Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

How to get Nvidia Cards Reolution set

Post by McLovin » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:23 am

I have noticed alot of ppl having issues getting the Nvidia resolution set properly, and get them to stick after you reboot. I have not seen anyone post this solution, so I will.
This is the easiest way of getting everything working right, and it is all done through a GUI, no need to mess with xorg.conf file manually, so it is ideal for Linux noobs.
Ok, ready? Let's get started.

Firstly, if this is a new Mint install, run all updates before installing the vidio drivers to avoid having to reinstall them due to a kernel update

First, to install the drivers, i recommend using EnvyNG, if you are using Mint6, you will not have a gui for it, so do this, open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo envyng -t
, this will open EnvyNG in text mode
if you are on Mint5, then you have a gui for EnvyNG, just select it from the menu,
and then install the drivers for your card, most like just use the recommended ones. after the install, reboot your computer.

If you decide you want to install the drivers manually, (I DO NOT recommend this for new users) you can download the drivers at the Nvidia web site, or if you want the beta drivers, you can go to the Nvidia Advanced Driver Search and get the betas. Download the drivers you want/need, and place them in your home folder, I recommend renaming them to something easy to remember, as the name is long, (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-177.82-pkg1.run) and you have to type it in a console to use it, (I rename mine to n.run for example). then, once all that is done, open a terminal and enter this

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
this will drop you out to a command line interface. you will want to change to another "virtual console" so that you can enter commands, to do this hit "alt+F1", you will be asked for a login, just enter your login info, and you will then be able to enter the commands you need to.
Now once logged in, you want to install the drivers, cd to where you saved the the driver install, eg: if you saved it to you Desktop, you enter

cd /home/<your user name>/Desktop
replace <your user name> with, well, your user name. then install the driver, this is where making sure you renamed the file comes in handy, if you renamed it like I did, it is easy to do.
To install the driver enter this into the command line

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-177.82-pkg1.run
or if you renamed it to n.run, like I did you would enter

sudo sh n.run
this will install the Nvidia drivers for you, just follow the instructions on the screen. once the install completes, enter

sudo reboot
and the computer will reboot.

Once your system reboots, login as usual. You will notice that your resolution is set at 800x600, this is an easy fix.
Hit alt+F2, and enter this

gksu nvidia-settings
this will open the nvidia settings dialogue in root mode, (you need to do this in root mode to save the settings you are about to make).

In the menu on the left, select "X Server Display Configuration",

then in the main pain, you will see an option for resolution,

set that to whatever your screen resolution should be through the drop-down menu, and hit apply.

Then a box will come up asking if you would like to keep the current settings, if they are correct, just select ok. once all this is done, click on "Save to X Configuration File"

a dialogue box will come up, just select ok to everything in there. Now your settings have been saved to your xorg.conf, and you didn't have to do any dirty config inside the file, it is all done for you through a gui, and now when you reboot, your settings will be the same as you just set them to. I hope this helps.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to get Nvidia Cards Reolution set

Post by Husse » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:53 pm

Nice - but I thought you were more into ATI cards...
Anyway - does this look familiar?
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =42&t=3908
And you don't have to worry about long names - you can autocomplete - just type a letter or two and hit tab
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by McLovin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:34 pm

I was using ATI for a long time, and still do in my laptop, but my desktop card is now an Nvidia.

bobsmith
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bobsmith » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:04 am

Thank you McLovin! I had no idea that I had to open the nvidia settings dialogue in root mode. That's why my settings weren't sticking. Plus I didn't know how to install Nvidia drivers manually. I use Envy, but one never knows when I might need to do it manually, so I saved your instructions. This is EXACTLY the type of help those of us who are switching over from XP need - with very specific step-by-step, exact commands, and even screen-shots. It is greatly appreciated.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 64-bit, Cinnamon Version 3.2.7, 16GB RAM, Intel Core i5-6500 CPU

jscogna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jscogna » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Your information was very helpful. I'm new to Linux and had difficulties getting the driver to function. It seems that there is a bug, nvidia settings should have the password login when you open the app if you are going to make administrative changes. Once again you rock. Thanks

Ozz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ozz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:58 am

Excellent, in my noob mode, I had been on the 800x600 resolution. Had not bothered to spruce up my screen.

What a difference it makes!

Thanks again for the detailed instructions.

batman1978
Level 1
Level 1

Post by batman1978 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:50 pm

I have followed all the step by step instructions in here

all works except its not saving after reboot.

