do you surf the web anonymously?

Chat about just about anything else
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

do you surf the web anonymously?

Post by gatorade » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:28 pm

I was reading an article about surfing the internet anonymously using a proxy.
does anyone here know how to do this?
I was just wondering if there's any drawbacks to doing this, such as pages taking longer to load.

any comments are appreciated. :D
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3

istrandi
Level 4
Level 4

Re: do you surf the web anonymously?

Post by istrandi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:40 pm

depending on how you do that (Tor vs Random web proxies vs your own server) you can get differing results.

Tor (https://www.torproject.org/) = a great variety of speeds. My internet is not the fastest, so usually I don't see any impact on speed when running through Tor. Its good, cause you don't get annoying pop-up ads, and you can be (reasonably) sure that you aren't being logged by the proxies 'owner' as Tor doesn't really have one. Also, you can choose specific regions, to get around restrictions like on the BBC iPlayer. You can download the 'Tor Browser' or configure your own browser to go through Vidalia relatively easily. Note: Tor browser does not play videos... :twisted:

Random web proxies = You don't have much of an idea about how they treat your data. I occasionally use them on school computers to get around the pesky admins blocking sites (I lol that they don't block facebook, but anything related to encryption/privacy is blocked. Then again... when reg edit isn't locked, but command prompt/terminal is... ). You can get annoying ads too, if you directly use them. Also, a lot of them are exceedingly slow... As for a how to: in firefox (I'm on a mac, so not sure of the exact naming), simply select Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Network->Settings(Connection)->Select Manual proxy configuration, plug the details in and off you go.

Your own server = In some ways, you lose anonymity straight away, dependent on how easy it is to get information about who owns the server etc. However, you are (pretty much) guaranteed of the integrity of your data, and the speed at which you browse. However, needs a bit more technical no-how than the first two.

And as for surfing the net anonymously - I don't normally bother, except to unlock silly region specific sites. :D
When your problem is solved, add to the title of your first post [Solved].
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use: linux mint 11 main, mac osx 10.6, windows 7, ubuntu server

Scientia Vires Est.

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Oscar799 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:22 am

Moved here from Newbie Questions

karliet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by karliet » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:02 pm

i do through a number of ways OPERAtor proxyswitch and a couple other ways
"If to live, we have to be numb, I'd rather know the pain"

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:26 pm

pros/cons of surfing anon? Since I've made the switch to Linux and started using Firefox, I figured I created a bit of a fortress for my info..... just wondering, I'm a bit of a newb.
I like everything custom. My vehicles, my Operating Systems, my bank accounts....... I guess I'm just spoiled........maybe

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
I Forget What Happened 15min ago......
Should I expect myself?

karliet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by karliet » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:28 pm

minitrucker wrote:pros/cons of surfing anon? Since I've made the switch to Linux and started using Firefox, I figured I created a bit of a fortress for my info..... just wondering, I'm a bit of a newb.
the con is your internet is only as fast as the ping is (lower is better)
the pro is more anonymous surfing i.e. less trackable
"If to live, we have to be numb, I'd rather know the pain"

istrandi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by istrandi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:36 am

note: just using a proxy is NEVER enough. There are plenty of other methods of tracking you - cookies amongst others.

You need to actually change your browsing habits... disabling javascript is usually a good start (get the NoScript add on for firefox).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scientia Vires Est.

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:53 am

You need to actually change your browsing habits... disabling javascript is usually a good start (get the NoScript add on for firefox)
this was what I was referring to. I have all add-ons disabled except for noScript(the only thing that runs). But using proxies provide even more security? IMO it sounds like too much trouble for not really handful more of security compared to my current setup......but I could be misunderstanding the workings of proxies
Last edited by minitrucker on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like everything custom. My vehicles, my Operating Systems, my bank accounts....... I guess I'm just spoiled........maybe

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:25 am

istrandi wrote:note: just using a proxy is NEVER enough. There are plenty of other methods of tracking you - cookies amongst others.

You need to actually change your browsing habits... disabling javascript is usually a good start (get the NoScript add on for firefox).
+1

istrandi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by istrandi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Depending on how the proxy works, it can help reduce you 'trackability'.

