Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Optimus Graphics works great - Mint 17.2

Post by mint-me »

GuizmoPhil wrote:I hadn't noticed that was a new feature from 17.2, since I just upgraded from 17.1 ans was already using nvidia-prime with prime-indicator.

But since I did upgrade to 17.2, I am now unable to switch GPU, it's always on the Intel GPU, but always shows the nvidia logo in the "system tray".

I'm no Linux god, does anyone know how to completely uninstall the nvidia-prime and prime-indicator I had, in order to reinstall correctly the one included in Mint 17.2? Right now it seems there's a conflict somewhere.
Hi GuizmoPhil. did you upgrade the kernel as described in "Additional info" section on How to upgrade to Linux Mint 17.2 ?

Prime should work better on kernel 3.16, as it has better control of graphics cards. If this does not solve problem, you can try and purge then install as described in my post above.

Let us know how you go.
Linux Mint 20 XFCE 64bit - HP Notebook 15 BS143TU Intel® Core™ i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz, Intel® UHD Graphics 620, 1366x768 15.6", 1 TB SATA
StratosJL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by StratosJL »

Hello, does anyone know if the tray icon can be installed in KDE too?
StratosJL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by StratosJL »

StratosJL wrote:Hello, does anyone know if the tray icon can be installed in KDE too?
Yes, it works just fine.
SkepticalTech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SkepticalTech »

I'm using the KDE edition, and I followed mint-me's directions about upgrading the kernel, purging Bumblebee (note, I had to purge bbswitch-dkms, not bbswitch), and updating the driver.

I still didn't have the little icon in the tray.

On a hunch, I looked through Synaptic for 'prime' and lo and behold, found: nvidia-prime-applet.

Installed, that,reboot, boom, icon. However, two annoyances are that I have to log out and back in, and that it requires a password, but hey, it works.

Edit: Not very happy with this however, I get lots of stuttering in Minecraft even with Nvidia enabled. The framerate easily stays over 90 fps, but it doesn't look smooth. I'm going to go back to bumblebee. Using Windows on the same machine gives me vastly more smoothness.
gawells
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gawells »

I'm not sure why this forum is claiming optimus support when you have logout and back in again to switch between accelerated and non-accelerated modes

I'd like to be able to run certain apps with opengl accelerated. I can load and unload the nvidia module manually, but can't seem to use the bumblebee wrapper approach :(

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”