The Mint Café

Chat about just about anything else
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Re: THE MINT CAFE

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Yes - thank you for making the forum what it is!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

Jawz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 2012

Post by Jawz »

The problem with that senior dude,
is that human beings have no written records
of what happened 22,000 years ago. So we
don't have a clue what's in store for us.

MintyFree
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyFree »

Hey guys, you ever play with the Cheese webcam pic taker yet? I've got a collection of photography.
Attachments
They get wierder
They get wierder
wideopen.jpg (127.75 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
Monster Desktop: 4GB DDR2 RAM/2.5 GHz AMD Phantom II Quad-Core/ATI Radeon 4200 with 512MB of Memory
Betamine: 756MB DDR RAM/1.8GHz AMD Sempron +3000 Single-Core/SiS -something- with like 16MB of Memory

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

I'd like to buy a round for All of our good Southern friends and allies as they celebrate/remember ANZAC Day !
A.jpg
A.jpg (6.31 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
NZ.jpg
NZ.jpg (5.45 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
As us Canadian's would say " 'Atta go , Aye ! We'll never forget ! " Image

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Allow me to express my respect to our Canadian friends who also gave their lives to liberate Europe in World War II.
God bless them.

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

With all the well-deserved salutes to our military friends and heroes, both past and present, we have nearly run out of booze. Npap, time to restock the bar!
“Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Well,well! What a surprise. :o
Our official Mint bartender is back. :)
How are you doing these days my friend?
I myself abandoned the Mint Cafe on doctor's orders :lol: "Stay away from booze,he said. It'll kill you!" :(

You are right,though. It's time to restock the MintBar for our friends who visit here.

Here's to your health, Ken
Bottoms up!
Attachments
planter_punch.jpg
planter_punch.jpg (7.91 KiB) Viewed 2326 times

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

I finally got my Debian 'testing' with Xfce built to where I want it.

Now :lol: . . . . I've been working on building an Arch/Linux OS.

Not doing to badly ... this time. Last time I tried building Arch ... I crashed and burned.

/needs a drink

May I have a Mint Margarita, please? :P (with a side of Hot Salsa and tortilla chips)
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I hope your Arch works out, it is an awesome distro! You using Xfce? I just built my first Arch Xfce a few weeks ago for my son and it is smooth! I am jealous and may build myself one for MY computer. :D Don't forget to install thunar-volman and add your user to the optical group!

Good sir? Coca-Cola, not shaken OR stirred!

<raises glass> To Arch...To Mint...Two fine distros!

MintyFree
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyFree »

A round of Mint Mojitos on me!

I got a kitten today and named it Gloria after the first distro of Mint I ever used (Linux Mint Gloria XFCE) and Gloria Gaynor!
Monster Desktop: 4GB DDR2 RAM/2.5 GHz AMD Phantom II Quad-Core/ATI Radeon 4200 with 512MB of Memory
Betamine: 756MB DDR RAM/1.8GHz AMD Sempron +3000 Single-Core/SiS -something- with like 16MB of Memory

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote: (example) Some newbie asked "what is Nautilus"
It was ambertone ... Here is the thread:
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=3405#p3405
npap wrote: So Scorp123 showed us a beautiful picture of it :o
The picture is gone. I had to 'repair' that posting by inserting a new one:
npap wrote: It was a creature in the sea floor that looks like a snail but has tentacles like an Octopus.
And it's a living fossile. Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautiloidea
npap wrote: Don't ever install this on your desktop!
I still can't recommend doing that ... :D

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Oh boy!
Scorp is back :D
A round of Mint Mojitos on me!
How are you doing my friend? I hope we'll see you here often. Let's have some of your old humor back. :)
O! get one of those nautiluses live, for my grandson. I hope they don't sting as bad as a scorpion though.

We'd also like to hear news about you.
Best regards
Your friend npap

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote: Scorp is back :D
Not really. I just dropped in to say 'bye bye' to Husse. :( I didn't know about him passing away until yesterday when Linux Mint 9 was released. I saw things in the package list ("Husse quotes") and hints in various other places suggesting that something had gone wrong :shock: ... If anything I admire him for the infinite patience he was capable of. My patience clearly has its limits ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

And I think you guys are very very weird. I left like 2.5 years ago and you are still quoting a joke I made back in the early days? Frank392 is still posting things like he is "missing scorp123" in one of his recent (April 2010) postings?? Sweet. :mrgreen: If I weren't such an arrogant asshole I'd be blushing now .... oh wait ... Too late. You got me. I am blushing :oops:
:D
npap wrote: I hope we'll see you here often.
Don't count on it. If you want to see me more often then you might have better luck on the Ubuntu forum. Or Facebook :D

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

OK Scorp,
That's not very good news, I'm afraid.
But knowing you well enough, I don't blame you for your feelings.

