Graphics are better in Mint 10 than they are in Mint 13

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
/Zoran\

Graphics are better in Mint 10 than they are in Mint 13

Post by /Zoran\ »

Hello, I have an older PC with ATI Radeon X1650, and in Mint 13 graphics are awful. I run a game and the screen flickers, others are very slow, I'm talking about the ones from the Software Center. On Mint 10 everything works flawlessly, I can even boot into the LiveCD and the system without the nomodeset trick. What changed between the two versions, was there an upgrade to the driver? Can I somehow downgrade something to get better performance in Mint 13?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Graphics are better in Mint 10 than they are in Mint 13

Post by cwsnyder »

Are you using the ATI proprietary drivers or the radeon open source driver?

Do a lspci -k and look for the line after the VGA to see what kernel module driver is being used or possibly aticonfig for the actual driver listing.

You may want to update to the proprietary ATI drivers on LM 13, as the open source driver has some known problems.
/Zoran\

Post by /Zoran\ »

I'm using the open source drivers, ATI dropped support for this card a few years back and I can't use proprietary drivers with newer versions of kernel.
Here's the output of lspci -k for VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series] (rev 9e)
Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device 2160
Kernel modules: radeon
01:00.1 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series] (rev 9e)
Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device 2161
I used older versions of Mint on this setup and everything worked fine, Now i thought I might use this box again on my TV, only I have this to find, heh. I've installed Fedora 17, don't worry, it's XFCE;), and everything works fine. I'll just stick to it, unless someone has a suggestion on how to easily downgrade Mint for it to work properly, I'm using Mint 13 XFCE....
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Video driver support is the reason why I have remained with the Debian based distributions since December 2007. Only Knoppix, Debian, Ubuntu, Mandriva and derivatives were able to support the nVidia GeForce 6200 in my eMachines machine besides Windows. Good luck in Fedora with the RPM packages.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”