Linux Friendly Laptops

Chat about just about anything else
toomanyquestions
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Friendly Laptops

Post by toomanyquestions »

I've read that intel chips are generally more linux-friendly than their amd counterparts; now I'm wondering how linux-friendly budget-brands like Lenovo & Acer tend to be...Dells can get expensive :) I've seen a few a few nice models at BB - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+La ... 8422893956 - but Linux on Laptops didn't seem to have info about the newer models. Hopefully someone has some experience...

Bob E
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Friendly Laptops

Post by Bob E »

Well, I've got 2 Asus Eee netbooks with Intel chips (a 10" 1.6ghz and a 12" 1.8ghz) and I've installed a small variety of Ubuntu-based Linux distros with NO problems. However, I run light distros on them to keep them speedy. I've got Lubuntu 11.04 and Mint 11 LXDE as a dual boot on the 12" Asus. I have run Mint 10 Main edition on the 10", but it's not as snappy as the LXDE distros. At one time I had Bodhi Linux (E17 Enlightenment DE) on each and they run fine.

Also, with each Eee and distro, everything worked just fine. The touchpads, Fn functions (brightness, audio volume, etc.) and wireless connections all worked as designed.

So, if you are looking at that Lenovo, it won't have any problems handling any Linux distro you put on it. It's a little more beefy than my netbooks.

As far as AMD chips, I don't have any experience with them on laptops, but all my desktops are AMD and Linux runs great on them.

RETNUH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RETNUH »

Brand-wise Dell has pretty good linux support.
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. -Albert Einstein

Formerly known as Luckydog.

Looking for me? Check the IRC I've been hanging out there.

podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

as with luckydog i agree by far dell is the easiest to install linux on.
intel is a lot more friendlier with distros than amd.
amd,depending on which graphics card you have,can be a real pain,but,some amd cards are just plug and play.for others it requires a bit of work which actually gets easier with the attempts you make.
but by far intel is the way to go if you dont want the hassle of a project.
Say it with me,"podagee,....(poh-duh-gee),"
got it?GOOD!

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393 Intel i7
octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Windows 8 PRO w/WMC 64bit

daslinkard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daslinkard »

I work in a computer repair shop and from my own experience Dell PC's are more troublesome. In the past 3 weeks we have had 6 Dells with hard drive issues with PC age ranging from 3 months to 9 months. Dell tech support tries to tell the customer it is a software related problem and for $293 they can fix the issue. Yet when the laptop is making a clicking noise when you turn it on...it is not software related. Five years ago Dell was a great choice but imo not true today.

coolpup
Level 2
Level 2

Post by coolpup »

toomanyquestions wrote:I've read that intel chips are generally more linux-friendly than their amd counterparts; now I'm wondering how linux-friendly budget-brands like Lenovo & Acer tend to be...Dells can get expensive :) I've seen a few a few nice models at BB - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+La ... 8422893956 - but Linux on Laptops didn't seem to have info about the newer models. Hopefully someone has some experience...
I've been running one Linux or another on my Acer Aspire 4530, with an AMD Athlon X2 64-bit CPU for over 2 years. I've only had trouble with a couple of distros. Maybe the machine is too new for them, or it could be something else. Generally speaking, though, I haven't had a stitch of trouble with Linux on this machine, other than the trouble that I've caused. :P

podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

daslinkard: i agree with dell having issues with hard drive speed but it ant a really bad issue.
only downside is fedora and opensuse cant be installed on my machine.it says i have many bad sectors.dont know a thing about those distros so im not too worried with ubuntu and mint it says,on disk utility,that i have a few bad sectors.not too worried about it because a new hard drive runs about 30 and up.i still think dell is a good choice.wouldnt mind a sony but very costlyGoogle

Advertising ProgramsBusiness SolutionsPrivacy
+GoogleAbout Google
iGoogleChange background image
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

Avoid Asus, especially Asus with Optimus graphics. A Dell or a Thinkpad with Intel graphics is probably best suited for Linux.

EDIT: The Ubuntu community has a site for this: https://friendly.ubuntu.com/
Unfortunately it hasn't really taken off yet ratings wise but otherwise Ubuntu friendly should easily translate to Mint friendly.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

antikythera

Post by antikythera »

Not sure about the latest generation hardware but I have not experienced and show stoppers on either Intel or AMD hardware in my notebooks. Both work best with LM9 in my opinion but will run LM10 and LM11. Notebook 1 cannot run LM12 at all due to lack of graphics memory though, 32MB won't cut it. Notebook 2 works with LM12 as well.

