How to install the Nvidia proprietary drivers in LinuxMint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fastaslightning

Re: How to install the Nvidia proprietary drivers in LinuxMi

Post by Fastaslightning »

Okay, seems that I failed my way forward from my last position. I tried to install the 173.1437 drivers that Mint 16 said were "recommended" Then I tried to use the computer, but it was lagging crazy bad. I would click on something, walk away and come back to the computer 2 minutes later, and finally the action would be done. I am not kidding to say that I literally took 20 minutes to reopen the drivers window.

I am guessing that the latest Mint doesn't support the kernels or something of that sort. I then followed the instructions on page one to install the newest drivers for my card which is a nVidia Quadro FX 3000. The nVidia site said that the newest driver for that was the 173.1439. I downloaded, and did exactly what the instructions say, and it loaded them up. The only difference is that it never stopped the install and then blacklisted the noveau driver, it just installed it the first time. I finished the install, restarted the MDM, and again, only one screen is recognized.

On top of that, it is crazy laggy as well. I mean CRAZY LAGGY, like the cpu and gpu are actually fighting each other at times. It has these screen "mishaps" as well where there are these small icons that appear on the left and top of the screen and the menu is almost not tinted at all, where you cannot really read the names of the applications.

Any ideas on what could be the problem would be appreciated.
rbenic

Post by rbenic »

Is there any way to use the drivers with Optimus graphics?
jms250

Post by jms250 »

Thanks for the info, helped to understand what was required. Installed Mint14.
Since I have a Nvidia GeFx5200 card (Dell 4600i) I needed to install NVIDIA 173.14.xx driver.
I was able to load nvidia 173.14.36 but still had nvidia-settings " unable to load X server display configuration page:"
and was unable to detect 2nd monitor.
Supposedly a known bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/539196
lots more forum reading ... gave suggestions on possible fixes.
But I tried and was succesful using smxi / sfgxi (simple graphics installer) that had an option in loading nvidia non-free driver.
http://smxi.org/site/about.htm
Perhaps others w/ legacy cards will need to do the same.
carsten888

Post by carsten888 »

got stuck at step 1. download the driver.
http://www.geforce.com/drivers
gives no search results, but their French site still works :)
http://www.nvidia.fr/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-en
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

rbenic wrote:Is there any way to use the drivers with Optimus graphics?
bump!!!!
qusqui21

Post by qusqui21 »

Hello. I have a big problem on low level. I cant stop mdm, so i cant install old drivers for my Nvidia 420mx (96.x.x.x). I get that message and i dont know next what to do :( Image
#edit1 i solved it by login in to recovery mod but now when i do it i get information that i dont have libc header files installed on my system :/
#edit install build-essential was a solution but now i get information that kernel header file '.../version.h' does not exist. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source files in '.../build' have not been configued.
primski

Post by primski »

nvidia proprietary driver doesn't work with my NVIDIA Corporation GK208M [GeForce GT 740M] (rev a1)
Megazell

Post by Megazell »

Do I uninstalled the 319 recommended driver first before installing the one from the Nvidia site?

If so - How?
euan
Level 1
Level 1

I cannot change directory.

Post by euan »

I am new to Linux and am trying this and cannot get to my directory, This also happens in the normal terminal.
I can do go to home ie cd /home/ and it does it.
If I then put in dir I get my a list of directories but cannot get there either 1 step at a time or all together.

any ideas?
ChristerC

Post by ChristerC »

Hi there.
Little rusty in Linux and since yesterday new to Mint.
Have tried to installed both Cinnamon and MATE with same result and followed all procedures I've found with same result, Nvidia drivers can not be installed. (spent so far over 8h with this one problem, not counting the reinstall of Mint). Some background.

Mint Qiana 17 Cinnamon / MATE 32-bit.
Nvidia drivers 173.14.39

inxi -Fxz
System: Host: jessica-desktop Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: Mobo: Abit model: IC7/IC7-G(Intel i875P-ICH5) version: 1.0 Bios: Phoenix version: 6.00 PG date: 11/18/2003
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (sse sse2) bmips: 4810.85
Clock Speeds: 1: 2405.425 MHz 2: 2405.425 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA NV31 [GeForce FX 5600] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.org: 1.15.1 drivers: (unloaded: vesa) FAILED: fbdev,nouveau tty size: 112x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card: Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: d800 dc00 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card: Intel 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: e1000 ver: 7.3.21-k8-NAPI port: a000 bus-ID: 02:01.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 123.5GB (4.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: HDS722512VLAT20 size: 123.5GB
Partition: ID: / size: 113G used: 4.7G (5%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.07GB used: 0.02GB (2%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 151 Uptime: 30 min Memory: 411.0/1001.9MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

end of Log file:
[ 158.176191] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[ 158.176201] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
[ 158.201403] nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or
required key missing - tainting kernel
[ 158.202028] nvidia: Unknown symbol acpi_os_wait_events_complete (err 0)

Short desacription of last attempt:
Stop mdm
installed Nvidia drivers and hence created the blacklist file
rebooted
stop mdm
purge (not sure if it says nouveau1a or nouveaula so I've tried both)
update
reboot
stop mdm
run installer
FAILED...

