Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
kassbohm
Level 1
Level 1

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Drivers

Post by kassbohm »

I am running a NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (with Optimus) on a Samsung Notebook under Mint 13.

The card is detected - but the graphics acceleration is not working. When I go to HARDWARE - ADDITIONAL DRIVERS, it says, that there is not proprietary drivers running.

Now I would like to make them be running. Therefore I can download such a "run"-file from the NVIDIA-website. But I would prefer to do this with built-in Mint tools. However, I don't see any drivers I could activate. What can I do?

Currently I use:
glxinfo | grep renderer
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Drivers

Post by AlbertP »

This is Optimus. Just installing a driver will make it work badly as nvidia's drivers do not support that.
Please install Bumblebee: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
I think that will already install the nvidia driver, if not you can get the nvidia-current package from Software Manager.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

kassbohm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kassbohm »

Thanks. In fact, I read about Bumblebee before, but I was not sure, if it's a good idea to (try to) install it.

I did try to install it now, because I saw, that you are an experienced user.

And guess what... It works perfectly fine. Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated.

jwaffe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jwaffe »

I apologize if this topic is too old to reply to, but I have the exact same video card and the suggested solution not working for me.

The hardware seems to be recognized in the system information's PCI Devices tab, but a game I run works fine in software, and moves at ~2 FPS while messing up graphics in other programs in OpenGL mode; I know this card is supported because the game works well in windows, which is dual booted on the same computer.

The additional drivers window says "No proprietary drivers are in use for this system" even though I installed bumblebee.

glxinfo | grep renderer returns
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)

I tried downloading using the nvidia-current drivers but they seemed to have no effect, when I did the commands regarding creating a new configuration file, the resoultion was changed to 640x480 on logout.

Any help would be greatly appreciated; I'm new to Linux Mint, coming from a few years with Ubuntu.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ jwaffe: Please install Bumblebee: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

jwaffe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jwaffe »

AlbertP wrote:@ jwaffe: Please install Bumblebee: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
It's installed.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
bumblebee is already the newest version.
bumblebee-nvidia is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 388 not upgraded.
EDIT - perhaps I'm not using it right... I'll take a look at these commands.

I wasn't using it correctly, I thought Bumblebee started automatically or was always running, but to run a opengl program with it you need to use "optirun <program>" to run it, or if the program is not added to path, optirun <path to program>/<program>.

It works great now, thanks for suggesting it earlier in this topic.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You should be able to use your Intel graphics without optirun. This is not working at the moment since you got llvmpipe in your inxi -Gx output. Probably it was messed up because you installed the nvidia driver before installing bumblebee.

jwaffe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jwaffe »

AlbertP wrote:You should be able to use your Intel graphics without optirun. This is not working at the moment since you got llvmpipe in your inxi -Gx output. Probably it was messed up because you installed the nvidia driver before installing bumblebee.
Hmm... I'll try installing the nVidia graphics again then. Also this isn't Intel graphics, this is an NVidia card

EDIT - after re-installing bumblebee/bumblebee-nvidia

glxinfo | grep renderer
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile

Better but I'm guessing this means that I'm still not using my nVidia card

My openGL games still don't run without running it through optirun.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Right, you're now using the Intel one without optirun. With optirun, you'll be able to use your NVidia card. Maybe you can use 'optirun inxi -Gx' to check if that indeed returns nvidia.

Optimus, that is: a power-efficient Intel card for normal use and an NVidia one for gaming.

jwaffe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jwaffe »

Hmm... not a bad idea to run the two cards at different times but I'd rather just use the nVidia card by default, if that's possible.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You'll have to use optirun for your OpenGL programs. The nvidia card is not wired to the laptop screen, it only serves as 3D accelerator.

jwaffe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jwaffe »

AlbertP wrote:You'll have to use optirun for your OpenGL programs. The nvidia card is not wired to the laptop screen, it only serves as 3D accelerator.
hmm... I see. I wasn't aware of that, but it seems very reasonable considering how the card behaves.

Even in Windows I had to select what programs I wanted to run using the nVidia card, which I found quite confusing (until now) since I've only ever used custom built desktops or AMD laptops with a radeon graphics chip which seemed to be the only way to the monitor. (I assume so since optirun wasn't necessary on my old AMD HP). I could be wrong on that, too, though.

Thanks again for your help.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Right, since Windows Vista and before didn't yet support this "Optimus" technology, any laptop made before 7 was introduced will simply have all outputs wired to one GPU with no switching possible: in gaming laptops, this means you have lower battery life since you can't switch off your power-hungry card. There are also laptops (mainly the cheaper models) that only have a power-efficient integrated GPU from Intel or AMD, and no "dedicated" card for gaming.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”