Notebook 1: HP Compaq nx9105 - AMD Athlon XP-M 3000+ 1.6Ghz (very early lower power K8 Socket 754), nVidia nForce 3 chipset, Geforce 4 Go 420 GPU (running LXDE 9)

Notebook 2: Asus F3Sr - Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel 965 Mobile chipset, ATI Radeon HD 2400 GPU (running Gnome 9)

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I just got an Acer 5552-7677 laptop with AMD Phenom II X4 970 quad core processor and ATi HD 4250 graphics....works perfectly on Linux. My Dell and Acer laptops that are a bit older work well also, but Dell often uses Broadcom wireless chips that require proprietary driver and/or firmware. not a big deal to get them going, but can be a bit more difficult if you aren't familiar with how.

Bob E
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob E »

daslinkard wrote:Five years ago Dell was a great choice but imo not true today.
+1

So true. One of my neighbors works in a local computer repair shop. He says he gets a lot of NEW Dell laptops coming in for repair.

Matti L
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Matti L »

bimsebasse wrote:Avoid Asus, especially Asus with Optimus graphics.
I've got a new Asus X53E and installed Mint 12 in it. I haven't really tested "everything", but so far it's working great. It has Intel HD graphics. Only problems I've had was tons of bloatware in Windows and Gnome 3.

toomanyquestions
Level 2
Level 2

Post by toomanyquestions »

Bob E wrote:Well, I've got 2 Asus Eee netbooks with Intel chips (a 10" 1.6ghz and a 12" 1.8ghz) and I've installed a small variety of Ubuntu-based Linux distros with NO problems.
Do you feel comfortable passing along the model numbers?...

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

Matti L wrote:
bimsebasse wrote:Avoid Asus, especially Asus with Optimus graphics.
I've got a new Asus X53E and installed Mint 12 in it. I haven't really tested "everything", but so far it's working great. It has Intel HD graphics. Only problems I've had was tons of bloatware in Windows and Gnome 3.
You're alright with Intel graphics, the Nvidia Optimus on my Asus is designed to make you not choose linux. It works surprisingly well in Mint 12 though (not the graphics switching part of it), so kudos to mint team patching because it didn't in Ubuntu 11.10. What's the bloatware in Gnome 3? I think it has about the same amount of standard programs as Gnome 2 did.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I've got 3 acer netbooks running Linux right now. As long as you run something light they run very well.
KBD47

Bob E
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob E »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Bob E wrote:Well, I've got 2 Asus Eee netbooks with Intel chips (a 10" 1.6ghz and a 12" 1.8ghz) and I've installed a small variety of Ubuntu-based Linux distros with NO problems.
Do you feel comfortable passing along the model numbers?...
The 10" is 1005HA, and the 12" is 1215N.

podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

well i have a intel core duo dell e1505 and ive tried every distro that has been coming out since narwhal no matter what linux distro it is it just runs on my dell
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram

ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

toomanyquestions wrote:now I'm wondering how linux-friendly budget-brands like Lenovo & Acer tend to be...Dells can get expensive :)
Budget brand Lenovo?? More of a business brand, with some of the best working machines money can buy. Lots of Linux developers use Lenovo Thinkpads ... no wonder they are very well supported. Choose a Sandy Bridge system with HD3000 graphics.

My X220 runs beautifully, idles at 5 W (~ 7 h of light work on battery, some kernel related tweaks to revert the power regressions). I just love it.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

Matti L
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Matti L »

bimsebasse wrote:
Matti L wrote:Only problems I've had was tons of bloatware in Windows and Gnome 3.
What's the bloatware in Gnome 3? I think it has about the same amount of standard programs as Gnome 2 did.
No bloatware in Gnome 3, just in Windows. My bad, should've been more clear.

PS. for anyone buying ASUS, do not uninstall Oberon Game Park. It messes up the registry. Just delete the folder. :wink:

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Most laptops with Intel HD Graphics (without hybrid AMD/nVidia) work well. HP, Dell and Lenovo test laptops for Linux compatibility and most Sony Vaio models also don't cause much problems.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Open chat”