how can i install my intel and nvidia graphic cards?

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Post Reply
jiomanjy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:14 am

how can i install my intel and nvidia graphic cards?

Post by jiomanjy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:36 pm

i have three questions:
1-how can i find out if my graphic cards are installed correctly or not?
2-how can i install each one?
3-i hav not tried to install them and see no problem in linux, i want to know what happens if i dont install them? what problems will appear

User avatar
PatH57
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4576
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:11 pm
Location: here and there

Re: how can i install my intel and nvidia graphic cards?

Post by PatH57 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi,

1 try

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
2 if the above has no fail all drivers are ok
3 it depends on what software you will try to run, typically the "default" drivers cover 90% of needs (games and multi-monitor may need "native drivers"
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

User avatar
invader_tak
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:48 am
Location: Norcal

Re: how can i install my intel and nvidia graphic cards?

Post by invader_tak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:29 pm

PatH57 wrote: 2 if the above has no fail all drivers are ok
What does this mean? There is no obvious way that command registers a failure. On the other hand, if you install the drivers the OS itself prompts you to install, the computer crashes and becomes unbootable. That's failure.
The great thing about your people, Dib, is that most of them don't notice.

User avatar
PatH57
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4576
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:11 pm
Location: here and there

Re: how can i install my intel and nvidia graphic cards?

Post by PatH57 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:26 pm

the command will show the status of your cards and the drivers installed and if one says failed that means the correct driver is not loaded and needs to be manually added (it happens a lot with hybrid graphic card systems)
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

User avatar
invader_tak
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:48 am
Location: Norcal

Re: how can i install my intel and nvidia graphic cards?

Post by invader_tak » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:43 pm

jiomanjy wrote:1-how can i find out if my graphic cards are installed correctly or not?
It's not the cards, its the drivers. If the graphics card wasn't installed correctly you wouldn't see anything on your monitor but graphical artifacts and the BIOS. It would look like a computer from 1980. Happened to me, when my 8800 GTS died.

To check the drivers, navigate to Software and Updates. Select Additional Drivers. Does it say your system is using Nouveau drivers? Because those are the default that are included with the iso. They are crap.

To illustrate why they are crap, here's another method to check your drivers: Install Java 7 and play Minecraft. The game will barely run, and it will be full of graphical artifacts, like a computer from 1980. This is because Nouveau drivers can't do 3D rendering. They are this way by design. Nvidia designed them.

The reason is because Nvidia is in a hideous 3-way corporate marriage with Intel and Microsoft. Microsoft hates Linux. The hate is much more intense than the generic hate any capitalist has for socialism. Linux competes against the products that are central to Microsoft's fiscal health: Windows, Office, and Xbox. Microsoft's products are inferior, and not only cost money, they cost a lot of money. How can Microsoft possibly compete against that? Trade war.

Microsoft is pressuring Nvidia to not help Linux in any way. Linus Torvalds asked Nvidia to open source its drivers to help with gaming on Linux. Nvidia said no. Linus literally gave them the finger. The passive-aggression from Nvidia continues. For instance, they have intentionally crippled the proprietary drivers for Linux so they won't be "better" than the ones available on Windows. Really, we should be thankful that Linux drivers are available at all. Nvidia is still willing to sell to Linux users, for now.

Enter X.org which is responsible for, among other things, a repository for Nvidia drivers. Why aren't these baked into the iso? Another front in Microsoft's trade war against Linux. It's the same reason the iso's don't have support for mp3's. You have to download those from the official repositories. X.org's drivers are too hot even for the official repositories. A lot of what Canonical does (the company behind Ubuntu) is to keep Microsoft's army of lawyers from attacking. Canonical is a nonprofit; Microsoft has a cash reserve larger than most countries.
2-how can i install each one?

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
3-what happens if i dont install them? what problems will appear
Depends on what you do. If you do nothing, you're stuck with the Nouveau drivers. No 3D rendering means your computer will be slower. It should still be able to do Office-type stuff. But it also means things like games and video editing won't work. Maybe you can emulate the original Nintendo from 1986 and play 30-year-old roms. Alternately, if you attempt to switch to the proprietary drivers already listed in "Additional Drivers," your computer will crash so hard it won't boot. Recovering from that would require a whole other thread.
The great thing about your people, Dib, is that most of them don't notice.

jiomanjy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:14 am

Re: how can i install my intel and nvidia graphic cards?

