SuddeInlink Is capping user internet Service

Chat about just about anything else
tbruff13
Level 1
Level 1

SuddeInlink Is capping user internet Service

Post by tbruff13 »

Suddenlink is now capping user internet service, and I need help telling them that it is not right to just start capping internet service for home users. Our current cap is now 250gigs. While this is a generous cap I believe that this cap will restrict users ability to download large files (like Linux Mint) I understand that this does not really affect Mint, but I believe that if your ISP starts to behave like your cell phone company I will start to harm Linux Distros as well as online streaming media. When I talked to a suddenlink rep he said said in certain words that in order for suddenlink to keep their system running they had to limit streaming or other internet intensive applications like netflix YouTube and hulu. I can see through their cap. The fact that they released the new Suddenlink Go service a few weeks before the caps to me shows that they are trying to destroy net neutrality. I know this might not be the right place for this post, but I need help fighting this new "capped" service. So if you support net neutrality please spread the word and help me show ISP that they cannot punish users for being active on their home internet connection. So if you would like to support my cause please sign this petition. http://goo.gl/qW8KQ

P.S. if anyone looks at my other posts you will see that I have been a petition person lately. This is not really me I acually do not like to have to make a huge fuss. I just see capping as something that is not going to be good for Linux (or Windows) in the long-run, and if you use Suddenlink, and you have not gotten this letter yet don't worry they will send it. They are not even giving current users a grandfather plan like AT&T did with cell phone service.

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: SuddeInlink Is capping user internet Service

Post by Midnighter »

We've had caps for years over here in Australia. It's usually slightly offset by certain ISP's mirroring a lot of content for free, and it being quota-free to download from the mirror.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

Capped services are the norm in UK too. You can get uncapped services, you just have to pay more for them, and the term 'uncapped' is always qualified by a 'fair use policy' which basically says that if they want to cap you they will anyway. ISP's in general are mostly crooked (over here they don't even bother paying their tax bills :? ), I actually had a decent one once, but they got 'taken over' by one of the worst examples of the genre in this country and since then they have put the price up by more than 10% in a year, and constantly harassed me with junk emails and unwanted phone calls about 'special offers' all designed to get me tied into a long contract period. Unfortunately protesting about it is not going to make it go away, it is too well entrenched, I think your only option (and mine) is to change isp's. If they have changed your T+C's in mid contract then you ought to be able to get out of it without penalty in my opinion, but then I am not a lawyer, so don't quote me.

Another thing is that my cap is 10Gb/month, and I am sure I must use more than that (with the old company I could monitor my usage on their website, the new company removed that function), the point is they have never questioned my usage, and if they ever did I would just ask for a mac code and move straight away.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

Bob E
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob E »

viking777 wrote:I actually had a decent one once, but they got 'taken over' by one of the worst examples of the genre in this country and since then they have put the price up by more than 10% in a year, and constantly harassed me with junk emails and unwanted phone calls about 'special offers' all designed to get me tied into a long contract period.
+1

Same song, different continent. My current ISP was fast and cheap. Then, someone in one of the top positions decided to raise the rates and barrage existing customers with almost daily junk snail mail.

w2ibc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by w2ibc »

ISP's have become evil monsters.

back when broadband came out around here. you were given a modem and the speed you got was the speed you got no caps.

then they started in with caps, and ripping people off with this for 30 you only get 1.5 down for 50 you get 3 down ect ect.

total rip-offs. and people have let them get away with this. people will moan about the US Gov censorship bill. but yet these same people never said a word when american ISP's began to rip people off.

and people wonder why the USA isnt even in the top 10 when it comes to internet broadband rankings.
LMDE XFCE pae-kernel since 8/12/12

Stennie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stennie »

There's no capped Internet here in Namibia..... but its very expensive and slow... :D

wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wyrdoak »

Comcast in the USA has always had a cap of 250GBs a month. That' what I use. That never slowed me down, really I think you would have to work at it to make the cap, then you have to hit the cap 3 times and get the warnings before they start messing with you. I have 3 users in the house with their own computer and still haven't gotten near it.
-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
15GB RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-19.3: LMDE)

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Where i'm at we have Iinet, on 400GIG plan, 200 GIG on peak, and 200GIG off. Pretty sure until I came here, they never even approached that. :)

I have the Netusage extension for firefox to keep track of usage levels, and regulate use accordingly. Has worked out quite well so far, I do my usual work/etc when home/awake, and leave my "other" downloading qeued up to be done during off-peak hours. Has worked fairly well so far, and still remain under usage levels. All it takes really is a little planning and control. Work with what you have, and plan accordingly. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

Return to “Open chat”