The idea is it masks your ip address. Your ip address can provide a tracker across multiple websites (especially if you have a static one). It can also link you to a certain geographic region (i.e. your city).

If you followed the idea of using a server as a proxy, then it is still trackable as a fixed ip. If you use tor, this constantly changes (every 10 minutes by default) AND it generally has no relevance to your geographic region.

Basically, a lot of 'exit nodes' improves your anonimity.

Also, how paranoid are you? There are other ways of tracking you, such as the reverse DNS of your ip. This can include sensitive info, like account numbers, or it can just be an ip address tagged onto your providers name. It depends. Proxies help counter this too.

BTW, if you do go down the tor route and have bandwidth to spare, setting yourself up as a node has certain advantages/disadvantages. Make sure you understand them.

Scientia Vires Est.

nadir
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadir » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:27 pm

istrandi wrote:note: just using a proxy is NEVER enough. There are plenty of other methods of tracking you - cookies amongst others.

For example this site:
http://whattheinternetknowsaboutyou.com ... noscript=2
might help a bit to check the browsing habits.

Yes, i use tor.

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:22 am

it told me it didn't know anything about me but I've still experienced lag here and there in FF. I'm always wireless though and I don't hawkeye the connection so.....?

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

istrandi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by istrandi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:30 am

Yeah - wireless can equal lag spikes, especially if you are sharing the connection with other people.
Interesting side note: My mac manages to snag about 60% of the speed in a three way set up if all my computers are downloading, despite the fact one of the other computers is wired... it just seems to be faster.

Oh, and if its just the mint forums... this happens for some interesting reason.

However, try hawk-eyeing (is that a word?) your wifi at some point when this happens. It might tell you something interesting - like you got disconnected...

If this *is* the case, then it is possible that:
a) You have a problem with network-manager
b) Your wireless AP has a problem
c) Someone is forcing you to disconnect (hacking into your wifi)

Scientia Vires Est.

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:05 am

Oh wow! I have halfway noticed it's mostly in the forums. That's crazy.
Oh, and if its just the mint forums... this happens for some interesting reason.
And I have learned a couple of the commands to watch my connection but I still haven't exactly learned everything I'm looking at. Especially as far as someone else on my network. I don't really think my neighbours are bright enough or in such desperate need of internet to hack wireless at home. Where can I learn that specific command and which line(s) that I need to watch?

edit: oh and how did you like my new word there? ;P

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

istrandi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by istrandi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:04 am

Hmm... I'm afraid of crossing over into actual 'hacking' if we continue down this path. One method would be to see which networks your neighbours are connected to... and if its yours then worry.

The reason I mentioned the disconnect is if someone is trying to (but has not yet succeeded) in hacking into your network, one symptom may be them disconnecting you, to force you to reconnect and provide them with the data they need.

Scientia Vires Est.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:17 am

Pointless o course ... but am on a tangent tonite. So bear with me ... last one for awhile. :D

1. For the overwhelming majority ... online anonymity and "privacy" is the stuff disney movies are made of. You have an ISP ... correct ? Well ... your ISP knows exactly who ya are. Probably knows your SSN#, DOB, Credit/debit #'s ... Eye color, lol. Kidding about that last one ... but wouldn't be hard for em to get that info if they wanted to. That ISP can ... and who knows, very well might. Track each and every packet sent from and recieved by your computer(s). In a 21st century technological world, ( filled with "terrorists" hiding behind every bush and under every rock. According to my govt anyway ... friggin boneheads.) digital privacy is about as real as unicorns or puff the magic dragon. ;) Could continue on in this vein ... but why ?

2. Folks already mentioned lil things like cookie tracking. Google ever cookies, flash cookies, super cookies etc. Though again ... getting rid of them might keep some parties from easily tracking you. Doesn't mean you have online privacy. See point #1 above. AND ok great, folks found out about ever cookies. We can stop worrying about em now everybody ... kay ? However, what else is out there and going on that nobody even heard, found or knows about yet ?

