Forum rules
Before you post please read this
psed
Level 1
Level 1

Low performance of Cinnamon with AMD RV630 / Radeon HD 2600

Post by psed » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi.
I uses Mate desktop and it shows really good performance. After installing Cinnamon i have found an low performance: even window moving is not even close to smooth, scrolling web page is also extremely low. What do you can suggest? Maybe, a graphics driver was installed incorrectly? (I have 3.2. GHz P4 processor, 256MB video and 3GB RAM). Can ypu suggest me something to check? Thanks.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Extremely low performance of Cinnamon desktop.

Post by xenopeek » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Please provide some more specs, specifically about your graphics card driver also. While using Cinnamon, open a terminal and run the following command. Post the output here. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

psed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by psed » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:Please provide some more specs, specifically about your graphics card driver also. While using Cinnamon, open a terminal and run the following command. Post the output here. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.

inxi -Fxz
Thank you for reply. Here's the output:

System:    Host: home Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Machine:   System: stem manufacturer product: N/A
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5LD2 version: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends version: 1903 date: 07/20/2007
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-HT-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 6422.57 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2800.00 MHz 2: 2800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV630 [Radeon HD 2600 Series] bus-ID: 04:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 2048x1152@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV630 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV630 audio device [Radeon HD 2600 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 04:00.1
           Card-2: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-3: Philips (or NXP) driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 0471:20bb
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25
Network:   Card: Marvell 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 ver: 1.30 port: c800 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (0.5% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10EARS size: 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 29G used: 4.8G (18%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 3.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.5C mobo: 47.0C gpu: 70.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3341 psu: 0 sys-1: 0 sys-2: 0 
Info:      Processes: 138 Uptime: 1:29 Memory: 464.8/3030.4MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Put terminal output in code tags.

richardsdma
Level 2
Level 2

Post by richardsdma » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:08 pm

your video card is not supported anymore by linux. you better go for W7 and install proprietari driver to get maximun performance for your machine.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Hardware take a look!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:30 pm

If I'm reading the inxi output correctly you are using the open source driver for your AMD graphics card (given you are using Gallium). The open source driver probably isn't as good with the 3D hardware accelerated graphics that Cinnamon needs (in contrast, MATE doesn't do anything fancy like Cinnamon does graphics wise, so you don't need 3D hardware accelerated graphics to function for MATE to work fine). What richardsdma is referring to is that AMD also has a closed source, aka proprietary, driver for your graphics card but according to the link from richardsdma, AMD is no longer providing this driver on Linux for your graphics card. The closed source driver may have given you a better performance in Cinnamon.

Edit: moved here for perhaps getting more input specifically to your graphics card. I've also updated your topic subject.

ashbaby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ashbaby » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:38 pm

I agree, try using the catalyst driver (AMD proprietory) driver. also, decrease the swappiness for you desktop.. http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/328
Rookie, Linux Mint 12 ME
First Time Linux User
Toshiba NB505 netbook

Orbmiser
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Orbmiser » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:43 pm

xenopeek wrote:
The open source driver probably isn't as good with the 3D hardware accelerated graphics that Cinnamon needs (in contrast, MATE doesn't do anything fancy like Cinnamon does graphics wise, so you don't need 3D hardware accelerated graphics to function for MATE to work fine).

What richardsdma is referring to is that AMD also has a closed source, aka proprietary, driver for your graphics card but according to the link from richardsdma, AMD is no longer providing this driver on Linux for your graphics card. The closed source driver may have given you a better performance in Cinnamon.
Hmmm Using it on an older Ati 4350 and works great. Even tested Cube 2: Sauerbraten game and ran great. Was on a Amd dual core and 4gb ram. But don't know enough the specifics of ATI RV630 [Radeon HD 2600 Series] not supported as well as my card.

Just pointing out that open drivers do work well on some? of the Ati cards. And Cinnamon running great on my setup.

And from another thread sums up the why's when dealing with older video cards. And as usual xenopeek intimate knowledge and information given is very helpful in dealing with these issues. Thanks xenopeek!
xenopeek wrote:Then you are probably in the Cinnamon fallback mode. If your graphics card isn't good enough (it needs to do 3D hardware accelerated graphics), or your graphics card driver isn't, then you go to Cinnamon fallback mode which indeed doesn't look like Cinnamon (it has a light gray panel and the menu button doesn't have the word "Menu" on it but is just an icon).

As I already wrote, I wasn't sure if it would run perfectly on your hardware. Sorry :( To run Cinnamon you will need a more powerful graphics card. For now I think you should then stick to MATE.
Last edited by Orbmiser on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:55 pm

ashbaby wrote:I agree, try using the catalyst driver (AMD proprietory) driver. also, decrease the swappiness for you desktop.. http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/328
no, please don't! don't install any kind of proprietary drivers for that card (or any 2xxx/4xxx amd/ati series in linux mint 14 nadia)
1- amd/ati dropped support for those cards
2- there's a legacy proprietary driver but it's dependent on an earlier version of xorg (<1.11, nadia uses 1.13) and kernel (<3.2, nadia uses 3.5)
3- the open-source driver **should** be more than enough to run cinnamon tho this is really an aging card (when was it released?)
4- are you absolutely sure that in the login screen you are picking cinnamon and not cinnamon2D? the latter will render everything with the cpu making the desktop experience really slow (specially if you don't have a very powerful cpu)

[ bliss of ignorance ]

richardsdma
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Low performance of Cinnamon with AMD RV630 / Radeon HD 2

Post by richardsdma » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:29 am

i am telling you to install mint 13 maya cinnamon and and if you can, you can install gnome shell. give gnome-shell a chance for at least one week and i tell you that you will fall in love with it.
but the main advantage in mint 13 LTS is that you can install proprietary driver for your card. NOTHING compares with proprietary drivers.

and now, about the open source drivers: i have a RS690 video card, much older than RV630 and cinnamon works fine. it seems that a lot of work has been done for that series of cards. but i think that for RV card series, the open source drivers are still in their infancy. that is way i say to you to install a distribution witch still supports proprietary drivers (mint 13, ubuntu 12.04, cent OS 6).

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”