Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
trsnrtr
Level 1
Level 1

Re-compiling Nvidia kernel

Post by trsnrtr » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:05 pm

I'm going to start scouring the net, but I thought I'd see if some nice person could help me first.

Evidently, in the last day or so, my kernel got updated and now my xserver won't start. It appears to be my Nvidia driver and I assume I need to re-compile or update or re-install. I used to go through this with Suse every time the kernel got updated and I would just use the command line to fix it. However, I seem to be at a loss with Mint/Ubunto.

I tried running sudo envy at the command line, but it gives a couple errors, including a checksum error. Should I be running a different command?

In the meantime, I'm going to head over to the Ubunto forum and run a search.

Dennis

trsnrtr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trsnrtr » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:46 pm

OK, every thing is fine. I just went to Nvidia and downloaded the latest driver and reinstalled.

Carry on, nothing more here to see. :)

frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 am

Hi trsnrtr,
Ok How you did it, please I have the same problem, Envy failed so i try to install it manually, with out any luck, I have download the new drivers, but no Luck, I must be doing something wrong, Please could you describe the steps that you have follow to make it work.
Thank you very much

trsnrtr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trsnrtr » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:51 am

frank392 wrote:Hi trsnrtr,
Ok How you did it, please I have the same problem, Envy failed so i try to install it manually, with out any luck, I have download the new drivers, but no Luck, I must be doing something wrong, Please could you describe the steps that you have follow to make it work.
Thank you very much
In my case, I just chose startup using the new kernel from grub and the xserver failed to load. After failure and hitting the enter key a time or two, I got a prompt and logged in. Then I changed to the directory with my new driver and typed sudo sh <driver name> and accepted all of the default options. I may not have used sudo or su on one of my machines because I was logged in as root, but the basic command is just sh <driver name>. You don't need the ./ or anything.

Dennis

frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:04 pm

Thank you
I have already figured out, but thank you anyway for your time
and as you said

"Carry on, nothing more here to see". :D

have a great Day!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”