BANNED From a website??

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DavidS

BANNED From a website??

Post by DavidS »

Hey guys... I need help as I am VERY curious as to HOW this website owner has blocked me from his site.

I got blocked for telling him he doesn't know how to run his site. Long story, but he does not take care of his
own site, nor does he answer his emails. But God forbid, send him a message saying he is a poor site
administrator... You get BLOCKED Instantly!!

Well, the typical ways of getting banned are listed here:
http://whatismyipaddress.com/banned

I was running windows and changed my ip a couple of times, though I am STILL banned. So I thought...
maybe this guy is doing what the gaming sites do and bans by Unique Token. So, I inserted the MINT CD
and booted up live (of course after I had once again changed my ip address) and attempted to log onto his
site... and woulnd't you know... STILL BLOCKED!!

WHAT?? Now I am very curious and am wanting to find out what he could possibly be doing to keep me in
the ban.

Only other thing I can think of is blocking me by longitude/latitude or basic area... but he IS a business and
WHY would he want to block an area just to keep me out?

OR he could be blocking my MAC address or maybe the entire public ip. But then again, why would he want
to block a public ip. So that leaves the MAC adrress.

Anyone have any knowledge on this and maybe HOW to get around this block?

His website is: www.usedcarpetcleaning.com

I am in the cleaning business and was attempting to purchase equipment, though no one every returned my
messages.

Look forward to the response of you all...
ThistleWeb

Re: BANNED From a website??

Post by ThistleWeb »

The real question is why you are determined to connect to his site if he doesn't want you? I'd take that as a cue to find another site, as I couldn't do business with them. I'd also be stunned if the ban was for what you say, it's very harsh and doesn't make sense especially for a business. Businesses usually put customers and profit ahead of whether or not the customer likes them. When times are tight, that's an even stronger pull. My instincts are that you're not being honest about why you are banned, what the reason is I dunno. It could be a smear post on a competitor. The other side to this, is that getting help to evade bans on other sites, provides a resource for those banned from this site, to get around it and continue to disrupt the community. For that reason alone, I don't think you'll get much help on this.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

ThistleWeb wrote:The real question is why you are determined to connect to his site if he doesn't want you? I'd take that as a cue to find another site, as I couldn't do business with them. I'd also be stunned if the ban was for what you say, it's very harsh and doesn't make sense especially for a business. Businesses usually put customers and profit ahead of whether or not the customer likes them. When times are tight, that's an even stronger pull. My instincts are that you're not being honest about why you are banned, what the reason is I dunno. It could be a smear post on a competitor. The other side to this, is that getting help to evade bans on other sites, provides a resource for those banned from this site, to get around it and continue to disrupt the community. For that reason alone, I don't think you'll get much help on this.

Well, I'm so sorry you don't know me, but it IS the TRUTH! This is what I thought... VERY harsh... but many in my line of work are not too intelligent about how to handle a situation so both parties experience a win-win situation. I have dealt with this guy on a few occasion's and he has always been very unprofessional.

Regardless, I am simply curious as to HOW he is doing it. Please don't judge ME, I would just like to find what I am looking for.

Besides that, I have NEVER been banned on any site, until this situation.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Very easy. They can block by blocking anything from your ISP.
I know a couple people this happened to. They could not even get to the site and not logged in either. They would get a banned message. I saw this on their PC. These people found out that they could get to the site via a wireless connection via a different ISP or someones place who did not have the same ISP connection. They just did not try to log in but they could read all the messages. Not an issue.

L
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I have to agree with lexon. A couple of years ago I tried going to a site I had never been to before and encountered a ban message. The only explanation would be that the entire ISP that I used for internet access had been banned.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Just changing your IP in Windows won't help if it's just an internal LAN IP. Your modem is likely using a static external IP.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

WE have a similar problem on another sit on which i moderate, if we ban a member [ usually spammers or trolls]we first ban by user name, but they come back with a different user name, our second option is to block the ISP, this is where we have had problems occasionally, where the banned ISP is also shared by other members thus blocking them as well, for a site like the one i work on we have very few staff and insufficient time to check how many members use a particular ISP, so we wait for the usual messages from another member saying XXXZZZ cant get access,we then open the ISP and have to spend more time investigating new applicants from that ISP group [we have one mod who spends most of his time doing this job]

wizard
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

When I have difficulties with my IP address being rejected, I have used http://anonymouse.org/ to mask my location. Usually this is enough. Recently I have been experimenting with a program called freedom which is written in Java and runs well in Linux. This gives you a list of regional locations to choose from, so I set it up to use the UK. It is a little bit more technically demanding to set up than anonymouse. I have not had an opportunity to run this app in anger yet, but it is installed and ready for the next time I have problems. Another option that I am keeping in mind but did not test yet is a Firefox applet called FoxyProxy.

From the details of your post, I guess you did not make a large enough change in your IP address. You need to tell people you are in a different country.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Tor.
jfranklin

Post by jfranklin »

As the person that banned this nice fellow, let me show you why I banned him: various posts on my site/blog, here they are VERBATIM:

A new comment on the post "Welcome to UsedCarpetCleaning.com!" is waiting for your approval http://usedcarpetcleaning.com/welcome-t ... aning-com/

Author : Jak (IP: 97.124.10.200 , 97-124-10-200.phnx.qwest.net) E-mail : jak@hak.com
URL :
Whois : http://whois.arin.net/rest/ip/97.124.10.200
Comment:
You dip-shit, are a complete moron!! Your site is bullshit just like YOU!!!

You have not a CLUE as to HOW to run a real site!!!

Then he started using a proxy - various proxies, in fact.

Here's a webmaster he ripped off: http://www.48hourslogo.com/forum/viewto ... f=28&t=307 (oh look , carpet cleaning in Phoenix Arizona. Coincidence?)

I don't know this person, I've never met them, and never received any correspondence other than hateful, attacking emails and posts on my blog/site. Your guess is as good as mine why I was targeted with the hate campaign. Please stop abusing me - I have already contacted your ISP with copies of the offending emails, your IP address, and copies/screenshots of your posts here.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

I'm locking this and attracting the admin's attention.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

The Linux Mint forum, even Open Chat section, is not an appropriate place to get into details between users and admins of other forums/sites, especially on delicate topics such as banning. It appears the OP has gathered enough responses to his original question and no further discussion is necessary.

Return to “Open Chat”