Nvidia & HD LCD.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arron

Nvidia & HD LCD.

Post by Arron »

I got Mint XFCE installed and running on a pc with a 256mb agp nvidia card hooked up to a 42" lcd screen. I got the special cable to go from the white plug on the vid card to hdmi, and got the screen on the tv. After some searching, i had to change the font to make it readable (the font was WAY to small to even see anything, any info on how this works and why would be greatly appreciated). Now the next step...

The most resolution i can get is 800x600. The tv supports 1330x768 ( this number is of the top of my head and the manual is elsewhere right now, but its 13** by 768). The Screen and graphics settings I can set higher but for some reason the screen goes blank, with invalid input. I have tried plug and play, as well generic lcd screen with higher resolution, and it always goes smaller.

As well the graphic login now goes blank, with invalid input.

When i get either of the black screens, i ctrl alt - to shrink the size and get a picture. How do i fix the login and how can i get a better resolution for the desktop? Is Mint Gnome better with this? Ideas, options?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Nvidia & HD LCD.

Post by Husse »

The problem is that you use a 42" screen - computers are not supposed to use that. The only use is to play DVD, because as you've noticed it's way too big for normal use
I've written a little bit about large screens in the wiki - but that's about the different resolutions that are used not how to tune your card to get it
You use the "old" X so you could try to use modelines in xorg.conf (google modelines for some how to - lots of them out there)

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”