Trying to install Geforce GT 425M Drivers??

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
ecsnead69
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to install Geforce GT 425M Drivers??

Post by ecsnead69 »

I am running a MSI laptop with a NVIDIA Geforce GT 425M discrete GPU and installing Linux Mint for the first time. I am also performing a dual boot with Windows 7. On a clean install of Mint, there are no drivers listed in "Additional Drivers" and on the System Details screen it shows my intergrated graphics, Intel IronLake Mobile as my current graphic. I have tried several different methods of installing the proper driver to recognize/use my card all with the same results. I perform the processes exactly as detailed and on a reboot I am always left with a 4:3 screen ratio with no other resolution options listed in the Display Settings drop down menu. I also never have the driver listed in the "Additional Drivers" once the installs are supposedly complete. Each method I have tried from a clean install. I have read that NVIDIA and Linux are not the best of partners, but there must be a way to get this done. I will try any methods that have worked for others here. Thanks
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Trying to install Geforce GT 425M Drivers??

Post by remoulder »

It sounds as if your laptop has hybrid graphics, in which case you can't install the nvidia drivers. You need to look at bumblebee. Also see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HybridGraphics
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
ecsnead69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ecsnead69 »

Thanks for the info. Since Mint is based off of Ubuntu, bumblebee should work on it? Also, since I can't install the drivers, I take it that I should do the bumblebee install that does not include the proprietary drivers or the 32 bit binaries?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

I am interested to hear if this worked out. My notebook also has this same video card, MSI FX603-064US. Intel i5 480M CPU @2.66 GHz (dual core), Intel built in graphics as well as the GeForce GT425M. 8GB DDR3 (4GB x 2) 10700 GSkill RAM.

Tried about 3 or 4 months ago to install first Mint 12 (13 wasn't available yet) & Ubuntu 12.04LTS, both 64 bit OS's. I need the 64 bit version to work, as I run other OS's via VirtualBox, PAE doesn't seem to work as well as a 64 bit install does on this computer.

I also realize that Linus has been trying (with frustration) to get NVIDIA to work with him on this, hopefully some headway has been made. Any responses on this would be greatly appreciated, as I would love to be able to run Mint 13 on my notebook w/proper driver support. Currently, I'm stuck with running Mint on my much lower powered desktop, would like to get it on a more powerful computer to take advantage of all that Mint offers.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Here's an easier how-to for Bumblebee: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
Probably you'll be able to get your GT 425M's working with that.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”