xrandr in .Xsession makes kdm look funny

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
littlenoodles

xrandr in .Xsession makes kdm look funny

Post by littlenoodles »

I have a 1920x1080 flat panel plugged into a DVI port (with a DVI-to-VGA adapter that came with the computer). I assume that this cabling kludge is what's preventing Mint from correctly identifying my monitor and offering to set the correct resolution. In any case, I'm able to use xrandr to get the correct resolution, and I've added the commands to .Xsession to make them permanent (following instructions found elsewhere on this forum).

The problem is that, although kdm comes up in 1920x1080 mode, it doesn't seem to know it. The logon screen displays in 4 quadrants, with the input widgets and menu in the upper left quadrant, and the wallpaper tiled in the rest. Is there a better place to put the xrandr commands to prevent this? Or can I set some kdm configuration so that it 'knows' its in 1920x1080 mode and formats the screen correctly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
asobczak
Level 1
Level 1

Re: xrandr in .Xsession makes kdm look funny

Post by asobczak »

As I understand, this may be some tweek in xrandr config,
Read man Xsessions.
Look here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 33#p648282
It takes me a lot of try-fail-try rounds to figure out how to set up my monitor. But now its perfect :)
System: Host: Kernel: 5.4.0-66-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
littlenoodles

Re: xrandr in .Xsession makes kdm look funny

Post by littlenoodles »

For what it's worth, I switched from the DVI->VGA cable adapter to a straight DVI cable, and it works perfectly.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”