do you surf the web anonymously?

Chat about just about anything else
minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Re: do you surf the web anonymously?

Post by minitrucker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:02 am

still looking for a way to monitor my network. aircrack-ng seems too attack heavy and wireshark is over my head in the instillation process. I think an IP bomb is what blew my windows up and trying to figure out ways to monitor and prevent these types of things
I like everything custom. My vehicles, my Operating Systems, my bank accounts....... I guess I'm just spoiled........maybe

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
I Forget What Happened 15min ago......
Should I expect myself?

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Wireshark shouldn't be too difficult to install. What did you have trouble with? If you want to monitor your network it's the tool for the job. You can inspect individual packets assuming you know what you're looking at.

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Wireshark says it needs root permissions to run. I got the PDF from the site, but I guess I'm mostly just scared of fubaring my system while I'm in root trying to give Wireshark permissions. Being a noob coming winderps I don't have a complete grasp on all of this yet. I don't actually even know if my card will actually do what it needs to do for WS to do its thing. WS and aircrack both were telling me I didn't have permissions to perform what I was trying to do. But honestly I'm not even sure I entered the right command.
I like everything custom. My vehicles, my Operating Systems, my bank accounts....... I guess I'm just spoiled........maybe

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:11 pm

One more question: How useful would live HTTP headers on FF be? I'm trying to learn what to look for. And what's the best place to cookie IDs? wiki?

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:43 pm

minitrucker wrote:Wireshark says it needs root permissions to run. I got the PDF from the site, but I guess I'm mostly just scared of fubaring my system while I'm in root trying to give Wireshark permissions. Being a noob coming winderps I don't have a complete grasp on all of this yet. I don't actually even know if my card will actually do what it needs to do for WS to do its thing. WS and aircrack both were telling me I didn't have permissions to perform what I was trying to do. But honestly I'm not even sure I entered the right command.
Normally it does require running as root. However, if you add your normal user account to the "wireshark" group you should be able to run it without root privileges. Run this:

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G wireshark your_username

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:29 pm

thank you! I'll try that once I get my hard drive problem figured out....

Oh and I'm just curious, can aircrack-ng or wireshark fry a modem? Or was it just coincidence that my modem at home bit the dust about the time I started trying to monitor my network?

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:16 pm

Wireshark is a passive application that simply collects packets that enter and leave the specified network node (which by default is the host computer that it's installed on). Aircrack-ng can be used to send packets to a wireless AP, but that isn't going to fry it. I don't know what it can be used for in relation to a modem though.

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:23 am

thought it was just coinky dink that my cheap comcast loner modem fried about the same time I started trying all this.

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:16 am

So I was playing around with Wireshark trying to get it let me in and some weird stuff just happened. I know for a fact I didn't type shutdown -r 0, nor did I hit ctrl+alt+backspace. But my comp just rebooted itself while I was in the middle of typing some parameters into wireshark. I have no idea. It has also been kinda slow lately... I think I'm about to put a fresh install on here. It seems I've messed with too many things on this install. Unless I actually found a virus....

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:32 am

karliet wrote:i do through a number of ways OPERAtor proxyswitch and a couple other ways
Isn't Operator an ancient and therefore lame browser? :o
Rather use tor-browser dowloadable from torproject web or TAILS (Amnesia Incognito Live CD :)).
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick_Djinn » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:29 am

Using TOR can be painful, depending on some factors. You probably want to disable flash and JavaScript and video and maybe even graphics. A minimal graphics mode with a light weight browser can help speed things up, though latency is still a huge issue.

AnonymousX is another addon that is faster than Tor. It gives you some generic predefined proxys. Hopefully its trustworthy.

You can also set up a remote computer that you control, or have several computers that you control in common.

It also helps just to avoid trackers with Ghostery and Tracker Bloc, and to clean cookies often. Log out of facebook and email, use an email client instead.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:12 am

Ghostery is not necessary if you run NoScript and Adblock Plus as the scripts and nasty little iFrames are all blocked anyway.

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:34 pm

I'm running NoScript and ghostery is still telling me it's blocking background cookies. Like when visit these very forums it tells me it's blocking the Google adsense tracking cookie. Tracker Block either works completely in the background or doesn't have much left to do cuz it never notifies me of anything. And I haven't been able to find any stored cookies but I'm a noob and probably not looking in the right place. Plus with all these add-ons and FF setup to not remember anything at all, I'm hoping there aren't any to find.

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:55 pm

BTW, new TAILS ver. 0.9 is out ! ;)
https://tails.boum.org/download/index.en.html
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

minty33
Level 2
Level 2

Post by minty33 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:38 pm

TOR is very anonymous and secure but not supposed to be used with file sharing well torrents at least because of bandwith usage but from what I understand all traffic can be run through it even non-browser stuff like nmap ect.... and you've read the problems with web proxies (you don't know what the proxie itself logs) although i do use http://www.hidemyass.com(web proxy) to surf diff regions by picking the proxy server location i want to use.

A better option to free proxies is free VPN - http://itshidden.com/ - is free works with linux and you can use bittorrent and other file sharing anonymously.
also remember surfing and downloading anonymously is just anonymous to the sight or person you connect to not your ISP - don't ever get the idea your ISP doesn't know what sights you've been on if it ever comes to them needing to know for example a warrent by the fuzz will allow them to track you through your ISP, however they need to know what your doing or have evidence to get said warrent and with anonymous surfing with TOR for example a potential hacker can cover his tracks so the ISP to track is not known hence no warrent.

an example of proxies logging info is lulzsec (the sony ps3 hackers were given up by their proxy service (coincidentally hidemyass.com which i mentioned i use - legally however) reference this article http://www.thetechherald.com/article.ph ... Sec-member . this is why TOR is also generally better because there is no central location to get this logged info as with proxies and i guess even VPN's. TOR uses all IP"s randomly in a proxy chain of people using TOR wich is a ton
not a central serve like a proxy or VPN service. I understand It's not impossible to track TOR but you have to go through literally thousands of IP's to get to the source. TOR was popular to get through the great firewall of china at the Bejing olympics i read. it was sold on USB's as "the freedom stick" to foriegners who wanted the freedom of their home country's internet not china's censored internet. of course TOR's free but ppl who knew nothing about this stuff bought the USB's. reference http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/ ... hip-449233

This information is just that information i'm not suggesting the only reason or your reason to surf anonymously is for illegal purposes. I use it sometimes because it's my right and it is safer. for example i hate how google gives me ads ect... based on my area for example like if i search dog groomer it will say you need a dog groomer in XYZ where XYZ is the town you live in wich is info provided by your ISP.

good topic ppl - PEACE
We all pay for life with death so everything in between should be free. - Bill Hicks

Return to “Open chat”