ATI Xpress 200 8.34 driver problems

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bwjpg
Level 2
Level 2

ATI Xpress 200 8.34 driver problems

Post by bwjpg »

Hi I'm a new Linux Mint user. Using the Envy script program (thanks Alberto) I managed to install the ATI proprietary Linux driver. Works fine. Plays a mean game of Penguin Racer.
Thing is when I try to get to the login page (Quit > Log Out) the machine hangs. Same when I switch user. That I think you'll agree is a major bug. It's definitely the ATI driver doing something because when I switched back to the default VESA mode everything worked fine.
I understand there is an updated (8.35) driver out. Will this solve the problem?
I am a bit embarassed to say that Envy automatically downloaded the driver and now I can't find where it is on my system (no sniggering). My thinking is that if I delete the downloaded driver Envy will check the ATI server, get the updated 8.35 driver and that will magically solve everything.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

I would suggest running envy and selecting "uninstall ati driver" and than "install ati driver"
bwjpg
Level 2
Level 2

Same problem

Post by bwjpg »

Thanks Run n Duck tried out your suggestion. It all worked without a hitch. One problem was getting bash to see the run file. When it was on the desktop it couldn't see it but when I moved the run file in to the tmp folder it could see it. Curious.
It all works fine again. Except same problem with machine hanging when I log out. I have an Athlon 64 3000 running in an MSI RS480 motherboard with an integrated ATI Xpress 200 graphics chipset. Are you able to log out and log back in with your set up?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”