speed it up, just burn our Sanity away. Else, Shut It!
A "Scar" Means? Yur About To Find Out, The Hard Way!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Re:

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Burning Desires 69 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:30 am ...Nobody's perfect...
I wish people would stop calling me Nobody.

:wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Burning Desires 69
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Burning Desires 69 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:24 am

Your Quote says that I wrote this, which I didn't write it,
I just replied to it, oO

I think you Quoted the wrong Person in your Reply.

Everyone has to be a somebody don't they, no?
I Loved World = 80's & 90's
World Hates Me = 2016 to 2019
I Hate World = 2020 & ^
They want us to Suffer, then lets speed it up, just burn our Sanity away. Else, Shut It!
A "Scar" Means? Yur About To Find Out, The Hard Way!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Burning Desires 69 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:25 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:24 am

Your Quote says that I wrote this, which I didn't write it,
I just replied to it, oO

I think you Quoted the wrong Person in your Reply...
Oopsie :? :oops:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
csqwared
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csqwared »

HRH RIP :( :( What a man. Had a lot of time for this fella, a little curmudgeonly but a huge asset to the Royal Family and did loads for the youth of this country.
By 'eck. It's grim up North.
Cinnamon 19.3
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

GREETINGS
Glad to see that this site is still alive. I never believed I'd see so much activity in it for so many years.
My best regards to Clem, the Linuxmint creator.

To
kenetics
marlene
richyrich
Sorensei
twin
and a few more that started the ballgame

npap
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

And npap started this Mint Cafe!

Congrats! And here's hoping for another 15 years.
thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thatchunkylad198966 »

csqwared wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:26 am HRH RIP :( :( What a man. Had a lot of time for this fella, a little curmudgeonly but a huge asset to the Royal Family and did loads for the youth of this country.
Yep! Loved his wish of the Land Rover as a Hurst.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I love it.!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

So, today after a long day at work driving around all over (and then stopping at Ikea to pick up a light-blocking shade for one of my bedroom windows) I came home and decided to check out Diablo III on a new MacBook Air M1. One of my co-workers is a massive gamer, always getting new stuff and working his way through it. Personally, I think he needs to get a life, but it's his life and he does what makes him happy. Fine.

Anyhow, he and I have talked from time to time about the Diablo series. He's never seen or touched the first two, having only played DIII on console (he hates PC-based games), and he said he actually liked it. He's played with friends and taken his characters to the point of, as he put it, "breaking" them. Ok, so...

I really like the original Diablo. I've never finished it, but that's ok. And, y'know, every year or two I'll get a hankering to play it, so I'll pull it out and try and find some way of making it work. At the moment, since I actually have a W10 install, I can use it on that, with the latest patch and setting compatibility mode up just so. The fact that a game which came out in 1997 and was designed for Windows 95 and 98 runs on an NT-class version released in 2015 is, to be fair, reasonably impressive.

Back to Diablo III. I actually had to go to Blizzard's web site since they're not offering it through Apple's App Store. It installed, which of course took a while because that thing is absolutely huge, and then I patiently sat through the initial introductory cutscene. I got it up and running, and I guess played with it for, oh I dunno, probably about 15 minutes. After that, I searched for how to uninstall it properly, and then battle.net, and that was that.

Did I like it? Nope. It looks like a mashup of Diablo II (which I also have, but really never liked very much) and every modern video game of that genre. It's all flashy and got lots of sound effects, but good lord the gameplay just sucks. It's obvious they intend for this to be some kind of super-immersive experience, basically weaving something of a narrative story in the process. No thanks. All I want is to fire up a game, play it for 20 or 30 or 45 minutes here and there, saving the game in progress, and then I'll come back to it later.

I remember back in the 1990s, there was a flight sim game which came out (I used to be a big fan of flight sim games) which let you fly... I think it was the F22 (maybe it was the F35? I dunno)... and even after I dealt with the fact that I needed to upgrade my CPU and graphics card just to be able to run it, I started trying to play it only to find out it's not a regular flight sim game. Oh no. You need to spend time (likely a few months if a working stiff like me) just to get up to speed on it, and then and only then you can start playing it. The manual that came with the video game literally had the classified section removed from an actual flight manual, they added in all the necessary game instructions, and then the rest of it was an actual FLIGHT MANUAL. For, like, a REAL aircraft.

All I want is to play something for a short period of time when the mood strikes me, not devote 6 months of my life to it, not really even to play but just to get good at operating the controls.

Wut da frak, man...

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Perhaps you would have learned enough to fly a real real aircraft after learning that game!

I took flying lessens one summer and passed the private pilot written test, but it was too costly and time consuming to pursue it further. I did play a lot of MS flight simulator, but it became boring after a time - even with the many crash landings.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

kenetics wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:18 pm Perhaps you would have learned enough to fly a real real aircraft after learning that game!

I took flying lessens one summer and passed the private pilot written test, but it was too costly and time consuming to pursue it further. I did play a lot of MS flight simulator, but it became boring after a time - even with the many crash landings.
Funny thing is, as I've gotten older, I have a high sensitivity to anything which causes motion sickness. True, I could grab a Bonine tablet and wait 30 minutes, but I've really lost interest in most of that stuff.

Return to “Open Chat”