google and linux !!!!

Chat about just about anything else
virgilim
Level 1
Level 1

google and linux !!!!

Post by virgilim »

do you know what kind of linux use GOOGLE?

ubuntu server or what?
thanka

mauro

Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: google and linux !!!!

Post by Garvan »

From what I have read, they most likely have many different versions. A few years ago about half their staff were using a Ubuntu derivative called Goobuntu http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)

Jix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jix »

If Google were to create their own version of a Linux distro that would be the sweetest thing in the world. The OS would have a solid third spot on the market right off the bat.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

Jix wrote:If Google were to create their own version of a Linux distro that would be the sweetest thing in the world. The OS would have a solid third spot on the market right off the bat.
Heard of ChromeOS? :D ()http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_OS

TBH I think ChromeOS will die slowly at the expense of an Android (also Google) customized for desktop, doesn't seem prudent to have two completely different looking and functioning linux based Google OS'es when you can have one, but ChromeOS was planned and initially developed before Android took off.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

akavir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by akavir »

Why they thought they could release a cloud based OS that isn't any more than a web machine and charge a premium for it, is beyond me! I think the only way Google could seriously take the linux desktop market is to create a linux based system with some kind of source code autocomiler. I would only ditch Mint if there was finally a stadard for packages that wasn't RPM or DEB. I don't think it would be super hard either considering the resources Google has. If they released something easy enough to use, but highly customizable it could work. Then as developers release software they could include some sort of quick compile instructions in a command file for the compiler. For the old code out there that isn't maintained, I wouldn't think it would be to hard for Google with their resources to optimize major packages out of the box. This is just a dream of mine I don't think will ever be realized. I realize I've turned this more into something about package management. I have to say, with Wine 1.4 released today it's a whole new world for Windows converts to linux. I've been throwing many programs at 1.4 through the rc's and many programs that would never work before in Wine are running flawlessly. Some, I'd say, are running more stable than they ever did on Windows! Google is already using all the best bits of linux, and I'd like to see what else they could do in the future!

Return to “Open chat”