- The first constantly repeated issue is for mobile GPUs as well as APUs (AMD processor with builtin graphics chip). If you have these video devices on Mint 18.x, You will only have the option of the open source driver in the driver manager. Do not try any other driver, they will not work.
- For Mint 17.3, we have a different story. These devices have a second option of the FGLRX drivers in the driver manager. Do not try any other driver other than these 2, it will not work. As well as only recommended until 17.3 EOL.
- For desktops we get better options, but AMD made great confusion as there is only a select numbers of cards supported by their new drivers.
- The list of cards for the new drivers:
Code: Select all
Radeon RX 5xx graphics
Radeon™ RX 480 Graphics
Radeon™ RX 470 Graphics
Radeon™ RX 460 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 Nano Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 390X Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 390 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 380X Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 380 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 M395X Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 M385 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 M380 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 M270X Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 360 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 290X Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 290 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 285 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R7 260X Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R7 260 Graphics
For those whose card IS on the list :
- For Mint 17, you can use open source or FGLRX from the driver manager.
- For Mint 18 you can use open source by default. For the AMDGPU-PRO driver you MUST upgrade to kernel 4.8 FIRST (and REBOOT), before you install the driver (and REBOOT).
- The kernel requirements are that of the driver. When using AMD supplied drivers you may/will be required to update the kernel in the future. AMD actually puts this on their website, and folks still miss it for some reason.
- In the future the list may become inaccurate. AMD may chose to drop older cards in the future. And obvious they will add newer cards as they come out with them.
BONUS: For those who need OPEN CL 2 instructions (example: folding@home). As of this post, the Open Source as well as FGLRX drivers do not have it. The AMDGPU-PRO driver do.
Tutorial for AMDGPU-PRO driver issues: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=242474 No clue how many more months this will be valid.