When I reboot, the login user screen does have my desired resolution, but once i type in my user/pass the resolution goes back to 800x600
and i have to run gksu nvidia-settings everytime i log in.

at nvidia settings... when clicking on the save to x configuration file it does not show any errors,
i have tried both, checking and unchecking the merge with preexistant configuration box, it still the same

what should i do?

thanks for help

McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by McLovin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:56 pm

are you sure you are running nvidia-settings as root?
Original Post wrote: Once your system reboots, login as usual. You will notice that your resolution is set at 800x600, this is an easy fix.

gksu nvidia-settings

batman1978
Level 1
Level 1

Post by batman1978 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:14 pm

McLovin wrote:are you sure you are running nvidia-settings as root?
Original Post wrote: Once your system reboots, login as usual. You will notice that your resolution is set at 800x600, this is an easy fix.

gksu nvidia-settings

yes ive rebooted so many times and i still have to hit alt f2 enter gksu nvidia-settings and change resolution

this is what my xorg.conf file looks like

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 1.0  (buildd@palmer)  Mon Nov  3 08:46:46 UTC 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "type1"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Daewoo 17 PnP-CRT"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 70.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 160.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce4 Ti 4600"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "1280x960 +0+0; 1152x864 +0+0; nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by McLovin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:40 pm

this is the reason,

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce4 Ti 4600"
EndSection
That card is a legacy card, Im not positive, but I think the config works a bit differently for legacy.
Instead of using the nvidia-settings, try using screen resolution in the system menu.

batman1978
Level 1
Level 1

Post by batman1978 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:23 pm

That did it.
Thanks!

pgcsec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pgcsec » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:05 pm

As a complete noobie to Linux, thank you for getting my NVIDIA card up and running with the minimum of fuss.

Your very easy approach using the terminal through GUI, allowed me to have two monitors up and running very quickly.

Thanks very much indeed

MikeA36
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MikeA36 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Thanks! I have been looking for an answer to this annoying problem for months with no luck.. come to this forum, and bam.. find it with ease. You guys rock, and Mint 7 is sweet! :)

denyu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denyu » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:13 pm

this will open the nvidia settings dialogue in root mode, (you need to do this in root mode to save the settings you are about to make).
I Know it might be sound silly but how to open Nvdia setting dialogue in root mode ? I cannot save my xconf file... just hit ALT-F2 type gksu nvdia-setting ?

McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by McLovin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:49 pm

gksu nvidia-settings

denyu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denyu » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:48 am

I don't know seems notworking but the problem solved I re-write xconf file thanks anyway

arboon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arboon » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:22 pm

I recently installed Mint 7 on my desktop and simply cannot get my resolution above 800x600. When I install the recommended Nvidia driver (for Geforce MX 400) is gets even worse, the highest is 640x400. I have been browsing through the forum for so may day snow and I can't get it to work on a higher res. A pain in the neck, since I really like Mint, but this annoys me so much I think of getting back to OpenSuse. I followed the instructions above, tried other drivers, but I don't get a higher res to choose from than 640x400. I don't have a KVM switch or anything. Is there any solution? Many thanks.

mark44
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mark44 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:02 am

I too thought that this would help but still have no luck ,i have been trying for two days straight trying to get my display above 640x480 using nvidia ,there seems to be a problem when you use the geforce mx400 which sux because i have used other linux distros and they seem to just work,i am nearly at the point of going back to xp ,so please can somebody help me out, here is my xorg.conf.Thanks for any help Mark.

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "False"
EndSection

arboon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arboon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:57 am

Hi Mark
I saw your post. Your xorg.conf is exactly as mine. It sux indeed, but I have found out that this problem is not uncommon for Nvidia cards. I have read a lot last weeks about these res probs with Mint and Ubuntu and Nvidia cards. I have no clue why this seems to be a nvidia-specific problem. I tried so many things, rewriting xorg.conf, installing different drivers, changing bootloader...nothings works under this distro. A loss for Mint, because otherwise I really like it. I will buy a new laptop shortly, with another graphic card likely, and see if Mint will install with a better res than 800x600. If not, I will go back to opensuse-gnome which worked fine with my old nvidia-card. Anyway, XP still is a good option (oops don't say this out loud at Linux fundies), but start up time and closing is so time consuming. Good luck with your quest, and if you find a solution, please post it here.
Best
Arjen

reda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by reda » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:14 pm

help me plz in nvidia x server setting .i choose x server display configuration but the resolution are just 640*480 and 320*240. for me i cant work with this resolution (in windows i use 1024*720).i informed you that my graphique card is Nvidia GeForce 2 mx/mx 400 . so what is the solution i am new in mint7 and i love very much linux plz realise my wishe to use 1024*720.plz people and plz if there is a solution explane more bekoz i dont know any thing in linux .thank you.there are some information about my hardware.
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset Host Bridge (rev 04)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 04)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 05)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.4 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
02:01.0 USB Controller: OPTi Inc. 82C861 (rev 10)
02:02.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306 Fire II IEEE 1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller (rev 46)
02:03.0 Communication controller: Ambient Technologies Inc HaM controllerless modem (rev 02)

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”