The things I'm concerned about is that I do not seem to be able to shut down x even if it says so, most of the stuff I've seen concerns old Mint and/or old drivers and Ubuntu 14 does seem to have the same problem.

Ubuntu 12 and Putty Precise 5.7.1 does not.

And one more thing: MATE does work with X while Cinnamon and Ubuntu 14 does not (have to edit grub). I need the graphic driver though.

Hope this is not to much.. Haven't really worked with Linux/Unix since Solaris 8 :)
Hapi

Post by Hapi »

Hello Experts,

Trying also to install Nvidia proprietary driver to Linux Mint Cinnamon for kernel 3.13.0-24-generic (x86_64). I get below error when installing. Any ideas wha should I do? I checked this http://www.twodee.org/weblog/?p=1056 but could not get kernel-devel installed. Any hints very much appreciated.

INSTALLATION make.log:
DKMS make.log for nvidia-340.46 for kernel 3.13.0-24-generic (x86_64)
la 25.10.2014 23.59.15 +0300

gcc-version-check failed:

Could not compile 'gcc-version-check.c'. Please be
sure you have your Linux distribution's gcc and
libc development packages installed.

If you know what you are doing and want to override
the gcc version check, you can do so by setting the
IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH environment variable to "1".

In any other case, set the CC environment variable
to the name of the compiler that was used to compile
the kernel.

*** Failed CC version check. Bailing out! ***

make: *** [build-sanity-checks] Error 1
make: Entering directory `/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/340.46/build/uvm'
cd ./..; make module SYSSRC=/lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/build SYSOUT=/lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/build KBUILD_EXTMOD=./..
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/340.46/build'
NVIDIA: calling KBUILD...
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic'
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo >&2; \
echo >&2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo >&2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo >&2 ; \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p ./../.tmp_versions ; rm -f ./../.tmp_versions/*
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=./..
scripts/Makefile.build:44: /usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic/./../Makefile: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic/./../Makefile'. Stop.
make[2]: *** [_module_./..] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic'
NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
nvidia.ko failed to build!
make[1]: *** [nvidia.ko] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/340.46/build'
make: *** [../Module.symvers] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/340.46/build/uvm'
JonnyBB878

Post by JonnyBB878 »

Hapi wrote:Hello Experts,

Trying also to install Nvidia proprietary driver to Linux Mint Cinnamon for kernel 3.13.0-24-generic (x86_64). I get below error when installing. Any ideas wha should I do? I checked this http://www.twodee.org/weblog/?p=1056 but could not get kernel-devel installed. Any hints very much appreciated.

INSTALLATION make.log:
DKMS make.log for nvidia-340.46 for kernel 3.13.0-24-generic (x86_64)
la 25.10.2014 23.59.15 +0300

gcc-version-check failed:

Could not compile 'gcc-version-check.c'. Please be
sure you have your Linux distribution's gcc and
libc development packages installed.

If you know what you are doing and want to override
the gcc version check, you can do so by setting the
IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH environment variable to "1".

In any other case, set the CC environment variable
to the name of the compiler that was used to compile
the kernel.

*** Failed CC version check. Bailing out! ***

make: *** [build-sanity-checks] Error 1
make: Entering directory `/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/340.46/build/uvm'
cd ./..; make module SYSSRC=/lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/build SYSOUT=/lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/build KBUILD_EXTMOD=./..
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/340.46/build'
NVIDIA: calling KBUILD...
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic'
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo >&2; \
echo >&2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo >&2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo >&2 ; \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p ./../.tmp_versions ; rm -f ./../.tmp_versions/*
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=./..
scripts/Makefile.build:44: /usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic/./../Makefile: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic/./../Makefile'. Stop.
make[2]: *** [_module_./..] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic'
NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
nvidia.ko failed to build!
make[1]: *** [nvidia.ko] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/340.46/build'
make: *** [../Module.symvers] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/340.46/build/uvm'
Following the links in the brackets will download the 2 necessary packages to install the drivers without any errors. Install them before attempting any driver installation.

