Unable to install NVidia drivers (black screen)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tuxon86
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to install NVidia drivers (black screen)

Post by Tuxon86 »

Hi!

I'm about to go into panic attack mode... :oops:

I've been trying all evening to install LM 17.1 with the proprietary Nvidia 331 drivers, but each time I get a black screen after rebooting the system. I did a search on google and followed a lot of instruction but I can't seem to make them works. I still get that black screen (I hear the login chime though). I can uninstall the NV drivers, org and then reinstall the default driver and org again (as per the web instruction) to get back into a working installation, but I would really like to get some HW video acceleration since I'm studying graphics programming.

The video card is a GTX 660 Ti.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Unable to install NVidia drivers (black screen)

Post by roblm »

Driver Manager doesn't always work, so search for and install the nvidia-331 driver in Synaptic. If that fails, then try using the "nomodeset" parameter in the GRUB boot config line. Nomodeset is usually used where there are start up problems with the open source drivers such as nouveau. Then you will see this message at the desktop:
Running in software rendering mode, no video hardware acceleration and high CPU usage”,

and checking System Monitor will indeed show very high CPU usage. However, some users need to use this after installing the Nvidia driver, but you won't get that message and see the high CPU usage.

At the GRUB boot menu select the correct line but don’t press Enter. Press the “E” key to edit. If no menu shows then hold down the Shift key while starting. Using the arrow keys, go down to the line that starts with: linux /boot/vmlinuz............ro quiet splash $vt_handoff

Add a space to the end of the line and then add the parameter: nomodeset
Press F10 to start your system.

If that fails, then try installing the nvidia-304 driver.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”