Windows 7 Surpasses XP In Usage

Chat about just about anything else
Shadowfax
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 7 Surpasses XP In Usage

Post by Shadowfax »

Linux is draglining with 'others' whoever they are...

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.c ... e_globally

odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Windows 7 Surpasses XP In Usage

Post by odo5435 »

I'd bet that that situation would not have happened if customers were given the choice of whether they wanted to stick with WinXP when they purchased a new system. A lot would prefer to stick with the devil they know rather than learn a new OS. I'd also hazard a guess that the popularity of notebook units, with people subsequently dumping their desktops, might also be affecting the numbers.

Most of these so-called "statistics" are really only an accumulation of the number of computers sold and not of how many OS's are actually in use.
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon

ghostdawg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ghostdawg »

At the company I work for, contractors for IBM, we are still using Win XP. Though we got fairly new machines that originally came with Vista back in January, IBM removed it and installed XP. I do hope they install Win 7 on our machines at least in the computer room.

Angtagapagligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Hmmm everyone would drive Ford if you don't have the choice to get another car-brand. But you can't choose every Ford model. You just can choose one model. If Ford would say "Now this model is outdated you have to get this model." Would you be really suprised that this model is anytime more driven than the old model? ... Me not...
"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect."
  • - Linus Torvalds Interview with David Diamond, September the 28th 2003

deleted

Post by deleted »

This may be blasphemy, but I'd say Windows 7 isn't that bad. It's hard to recommend something when you start off a "isn't that bad", but you see that I still make a choice to use Mint everyday. I now spend 75% using MS visual studio for c++ development, where as I used to spend 100% in java development. Since the shift toward MSVS, I could re-image my PC as Windows host and a Linux guest (now I have a Linux host and a Windows guest), but I don't. I make the choice to use Linux everyday and I have never regretted it.
-H

odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Post by odo5435 »

hinto wrote:but I'd say Windows 7 isn't that bad
It's not so much about how bad/good Win7 is (I also reckon it's an improvement), it's more a case of how so-called journalists bandy around dubious "statistics" in an effort to skew peoples perceptions.
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon

Bob E
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob E »

The age of the purchaser is also a factor. I go as far back as Window 3.1, but young buyers / user have only been on the planet long enough to become "aware" of the personal computer with current operating systems. So, the first impression for "kids" was Vista, then 7. Naturally, they are going to go with what they have observed others using. (Just try and get one of them to agree to Windows 98SE.) Granted, there is only one choice from MS, but it's what they are used to. So, I would bet a large percentage of the statistics are related to a younger generation. And, not to knock the younger generation, but today's mentality is "Why should I build one if I can just buy one that's ready to go?"

Family is also a factor. "My grandaddy had a Ford, and my father had a Ford..." You see where this is going?

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

Bob E wrote:The age of the purchaser is also a factor. I go as far back as Window 3.1, but young buyers / user have only been on the planet long enough to become "aware" of the personal computer with current operating systems. So, the first impression for "kids" was Vista, then 7. Naturally, they are going to go with what they have observed others using. (Just try and get one of them to agree to Windows 98SE.) Granted, there is only one choice from MS, but it's what they are used to. So, I would bet a large percentage of the statistics are related to a younger generation. And, not to knock the younger generation, but today's mentality is "Why should I build one if I can just buy one that's ready to go?"

Family is also a factor. "My grandaddy had a Ford, and my father had a Ford..." You see where this is going?
And just think ... in the very near future hip hop and rap (crap) will be the golden oldies we will be forced to listen to!
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

deleted

Post by deleted »

@odo5435 You are correct about the journalists.
-H

Cythes
Level 1
Level 1
Location: I come from the net. Through people, places and systems to this place.... MINT!

