Forum rules
Before you post please read this
dimbohall
Level 1
Level 1

Slow startup of MDM using Nvidia drivers

Post by dimbohall »

Hi,

I have spent an entire day installing and reinstalling my mint 16 computer. I have looked at all of the posts about nvidia drivers and have tried most of them.

The problem is this :

I have a HP Elitebook 8540w with a Nvidia Quadro FX 880M graphics card.

On a fresh install the xserver-org-video-nouveau driver is installed. version 1 1:1.0.9-2ubuntu1. The system takes about 25 secs from on button to mdm login screen.

If I change the drivers to any of the proprietary nvidia drivers (currently nvidia-391.32-0ubuntu7) The system will drop me into a terminal login prompt after about 20-25 secs. If I then leave it alone for about another 20-30 secs then it will start the mdm normally. If I just enter my login details and type startx then I get x immediately - but then after about 1 minute I will get an error message saying that the other process has just tried to start x and couldn't because I was already using it. No problem, I just close this window and carry on.

I don't want to return to the nouveau driver, but waiting double the time for boot up is annoying (plus I have invested an entire day in this including probably 8 reinstalls).

Anyone can shed any light on this?

Thanks,

Demian.
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Slow startup of MDM using Nvidia drivers

Post by unprinted »

Have you tried setting the login screen to the much simpler and faster GTK one?
Archdevil
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Archdevil »

Same problem here!

Looking at an oldfashioned text screen for what feels like half a minute is quite irritating. Never experienced this with other distros.
Why does it take Mint KDE 16 that long to initialize the proprietary driver?

Please help!
dimbohall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dimbohall »

I tried the GTK login, but the wait is the same.........
dimbohall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dimbohall »

here is a copy of my syslog and xorg log :

http://pastebin.com/JryySZ6p
erkswede
Level 1
Level 1

Post by erkswede »

did you install nvidia-drivers from xorg-edgers?
dimbohall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dimbohall »

I installed the recommended driver from the linux mint 16 driver manager, and it didn't work. It seems that the problem is with the process that starts mdm being delayed. I get a fully responsive terminal prompt immediately and can initiate x manually with no delay...whay could that be?
dimbohall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dimbohall »

OK. I finally got somewhere. It has something to do with the networkmanager and APv6. It seems that the network is trying to make a connection in the background whilst we are waiting. To resolve this situation you can either disable wifi all together or just the IPv6 setting for the connection it is trying to make.
dimbohall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dimbohall »

OR if you have a usb hub plugged in, try unplugging it.
Archdevil
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Archdevil »

To be honest I moved on to a different distro. The usability of Nouveau simply cannot be compared with the proprietary drivers.
Therefore I cannot understand why this issue exists in the first place. It should have been discovered during testing.
The distro I run now works like a charm with the proprietary drivers. Installation was not more than the selection of the packages. No editing of udev rules required.

Regards,

:twisted:
ControlsJedi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ControlsJedi »

The solution that cmartin001 gave worked for me as well. Thanks a lot! I've been trying to figure this out for weeks. The problem started when I switched from nouveau to nvidia v. 319.32. I would have never guessed it was a problem with the printer.

It's a shame Archdevil is no longer using this distro. He changed distros because he could not wait 25s? Everything works well after the wait. My wait was well over a 2 minutes. And after this fix my boot time from power on to desktop is 12.7 sec :D Very fast I'd say!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

This just started happening on my install of LM 16/Cinnamon yesterday (really, just yesterday). No reason for it except applying regular updates and I've had an HP 3050A all-in-one as my printer for a year now. This happened on LM 15/Cinnamon for many users for no reason as well and it was never really solved that I remember. Yesterday LM 16 began booting to (apparently) a command prompt and approx 25 to 30 secs later, MDM would appear. It literally happened from one reboot to another.

So I've also applied "cmartin001@gmail.com" fix and it worked like a charm in fact, it's never booted to MDM so quickly before. So grand work, "cmartin001"! It must have taken quite some time just to get the search query formatted correctly to even get you close to a solution. I'm a moderately advanced Linux user and Mint has been my main OS since early on but how the heck could any user be expected to find something like this? :shock: :mrgreen:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”