Good Book.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
viking777

Good Book.

Post by viking777 »

I just finished reading an ebook which I found a very good read. Of course book preferences can be very subjective, but I think this has something for anyone who dabbles in the technology world. So this is the kind of person that I think might find it interesting.

You like reading - obviously.
You like science fiction (although augmented reality is more the category it fits into).
You like humour, particularly satirical humour.
You like technology but very often wonder about the direction it is heading in.
Reality TV makes you shudder.
You can't understand why Zuckerberg is worth 10 cents, never mind whatever it is he is worth.
The power and invasiveness of advertising worries you.

You don't have to fit into all those categories, just a couple of them and you will probably get some enjoyment from it.

Just one word of warning though, this is not Asimov, this is not Douglas Adams, it is the subject matter that is interesting rather than the quality of the writing, and perhaps it is just a bit too long, but I enjoyed it.

Best of all though this is a free ebook available here:

http://www.manybooks.net/titles/chevatr ... e_red.html

so if I am wrong and you think it is rubbish you won't have lost much except a bit of time
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Good Book.

Post by Oscar799 »

I downloaded the .mobi version for my Kindle - Only had a quick look as yet but anything that starts with "Gordy's toilet was talking to him" shows promise..... :lol:
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Thanks Viking.

Building up my "library" in anticipation to a long Maine winter. :)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

GeneC wrote:Thanks Viking.

You hunker down and keep warm like a hibernating bear Gene, I have been in NE USA in the middle of winter and it isn't funny. Just do me a favour, don't send any of that snow and ice over here. Maine knows how to cope pretty well I think, but if a single snowflake falls on London we have to declare a national emergency and call out the guard :lol:

BTW this doesn't apply to the likes of Scotland or even the North of England mostly, but I live about half way between the two so I could be affected either way.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

BTW this doesn't apply to the likes of Scotland or even the North of England mostly, but I live about half way between the two so I could be affected either way.
It snowed fairly heavily the winter before last - Manchester seized up completely for 4 days.....
viking777

Post by viking777 »

It snowed fairly heavily the winter before last - Manchester seized up completely for 4 days.....
OK. I was just trying to be an optimist - it doesn't come easy for me and I am not very good at it :(
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

viking777 wrote:

You hunker down and keep warm like a hibernating bear Gene, I have been in NE USA in the middle of winter and it isn't funny. Just do me a favour, don't send any of that snow and ice over here. Maine knows how to cope pretty well I think, but if a single snowflake falls on London we have to declare a national emergency and call out the guard :lol:

Here were I'm at in Indiana, they don't even run the snowplow in the town unless it snowed more than 3inches. Only 2 ways to get out of town, walk or drive, no mass transit system at all. Now you have an idea of why we like 4 wheel drive SUV's, not because we have money and gasoline to burn. :mrgreen: But most of us need to get out of town, just to get to work.
karliet

Post by karliet »

If any of you would like one of the dragonlance books just PM me il upload any of em to mediafire (unless i dont have it....unlikely) + i have almost 500 ebooks for programming and other comp stuff il try to check pms as often a possible
rfbennett1

Post by rfbennett1 »

karliet wrote:If any of you would like one of the dragonlance books just PM me il upload any of em to mediafire (unless i dont have it....unlikely) + i have almost 500 ebooks for programming and other comp stuff il try to check pms as often a possible
:shock: :shock: :shock: Do you have "The Forest King" :roll: :roll: :roll:
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

viking777 wrote:

Hey Viking.. :)

Sorry, so late to reply, but I missed your post. :oops:
Yes, we usually get around 10 ft + of snow over the winter. I just this week tuned up the old snow blower, truck and Jeep for the winter. Four wheel drive is pretty much a must have here. I am out in the boonies. Had a moose in the yard last week.
I like the change of seasons, but winter is TOO long here. Dont see bare ground until mid April.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Yes, we usually get around 10 ft + of snow over the winter.
10 feet :shock:

How tall are you? :lol:
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Not tall enough! :lol:

(10ft+ is total snowfall for the season, by late winter we usually have about a 3 ft pack.) :wink:

Return to “Open Chat”