3. Random babblings about proxies. Honestly no way to really know. Do you own the proxy server ? Do you know who does ? etc. Not all of em are created equal either. Some of em pass your info right along to the connections you're making anyway. Google stuff like elite proxy or whatever for additional blahblah. Also see point #1 above again. Random attempt at being helpful to fellow gnu/nixers. Might want to keep in mind too. That you'd be sending info ( often unencrypted info ) through a 3rd party you don't know from Adam. Whether or not that unknown person is logging it or looking it over for poss fun and profit is anybodies guess. ;)

Ya never know ... for example I just stole one of you folks bank acct number. Not telling ya which one though ... That'd be silly ! Of course I'm messing around there. Don't call da cops ... :D Yikes ... am starting to make myself paranoid. Best way I tend to look at it is not wasting too much time or lose much sleep over it. After thought ... definitely agree with the folks advising noscript *thumbs up. Imo ... absolute must have addon. If for no other reason than the RAM and CPU it saves by keeping useless annoying webjunk from eating your sys up.

After afterthought: Also not saying don't get rid of blantant ( also annoying ) junk like ever cookies etc. Absolutely do that imo. No reason to just lay down and take it from anyone and everyone in da world kinda deal, shrugs. etc.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

istrandi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by istrandi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:35 am

I'm in a tangenty (another new word :D ) mood too.

@ Point 1: yes to an extent, BUT you can use protocols like ssh that are *meant* to be safe - end to end encryption that can mask what you are doing in theory...

@ Point 2: Too true - easiest way to keep safe: Don't browse :D On a more serious note... Limiting the access websites have to your computer can help - sure it might kill a lot of features, but you CAN stop a lot (unless its built into the browser... then... hope that someone picks it out of the source code? )

@ Point 3: Yep... Just go and rent a VPS and own the server, or better yet, get your own. That's what I'd do if I was really paranoid. Then... pipe all your traffic through the server (use a Virtual Machine and force all outgoing connections from this through the server) and force https before you touch any site. And use a command line browser (strips out a lot of GUI junk like ads and javascript). And run reverse DNS on every site so you know who runs it. Oh, don't use facebook too. More seriously, the point about https is especially valid. CHECK FOR IT!

Scientia Vires Est.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:25 am

Yeah ! One more thing to include while all the proper evasive maneuvers are being taken. Don't ... DO NOT forget to ... wear a tinfoil hat. ;)

Couldn't resist ... alrighty, nite folks. WAS THAT A TERRORIST !??!!?

(edit) Me again ... while I'm not getting anything remotely productive done. May as well post more of my babbling junk. Sure folks have mentioned, not knowing the person adminin a proxy. Have to ask yourself ... why would a person you've never met be nice enough to set up and pay for a server, so complete strangers can use it to "anonymously" web surf ? Only noble reason I can think of ... Is something like helping people in countries where the net is heavily censored get around whatever gestapo. While can think of tons of weird (unfriendly) reasons someone might. For example, might just be set up and paid for by those same folks putting ever cookies on our comps ? Same folks someone is trying to use proxies to keep from tracking em, lol. How'd that be for irony ? :D

:D Jmo ... and would bet, #1 most common legit use for proxies ? People who wanna visit a website that for whatever reasons the network admin has blocked. Like OMG ... I haven't been able to get on facebook for a whole 10mins ... oh my gawd, like totally. D: Ok 4 real time to shut it, ya may've noticed I can babble on quite a bit about topics like this. Is one of my pet peeves anyway. Please proxy responsibly. Whatever else happens ... will tell ya this much. GNU/LINUX ROCKS ! ;)

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:23 pm

OMG ... I haven't been able to get on facebook for a whole 10min
Or when someone has been banned from 4chan on your school connection....... I know, I know, that's two strikes against safety (4chan+open network) but I'm still in the honeymoon, so much safer than windows, let's see them infect me mode with Linux right now.

As far as the hacking goes, I actually saw a few programs in the software manager that would attack a secure network for you. I was floored even though I know Linux is a hacker friendly environment. I just want to learn the command prompts to monitor my own network. And it would be cool to watch the open network if I get bored at school..... no homo--I mean hacking;P

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Oscar799 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:28 pm

This thread is straying dangerously close to a discussion of illegal activity.
Best it goes no further down that road

Forum Rules state
[4] No Illegal Material

Any requests for help pertaining to illicit computer activities is prohibited and will not be supported (i.e., piracy, malicious hacking). Requesting, distributing, or linking illegal material is forbidden.

Return to “Open chat”