ubuntuforums are a little mint sensitive

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
CapitalG

ubuntuforums are a little mint sensitive

Post by CapitalG »

just got banned from ubuntuforums after being a member there for 3 years. over something very stupid! someone started a thread in there community cafe about cinnamon and of course the conversation got a little minty. so after 3 pages of talk a mod closed the thread and told everyone is they wanted to talk about linux mint to move it to other os talk section. so that's what i did and as soon as i started a new thread in the area they told us to move it to. again it was closed, but this time with some insults posted from the mod. then i send a few not so nice pms to the mods and the rest or should i say i am history :mrgreen:

just weird never had a problem talking about linux mint before on there? now it's like there trying to eliminate any talk of it all together? i can't believe how rude the forum staff is there :evil:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: ubuntuforums are a little mint sensitive

Post by mank_in »

I am not member of ubuntu forum , but i see a common case posted before: ubuntu paronia?
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

@CapitalG

The thread cited by @mank_in explains some of this. I have never had a problem in "Other OS/Distro Talk" -- even when Mint became #1 on DistroWatch. But, it looks like they want those topics in that section only.
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

ubuntu is mad bro.

*insert troll face*
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Common occurance ... my feelings ( bad feelings, lol ) towards buntu isn't exactly a secret. Anal forum and forum mods being one of many reasons for it. Was a member for all of a couple dys and asked them to close my account, so at least they didn't have the satisfaction of banning me. Besides, ubuntu anything will never be my gnu/nix of choice regardless, they can keep their forum. :D

Oh well ... definitely not the end of the world, Linux Mint's forums are better than buntu's anyway. Distro's better, forums better ... poor Canonical Inc. That pesky Mint !!! Let's just pretend it doesn't exist ! Worked for M$ for 20yrs ! Nobody speak it's name darn it or face the dreaded BAN !

*Insert another troll face* :D
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

And the funny thing is that the name "Ubuntu" means "Humanity to others". I guess freedom of speech doesn't apply. Yep, not a friendly place that "buntu" forum. At least here you can argue about anything freely, as long as you don't start personal attacks. I guess now days, "Linux Mint" on their forum is "The Operating System that must not be named!"
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I've been a member there since 2009 I think and I can honestly attest to the change in attitude toward other distros, particularly Mint. Pinguy isn't a favorite either, but to a lesser degree. I just don't understand the expressions I have seen from some users and mods when topics are just discussing and not slamming Ubuntu or luring users away from Ubuntu.

Something else that is alarming lately are the number of 'don't talk about Unity anymore' posts by mods in response to any Unity discussion about its bad points. Sure, it's been discussed more than probably any other single topic on the forum, but not by every user. So just because you or I talked about it last month shouldn't mean a new user simply cannot discuss their views with others joining in to agree or disagree. That's the point of forums, but it has almost become a taboo to speak negatively about Unity. I suppose it is because they have seen so many discussions over and over again for the same topic, but they don't like users to respond to older posts and they are shutting down new ones that repeat old topics....so are new users to simply say nothing?

I don't care either way, but it's almost like censorship now, going beyond controlling the proper function and behaviors on the forum. Some seem to be defending Ubuntu by upholding a behavior standard that includes not saying anything negative about the distro (mostly Unity)...but that's how ideas are generated and ingenuity is fostered. Sure, the devs aren't on the forums, but users with Launchpad accounts could come to some great ideas during those types of discussions and shutting them down just seems to accomplish little other than making some newer users feel less than accepted by the community. I just try to avoid those discussions since I have had my say regarding unity, but everyone deserves an opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback or see if their complaints could possibly just be frustrations from things they don't yet know how to do in Ubuntu.

Ok, last comment...Arch users are heavy in their participation in the ubuntu forums. It has always been welcomed by the userbase, especially since Arch users tend to be more savvy than lesser experienced users...so why not Mint users and Mint discussions? It can't be because mint is a derivative because.....well.....Ubuntu is a derivative. And it's not a competition. It's just a bunch of linux users sharing thoughts and ideas about what they use, how it works and what can be improved.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

TBABill wrote:...it's almost like censorship now,...
</understatement>
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

I know DistroWatch is not the definitive score-card for distros, but look how far they have fallen in the last 7 days. This is probably another reason for them acting like Stormtroopers.
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

wow i havent checked distrowatch in a while. what a huge difference! :shock:

Return to “Open Chat”