Cinnamon on Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Juan Lucas

Cinnamon on Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series

Post by Juan Lucas »

Hi everyone! I've installed Linux Mint 17.2 with cinnamon on my netbook and I get a message saying that "Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration [..] There could be a problem with your driver or some other issue.". The environment runs with low fps too. My netbook has Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series. The CPU is Intel(R) Atom(TM) n2600.

Where can I download drivers for those?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nonkel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon on Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series

Post by nonkel »

If you go to: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... 600-Series , you will find that Intel only supports Windows 7 for this graphic card. :(
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Software Rendering - All of the graphics is being routed to your CPU instead of the graphics hardware GPU . . which is not good.
Cinnamon requires high-end 3D capable graphics hardware. Your best choice would be installing either Mint's Xfce or MATE editions.
nonkel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nonkel »

@richyrich: install Mint xfce is exactly what I did and it's the best solution, thank you :)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

nonkel wrote:@richyrich: install Mint xfce is exactly what I did and it's the best solution, thank you :)
Also, if you don't have 3D accelerated video you should turn off all the desktop compositing/eye candy.

The easiest way to do this in Xfce is to go into settings > desktop settings > windows. There's a popuip window that probably is set to 'Xfwm4 + Compositing". Change that to just Xfwm.

I am typing this on a netbook with the same Atom CPU and Intel video card (aka Cedarview), which was actually outsourced and it's frankly infamous in Linux. Don't bother looking for video drivers. There aren't any and I do not ever expect 3D accelerated video in Linux with this gpu. It dodn't even work properly in Windows.

Also, on a netbook such as this I recommend Chrome for a browser. Firefox is too heavy and chromium (the open source version of Chrome) is too limited. I.e. with the latter, forget Netfliux or similar.

If you want to watch video files I'd recommend gnome-mplayer. It's a very light and fast GUI for one of the lightest and fastest media players around. The speed is very, very noticeable on such a machine.

However I hope you weren't planning on using it for gaming or watching HD video. It won't do this properly at all. HEVC video will be difficult too.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”