Post by Cythes »

This comes as little to no supprise, it was only a matter of time but in truth I would stick to linux like glue to paper if I had it my way.
Networking class I am in would be SOOO much better under a linux base but it is registered through Cisco so its windows only.
(Time to test how well WINE would work for it if you ask me :D)

karliet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by karliet »

Bob E wrote:The age of the purchaser is also a factor. I go as far back as Window 3.1, but young buyers / user have only been on the planet long enough to become "aware" of the personal computer with current operating systems. So, the first impression for "kids" was Vista, then 7. Naturally, they are going to go with what they have observed others using. (Just try and get one of them to agree to Windows 98SE.) Granted, there is only one choice from MS, but it's what they are used to. So, I would bet a large percentage of the statistics are related to a younger generation. And, not to knock the younger generation, but today's mentality is "Why should I build one if I can just buy one that's ready to go?"

the family factor is a big decider in MOST cases however there are cases like me who every member of my family(there arent many =P) use windows only windows if you talk about anything else its BLASPHEMY. While going to a community college one of my instructors gave me a disc to try and it had (if you couldnt guess) LM8 i thought oh god i have to learn a new OS but once i got it installed and saw how it looked, how fast it was, AND it had firefox preinstalled (every girls dream) i instantly fell in love then i started fiddling with it and found oversword dark and fell MORE in love with it also i showed LM to my friends little boy(8) and he loves it, took alittle explaining but he took to it with minimal effort...he still cant understand the terminal though
"If to live, we have to be numb, I'd rather know the pain"

Bob E
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob E »

karliet wrote: i showed LM to my friends little boy(8) and he loves it
That's it! Linux parents and mentors - teach your kids Linux and they'll never look twice at MS. Maybe one day the title of that article will be "Linux Operating Systems surpass Microsoft usage"

deleted

Post by deleted »

We are a LMDE family.
I do however run XP and Win7 vms on my LMDE host.
However, for daily usage, Libre Office, Firefox, Picasa handle about all our needs.
-H

Angtagapagligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Angtagapagligt »

grey1960envoy wrote: And just think ... in the very near future hip hop and rap (crap) will be the golden oldies we will be forced to listen to!
Why do you say Rap is crap (wow that's a rhyme :))?
You know nothing about it and just call it "rap" cause you've heared about Eminem, 50 Cent and other dumpheads (they are NOT "rap"). If you would listen one time to real rap music the full flavour of this art will come to you, too. Maybe you won't like it as a music-genre for your personal opinion but you'll understand it.
"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect."
  • - Linus Torvalds Interview with David Diamond, September the 28th 2003

fbsduser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fbsduser »

hinto wrote:I'd say Windows 7 isn't that bad.
-H
Wait. You said that Windoze 7 is good. You seriously need to put down that 'shroom, it's frying your brain.
Last edited by fbsduser on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

swiftlinuxcreator
Level 2
Level 2

Post by swiftlinuxcreator »

How long did it take each of the predecessors (XP, 98, 95) to become the most widely used Windows OS? I know that Vista and ME never got there.

Windows 7 looks good compared to Vista. Of course, any car looks good compared to a Yugo, so that's not saying much.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

Stats are fine, if it is of interest..
--and as was pointed out Microsoft counts all sales, whether they are active or not, they are counted in the OEM channel, and of course represent estimates only, since the real numbers only exist after sales to real consumers..
--I don't know how Apple counts, but they control the whole product (hardware and software)

Seems it is only a matter of pushing a product to get uptake, or sometimes a rabid fan base, in the case of Apple products
  • I do appreciate their aesthetic (style) and quality
--just not a great fan, because of price points and minor updates being proffered as real changes/new versions: No different from Microsoft in that regard, albeit with more style

Btw, I think Steve Jobs was right Mr Bill has no imagination..

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

fbsduser wrote:Wait. You said that Windoze 7 is good. You seriously need to put down that 'shroom, it's frying your brain.
Yes, Windows 7 is good. If you are not able to see, to accept, this, then I would return the "compliment"...
DrHu wrote:in the case of Apple products
I do appreciate their aesthetic (style) and quality
There is no "aesthetic" in Apple products and the quality is, err... :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Open chat”