Question with VGA to HDMI output to a TV monitor.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bob_gaye
Level 1
Level 1

Question with VGA to HDMI output to a TV monitor.

Post by bob_gaye »

Hi,

I'm new here, and basically don't know where to go.

I am using a TV monitor as the main display with a VGA to HDMI connection. Basically from the VGA port of the computer going through a VGA to HDMI adapter going to the TV monitor.

It is working, however the display of the monitor is only limited to 1024x728. The monitor is also labeled "Unknown VGA-1" in the display settings. I believe that the monitor is capable of having a 1366x768 resolution.

Is there a way I could achieve the 1366x768 resolution considering the use of VGA to HDMI adapter?
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ringshellfish
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Question with VGA to HDMI output to a TV monitor.

Post by ringshellfish »

VGA is an analog signal that gets converted to a digital signal in the adapter. If you have problems with your resolution and/or refresh rate, it could be the cable, the adapter or both. If your graphic card has DVI, I would recommend to use an DVI to HDMI adapter since the signal doesn't have to be actively converted.
bob_gaye
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob_gaye »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The computer is an old one and does not have a graphics card. I am planning to use it for experimental purposes.
ringshellfish
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ringshellfish »

Now I'm curious, where do you plug in the VGA cable on the PC? :lol:
bob_gaye
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob_gaye »

It does have a vga port from the mobo.
ringshellfish
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ringshellfish »

When I imagine an old computer with VGA, it's a huge beige box with a, from today's perspective, tiny graphic card. Other people might have different views on how an old computer is built. And that's the problem, if you don't give any information about your system people have to make assumptions. So please for the next time or if the problem persists follow this guidline.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”