looking for another distro for 64ram

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
fleamailman

looking for another distro for 64ram

Post by fleamailman »

Hi, I have a laptop with only 64ram, I have tried dsl linux and find hard to use and it gives me a hassle in booting each time, no sound too, I am looking for a light distro, I have also tried puppy linux which hasn't taken to date, does anyone here have a distro that I can reply the windows98 with, my other laptops are on mint linux now but not this one understandably.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: looking for another distro for 64ram

Post by Fred »

If you don't like DSL then some version of puppy would be the only other alternative I can think of.

There are several versions of Puppy. Or you could actually use one of the "bare bones" versions and add the programs to it that you want. Then re master it. Puppy makes re mastering easy. This is what I did to make a repair tool kit based on Puppy.

You could do a frugal install of your re mastered cd on your laptop. The only thing I don't like about that is the fact that Puppy runs in root. To me that is the bigest down side to using puppy as a day to day system.

Wish I had a better solution.

Fred
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I've heard good things about antiX (http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page); 64Mb could work.
Also, did you try the Mint Fluxbox beta?
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

You could try a minimal netinst CD of Debian Etch, after rebooting "apt-get install xserver-xorg" then apt-get xfce4 or fluxbox

Then add Etch multimedia repositories-had it working on a P1
with 64mB Ram

Thats how I install Etch KDE (apt-get kde) no Gnome no Mono

Nick
fleamailman

Post by fleamailman »

thanks for these replies, I guess I will go down the puppy route first because I have not got internet collection with this laptop, anyway the real fun is just trying thing out, and dsl is pretty good as a distro I just cannot get it to stay working once it checks the system, always from that point it is narked, but I will try also the dsl forum

Return to “Open Chat”