Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
dward0487
Level 1
Level 1

New Graphics Card Installation

Post by dward0487 »

Hello everyone! This may have been asked in some form or fashion before, but I haven't been able to get a definitive answer, so here we go:

Will Linux Mint 15 (Cinnamon) automatically detect a new graphics card that I plug into the PCI-E slot in my computer AFTER the OS has been installed? I currently have Linux Mint 15 installed, and I'm running an nVidia GTX 650 Ti Boost, but in a few days, I will be plugging an nVidia GTX Titan into the slot instead. Can I simply boot into Linux Mint 15 with the new card in the slot and let it auto-detect the card and apply the driver on its own? Or is there something else I will have to do (set the driver in Recovery Mode, use the Live CD, etc.)?
Last edited by dward0487 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dward0487
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New Graphics Card Installation

Post by dward0487 »

This seems like a really simple question to me, but I have yet to find a post where this is specifically asked and answered...
dward0487
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dward0487 »

Really, guys? No one on the Linux Mint forums knows if Mint will auto-detect a new graphics card? Not a single Mint user on this forum has installed a new graphics card after getting their OS up and running and can tell me? That seems unlikely....
Protheus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Protheus »

The answer is also simple, just try it and be amazed ;-)
dward0487
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dward0487 »

I'm assuming that means that things will go smoothly? I don't care if it installs the nouveau driver, as I just use Linux for computational work. From what I've read, installing the proprietary nVidia drivers is a pain...
Protheus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Protheus »

Depends i've got GT620 and Nvidia driver is no problem, in fact the nouveau was a problem for me with LMDE, wit Olivia no problems at all.
dward0487
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dward0487 »

Alright, so I installed the card and booted back up, and it was running in Graphics Rendering mode. I simply went to the Driver Manager, and clicked on the nVidia driver, and it applied the changes. After a restart, everything looks good. I'm pleased! Thanks for the help!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”