Wierd panels (everyting x5) after enabling dual monitoring

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
salo

Wierd panels (everyting x5) after enabling dual monitoring

Post by salo »

Hey guy,
I ran into this wierd behaviour after enabling dual monitoring with an nvidia GT 520. It occurs for both the proprietary and the OS driver.
IMG_20120630_162240.jpg
Anybody seen this before? Do you need more info? I'm used to fiddling with xorg.conf, but that seems to be deprecated nowadays..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Matrix

Re: Wierd panels (everyting x5) after enabling dual monitori

Post by Matrix »

Hi there :)

I have been searching about (for) this for a couple of weeks :/ (I am a major n00b here, I tried Linux out about 10-12 years ago(RedHat when it was still free).. didn't like it, so went back to Windows... but tried Mint out starting about a month ago and like it much better now)..

This is only the second post I have seen about it though.. (I've noticed that anything similar hardly ever gets replies, but since you posted exactly the problem I have, I decided to get off my n00b butt and reply)..

Here is my screencap (ironically, I took the screencap from a Samsung too ;)):

I DO know part of the cause.. (Something about 3D acceIeration) am running nVidia GTX470 with 2 monitors.. as LONG as I don't activate my second monitor, I get a clean/smooth Cinnamon desktop. As SOON as I activate my 2nd monitor, it kills Cinnamon and goes to 'fallback'... and everytime I go back to 1 monitor and then try dual monitors again, it adds another taskbar :/

I am trying to find HOW to get rid of the extras now (ran across your post and wanted to jump in, not that I can help though)..

HOPEFULLY, since they can see it is not an isolated incident, someone will speak up and let us know how to get rid of the extra 'trash'.. :p

I really like Cinnamon a lot, but will give it up until they 'fix' it just so I can still keep both of my monitors running on Linux.

Anyway, let's keep our finger crossed that someone will assist ;)

<edit>: lol.. I had to go back and edit.. obviously, this site doesn't take HTML Code ;)
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Looks way cool! :D
salo wrote:Anybody seen this before? Do you need more info?
Which desktop do you use?

There's another thread on the issue:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... =0#p600269
salo

Post by salo »

Hi,
I am using the Cinnamon Desktop and as Matrix said, it falls seems to fallback to a way uglier Desktop (I guess it is MATE).
Tried the same x.org with Ubuntu 12.07 (which I do not want to use in production because of Unity) and it worked fine.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Ok, it appears that the 'fallback' was gnome..

I reinstalled with MATE instead of Cinnamon and it immediately recognized the dual monitors.. all I had to do was UNCHECK mirror :)

Mate isn't as near as pretty as Cinnamon, but it is much better than the 'fallback' and is as useful as Cinnamon ;)
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Yes. The fallback mode is a Gnome 3 thing so systems that don't have 3d acceleration will have a desktop too.
Talence

Post by Talence »

Hi there,

I had exactly the same problem. I've managed to solve it by editing xorg.conf to enable compositing. Then Cinnamon will run and the strange panel issue will be gone!

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p603970

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”