ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 broken CRT effect in 18.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
consultingwolf

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 broken CRT effect in 18.3

Post by consultingwolf »

So I've got 18.3 Cinnamon 32bit (intel centrino duo 15250) running on an old fujitsu lifebook n series with an ATI mobility Radeon HD 2600. Unfortunately I am getting a 'broken crt' screen scrolling graphical error. As soon as it boots past grub the screen flickers up and down showing multiple ghost images and tearing if I am not in compatibility (live USB and installation) or recovery (post install). Can't seem to find anyone else with the same problem.

So far I have upgraded all the packages I can without adding PPAs, installed the HWE stack from ubuntu as suggested in another thread, and upgraded my kernel to 4.10.0-42-generic all with no discernible changes.

My inxi -Gx

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV630/M76 [Mobility Radeon HD 2600]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1440x900@59.93hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV630 (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.10.0-42-generic, LLVM 4.0.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
and glxinfo -b returns 33 while booted normally (i managed to copy and save it to tom notes so I could actually read what was on screen).

Not sure what to do next, since it was an older card I was considering removing one or the other of the ati/radeon driver or the amdgpu driver but that would seem to remove some other packages I don't want removed at the same time.

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated, also let me know if I can provide more useful debugging info.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”