[SOLVED] Wrong monitor size + display doesn't fit TV screen

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
polo199

[SOLVED] Wrong monitor size + display doesn't fit TV screen

Post by polo199 »

Hi,

I'm new to Mint (and a newbie on Linux). Anyways... I have a display issue with my Linux Mint 17.1 which is running on my new Intel NUC DN2820. I've connected it over HDMI to an old Panasonic 37" HD-ready plasma TV.

After a couple of tries, I managed to get the NUC connected over HDMI to the TV. However, the image is a bit cropped. Every side of it is just a bit too large to fit the screen. For example, I can just see the top 1/3rd of the taskbar.

I've checked the display properties and I can see that Mint does detect that I have a Panasonic TV but it detects a 32" screen whereas my TV is 37". I don't know how to change that.

I've tried several resolutions but the image never fits my the screen perfectly.

I've used the usual trick to install the Intel Graphics driver and it improved the situation a little (image is fitting the screen a tad better and colours looks better too). However, it is still not OK.
I've connected my PC to a normal PC LCD screen and it works perfectly fine with the image fitting the screen perfectly.

- Is there any way i can force a 37" monitor info in the display properties?
- Would a resolution fit the screen (or is it always "interpreting" and I will not be able to get a good image on that old plasma TV)?

My problem looks quite similar to this one:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=174417
Except that (unfortunately) I have no ATI card. I have an Intel embedded chipset.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul
Last edited by polo199 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Wrong monitor size + display doesn't fit TV screen

Post by roblm »

In the TV's on-screen display (OSD) menu, turn off overscan mode by changing the input mode. Some TVs call it "Just Scan", "Full Pixel",
"True Pixel", "Screen Fit", "1:1 Mode", "Native Mode", "Dot by Dot" or possibly something else.

If these are no settings to control overscan, then type this command in the Terminal and post the output:
xrandr
Last edited by roblm on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
polo199

Post by polo199 »

Hi Robim,

Thanks for answering. I did not find any overscan option in my TV parameter panels.

!!!Crap! I'm sorry I found the option and it fixed the whole thing! Thanks a lot. Menus were in French and I went passed it cause I did not understand what it was about. Thanks a lot Robim!!!

Here's the result of the Xrandr:

Code: Select all

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 720, maximum 32767 x 32767
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 connected primary 1280x720+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 698mm x 392mm
   1280x720       50.0*+   60.0     59.9  
   1920x1080      60.0     50.0     59.9     24.0     24.0  
   1920x1080i     60.1     50.0     60.0  
   1440x576i      50.1  
   1440x480i      60.1     60.1  
   720x576        50.0  
   720x480        60.0     59.9  
   640x480        60.0     59.9  
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
For the record, here's what I see in the display properties:

Whereas my TV is a 37" (http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-televis ... specs.html).
I think there must be an EDID reading issue and Mint fills in the missing EDID info with whatever it can find in its DB.

Paul
Last edited by polo199 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Just to be sure, I wanted you to look at the TV's onscreen menu, not in System Settings > Display, for a setting to turn off overscan.

Another method to try is scaling the screen image using xrandr. In the Terminal type this command:

xrandr --output HDMI1 --scale 1.01x1.01
To reverse the effect, type:

xrandr --output HDMI1 --scale 1x1
If the image isn't right, then test other values:

xrandr --output HDMI1 --scale 1.02x1.02
xrandr --output HDMI1 --scale 1.03x1.03
polo199

Post by polo199 »

Yep! I thought my TV set did not have that option (since there's not much in the menus). But it had it.

I had come around the scaling too. I was think about either a custom EDID or using the scaling. But none of that was necessary.

Thanks again!

Paul
Soullesswars

Re: [SOLVED] Wrong monitor size + display doesn't fit TV screen

Post by Soullesswars »

Thank you I had the same problem with my panasonic tv, now its been corrected within the tv menu as well :D
guipy

Re: [SOLVED] Wrong monitor size + display doesn't fit TV screen

Post by guipy »

I'd like to thank robim, awesome hint! It fixed my issue too...I was struggling with xrandr, and it was the TV the whole time heheh

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”