Post by jiomanjy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:35 am

invader_tak wrote:
jiomanjy wrote:1-how can i find out if my graphic cards are installed correctly or not?
It's not the cards, its the drivers. If the graphics card wasn't installed correctly you wouldn't see anything on your monitor but graphical artifacts and the BIOS. It would look like a computer from 1980. Happened to me, when my 8800 GTS died.

To check the drivers, navigate to Software and Updates. Select Additional Drivers. Does it say your system is using Nouveau drivers? Because those are the default that are included with the iso. They are crap.

To illustrate why they are crap, here's another method to check your drivers: Install Java 7 and play Minecraft. The game will barely run, and it will be full of graphical artifacts, like a computer from 1980. This is because Nouveau drivers can't do 3D rendering. They are this way by design. Nvidia designed them.

The reason is because Nvidia is in a hideous 3-way corporate marriage with Intel and Microsoft. Microsoft hates Linux. The hate is much more intense than the generic hate any capitalist has for socialism. Linux competes against the products that are central to Microsoft's fiscal health: Windows, Office, and Xbox. Microsoft's products are inferior, and not only cost money, they cost a lot of money. How can Microsoft possibly compete against that? Trade war.

Microsoft is pressuring Nvidia to not help Linux in any way. Linus Torvalds asked Nvidia to open source its drivers to help with gaming on Linux. Nvidia said no. Linus literally gave them the finger. The passive-aggression from Nvidia continues. For instance, they have intentionally crippled the proprietary drivers for Linux so they won't be "better" than the ones available on Windows. Really, we should be thankful that Linux drivers are available at all. Nvidia is still willing to sell to Linux users, for now.

Enter X.org which is responsible for, among other things, a repository for Nvidia drivers. Why aren't these baked into the iso? Another front in Microsoft's trade war against Linux. It's the same reason the iso's don't have support for mp3's. You have to download those from the official repositories. X.org's drivers are too hot even for the official repositories. A lot of what Canonical does (the company behind Ubuntu) is to keep Microsoft's army of lawyers from attacking. Canonical is a nonprofit; Microsoft has a cash reserve larger than most countries.
2-how can i install each one?

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
3-what happens if i dont install them? what problems will appear
Depends on what you do. If you do nothing, you're stuck with the Nouveau drivers. No 3D rendering means your computer will be slower. It should still be able to do Office-type stuff. But it also means things like games and video editing won't work. Maybe you can emulate the original Nintendo from 1986 and play 30-year-old roms. Alternately, if you attempt to switch to the proprietary drivers already listed in "Additional Drivers," your computer will crash so hard it won't boot. Recovering from that would require a whole other thread.
i've installed playonlinux and bumblebee, and i've installed PES 2013 too, now if i want to use my nvidia 410m graphic i have to use bumblebee to use it, but how? i tried "optirun playonlinux", but this way the game does not open in playonlinux, what shall i do?

User avatar
PatH57
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4576
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:11 pm
Location: here and there

Re: how can i install my intel and nvidia graphic cards?

Post by PatH57 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:07 am

you still didn't provide the exact info on your hardware so it's difficult to give you relevant advise?

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
will show us all we need to know.
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

User avatar
invader_tak
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:48 am
Location: Norcal

Re: how can i install my intel and nvidia graphic cards?

Post by invader_tak » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:08 pm

jiomanjy wrote: i've installed playonlinux and bumblebee, and i've installed PES 2013 too, now if i want to use my nvidia 410m graphic i have to use bumblebee to use it, but how? i tried "optirun playonlinux", but this way the game does not open in playonlinux, what shall i do?
I can see 3 possible scenarios.

1: You may not have switched to the new drivers. Navigate to Software and Updates. Select Additional Drivers. What does it say your system is using? Because just installing the repositories and packages is not enough; you must switch to them, and reboot.

2: Bumblebee is causing problems. This is a program that has "trouble" written all over it. It exists only for "energy efficiency." What it does in practice is shut down your video card when, in it's sublime wisdom, it thinks you don't need it. Programs should not think. It's completely unnecessary, and the problem with unnecessary things is that they increase total complexity which increases the likelihood that something will fail, and do so without contributing anything to success.

3: The PlayOnLinux emulation layer is having problems. That's a completely different topic. It's quite normal to have trouble getting Wine (or some other Linux emulator) to work. Get thee hence to Google.
The great thing about your people, Dib, is that most of them don't notice.

Post Reply

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”