*This has been tested on Linux Mint 17

For 32bit Mint:

libc-dev-bin_2.19-0ubuntu6_i386.deb (Direct Link: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... 6_i386.deb)
libc6-dev_2.19-0ubuntu6_i386.deb (Direct Link: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... 6_i386.deb)

For 64bit Mint:

libc-dev-bin_2.19-0ubuntu6_amd64.deb (Direct Link: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... _amd64.deb)
libc6-dev_2.19-0ubuntu6_amd64.deb (Direct Link: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... _amd64.deb)
veggienuts

Post by veggienuts »

Has anyone figured out a sure fire way to get these drivers working in linux mint 17.1? I have been I have been really struggling for the past 5 days to get mine to work I have tried about every tut out there and have 5 re-installs with zero luck. Would really like some help on this.

I have a nvidia GTX750ti and so far nothing has worked.
DF Hammack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DF Hammack »

Thank you SOOOOOO much. I have been using Linux for about 12 years, Mint for 7, and have installed nVidia drivers numerous times, but this time it was driving me NUTZ! It kept telling me I didn't have "Permission". You got me straight. Thanks, friend!
Dave

EDIT: It turns out a major part of my problem was that I had allowed nVidia to auto-detect my card and it gave me the wrong package. You MUST manually select your card to get the right package.
RichmonS

Post by RichmonS »

I just wanted to thank you for the sticky. This fixed my issue.

I found that having one monitor connected to the NVidia card and the other connected to the on board video out helped. Even though Cinnamon would crash and I would be in fallback-mode I was able to follow the instructions and get the updated driver installed.
mildchild

Post by mildchild »

After following these instructions I'm getting failed to start x server error. I'm trying to get a gt 730 running on this thing and no matter what driver I use or what method I use I get the failed to start x server error when I reboot. This is beyond frustrating. I'll try anything at this point. Are AMD cards easier to deal with? This is absolutely absurd.

**update**
the error I'm getting is no screens found. When I try rm ~/.config/monitors.xml it says the file doesn't exist.
nedim.hx

Post by nedim.hx »

Can anyone help me to solve this issue ?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=214636

Regards
k+boorer

Re: How to install the Nvidia proprietary drivers in LinuxMint

Post by k+boorer »

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but here I go.

I'm a new Linux user and have been setting up a desktop running Cinnamon 18 64-Bit and just seem to have the wrong or too old driver for my Nvidia GeForce 1060, started following the instructions way back at the beginning of this post without any problems. Use the command [sudo /etc/init.d/mdm stop] which blank screens me and restarts the system, which I assume is it disabling the driver (right?). Open up the terminal again to continue on the process and run the nvidia run file. It runs and tries to install then gives me this

Error: You appear to be running an x server; please exit x before installing. For further details, please see the section INSTALLING THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver download page.

And when I bring up my system information in the terminal i find this in the graphics area

Graphics: Card: NVIDIA Device 1c03 bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: vesa (unloaded: fbdev) FAILED: nouveau
Resolution: 1024x768@61.00hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8, 256 bits)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

All this makes me think that I need to remove the failed nouveau driver before being able to install the new Nvidia one, but I don't know and my searches haven't been able to narrow this down far enough as of yet
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

k+boorer wrote:Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but here I go.

I'm a new Linux user and have been setting up a desktop running Cinnamon 18 64-Bit and just seem to have the wrong or too old driver for my Nvidia GeForce 1060, started following the instructions way back at the beginning of this post without any problems. Use the command [sudo /etc/init.d/mdm stop] which blank screens me and restarts the system, which I assume is it disabling the driver (right?). Open up the terminal again to continue on the process and run the nvidia run file. It runs and tries to install then gives me this

Error: You appear to be running an x server; please exit x before installing. For further details, please see the section INSTALLING THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver download page.

And when I bring up my system information in the terminal i find this in the graphics area

Graphics: Card: NVIDIA Device 1c03 bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: vesa (unloaded: fbdev) FAILED: nouveau
Resolution: 1024x768@61.00hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8, 256 bits)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

All this makes me think that I need to remove the failed nouveau driver before being able to install the new Nvidia one, but I don't know and my searches haven't been able to narrow this down far enough as of yet
"older", so what? Newer != "better"

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK106 [GeForce GTX 660] 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
dubbcd

Post by dubbcd »

Works for me. 1070

Download NV driver 367.57
CTRL ALT F1 , Go to console
/etc/init.d/mdm , Stop
sudo chmod +x {NV Driver}
./NV..........run

Just answer continue and yes
It auto run NV xConfig.

Reboot. I got sound and driver running.

except my crypted boot up need to press SHIFT to get into manual select regular boot. then I will be able to type in the passcode decryption key.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”