By the way I just logged out of Facebook. I don't like it very much.
See you at the Ubuntu forums, some day.
:( :(

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote: By the way I just logged out of Facebook. I don't like it very much.
It's perfectly OK as a "Communication Tool", e.g. keeping in touch with others, etc. I strictly use it for that and stay away from all the quizzes and all the stupid games there. If you do that and purely see it as some form of web-based chat + mail tool then it's tip top.

And of course it doesn't hurt to set all the privacy settings to the max, e.g. by using this tool:
http://www.reclaimprivacy.org/facebook

(Yes, it's open source too)

MintyFree
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyFree »

npap wrote:OK Scorp,
That's not very good news, I'm afraid.
But knowing you well enough, I don't blame you for your feelings.

By the way I just logged out of Facebook. I don't like it very much.
See you at the Ubuntu forums, some day.
:( :(
I didn't like facebook either, it's boring. It's like a less organized twitter. Twitter I like though.

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

MintyFree wrote: It's like a less organized twitter. Twitter I like though.
Now that's one I don't get: Twitter. All those weird disjointed and hard-to-read messages with hashes in them and what not ... What's up with that??

Facebook on the other hand helped me find long lost friends, share our photo albums, it helped me stay in touch with distant relatives, and and and. And I really like the "touch & feel" which is straightforward and apparently easy enough so that even elderly or very young relatives have no troubles using it. The only thing that worries me a bit are Facebook's lax policies when it comes to privacy but that's a different story.

And soon there will be "Diaspora".

http://joindiaspora.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters ... ebook.html

MintyFree
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyFree »

scorp123 wrote: Now that's one I don't get: Twitter. All those weird disjointed and hard-to-read messages with hashes in them and what not ... What's up with that??

Facebook on the other hand helped me find long lost friends, share our photo albums, it helped me stay in touch with distant relatives, and and and. And I really like the "touch & feel" which is straightforward and apparently easy enough so that even elderly or very young relatives have no troubles using it. The only thing that worries me a bit are Facebook's lax policies when it comes to privacy but that's a different story.

And soon there will be "Diaspora".

http://joindiaspora.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters ... ebook.html
I'm half debian user which makes me an obnoxious elitist asshole without any friends therefore facebook has no purpose for me. I go on twitter to watch Linux Mint, Firefox, Google, RSnake and a few other people. It confused me at first but the way I see it is it's an RSS feed for regular people and you have your own feed people can subscribe to. Tell me if that made any sense, I'm stoned right now.

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

MintyFree wrote: I'm half debian user which makes me an obnoxious elitist asshole without any friends
Hmmm ... you're doing it wrong then. I'm an obnoxius elitist asshole with wife, kid, a hot secretary back in the office, and even a few very good friends, plus all the rest of 'average' friends. I even care about those idiots (I did say that I'm an elitist asshole, right?) and they do care about me. I post like a photo about an exhibition where I had my own booth and they rush to comment on my album: "ooooh, cool!", "what were you doing there? This is friggin' awesome!" ... Like I care??? Oh wait ... It makes my elitist asshole ego feel good. So yes, I do care. :D
MintyFree wrote: but the way I see it is it's an RSS feed for regular people and you have your own feed people can subscribe to. Tell me if that made any sense
Aaah, now finally someone who is talking my language. Even though an elitist asshole like me would probably have no troubles using it, I probably can't talk all my relatives and all my friends --both the good ones and the fake ones-- to use that. I'd lose contact with them. And then who is supposed to praise me and make my elitist asshole ego feel good?? :lol:

To each his own it seems :D

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Here we are!
The subject of Facebook is interesting. And guess what. Facebook’s Privacy Policy is 5,830 words long; the United States Constitution, without any of its amendments, is a concise 4,543 words.
I wonder why.
I have de-activated my Facebook account three times so far. The following day, I get an e-mail informing me that my account has been re-activated. :o
Is it the work of a mischievous bot? I wonder.

Anyway, Scorp, send me a PM, if you don't mind, about how I can spy on you on Facebook. :lol:

The personal data of 400,000 people is a wealth of information for anyone to use as and when he pleases.
Is "Big Brother" watching?

"Diaspora"! Now that's interesting. But it's all Greek to me, :lol:
"Phatsabookion" is the Greek version, according to the Latin Thesaurus. :lol:

Cheers,
npap

Return to “Open chat”