Linux Distro For My 5 Year Old

Chat about just about anything else
outfieldgrass
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Distro For My 5 Year Old

Post by outfieldgrass »

We bought our 5 year old one of those Toshiba kids laptops and it obviously runs Windows out of the box. I keep looking at that thing and wishing I could just install Linux and get him started in the Linux experience. Finally I talked the wife into it and the last 2 days I have been trying a few different setups. I've tried Xubuntu with the Edubuntu packages. WattOS. Bodhi Linux. I could install Linux Mint but I am trying to find something very minimal that works from the start and that I can put the program icons on the desktop. Nothing is quite what I want or runs as fast as I would like. I really like the programs that Ubuntu has put together for his age group so I want to stick with an Ubuntu based OS.

Right now I am downloading the full Edubuntu DVD to see what I can get out of that. I have a week to play around with it before he gets back from his 'dad's house (its tough being a step dad but worth it) and he wants his computer back.

So....suggestions?
''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''
~ Roberto Clemente

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Linux Distro For My 5 Year Old

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Check out DoudouLinux http://www.doudoulinux.org/web/english/index.html.

This is a distro specifically written for young children. I saw in Distrowatch that they have just released a new version. It could be something your stepson might like.
Registered Linux User 483387

outfieldgrass
Level 2
Level 2

Post by outfieldgrass »

That was the first one that I tried and while I liked that it was geared for kids I just didn't like the feel I got from it. Not all that polished. I might try it out again though.
''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''
~ Roberto Clemente

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

our Granddaughter [also 5] uses my old laptop whenever she visits [its now hers] she has no problems with Mint LXDE 10 which is on it at present and she loves the Tux educational games for Kids [all part of the educational package] if you want something a bit more colourful you could try, penguin Linux , puppy Linux or several other light weight systems

so she has mint here, windows on mums computer at home, unix on the I-pad and unix& Linux at school she has no problems chopping and changing [she even found out what i was doing wrong on my new android smart phone]

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

akavir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by akavir »

I refurbed a 9 year old laptop for my 2 year old. Tried many of the same OS's(Watt, Xubuntu) and couldn't get the performance or ease of use out of them, nor could I get any of the kid friends distros to work well on the hardware. I ended up with Peppermint OS Two. To me it's the lightestweight, yet full featured distro. LXDE and the Ubuntu software center, how much more could u ask for. Then I just installed Gcompris, childsplay, and supertux.

Return to “Open chat”