Forum rules
Before you post please read this
rozen
Level 1
Level 1

Black lines with 17.2 Xfce

Post by rozen » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi

I have recently updated Mint 17.1 to 17.2 which includes Xfce 4.12. There now appears a vertical line about 80% of the way across the screen. My monitor is a Dell 27 in. running at 1920x1200 resolution. The graphics card is a GForce 7300 LE, and the driver is Nvivia 305-125. In the background there also appears to be a horizontal line as well but it does not appear in an open window.

I would appreciate any suggest as to how to eliminate this artefact.

By the way how do I revert Xfce to 4.10 to test if Xfce is really to blame?

Thanks in Advance,
Don

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Black lines with 17.2 Xfce

Post by karlchen » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:23 am

Hello, Don.

When you upgraded from Mint 17.1 xfce 4.10 to Mint 17.2 xfce 4.12, the upgrade process will have upgraded a lot more software packages than just those that are part of xfce.

Which packages precisely have been upgraded on your system, depends on the exact system state right before the upgrade. The exact list of upgraded packages can only be determined
+ either by carefully inspecting the logfile /var/log/dpkg.log
+ or by going through the graphical representation of the same file in Update Manager => View => Update History

As I am using xfce 4.12 on my Mint 17.1 as well, without experiencing any visual artefacts anywhere, I have my doubts that xfce 4.12 will be to blamed for your graphical problems.
By the way, a screenshot illustrating the problem might be helpful.

Actually, from my perspective trying to figure out which software module is causing the problem on your system and trying to solve the root cause will be a better approach than trying to downgrade xfce 4.12 to xfce 4.10.

In order to start the analysis of what may be wrong, please, post the complete screen output of the terminal command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
This will tell which kernel you are using, which video driver etc pp.

Also please post the complete list of software modules that the upgrade from Mint 17.1 to Mint 17.2 upgraded.
You might achieve this goal like this:
  • load the complete file /var/log/dpkg.log in your editor
  • mark everything by pressing <Ctrl>A and copy it into the clipboard by pressing <Ctrl>C
  • in your browser navigate to http://pastebin.com
  • paste the clipboard content there in the edit box under "New Paste" by pressing <Ctrl>V
  • Click [Submit]
  • Once submitting has finished, the address in the browser address bar will change to be something like this http://pastebin.com/S1bRtvxe
  • Copy this address and post it in your next reply.
  • Please let us also know the date and time when your upgrade from Mint 17.1 to Mint 17.2 had been started. This piece of information will make it easier to retrieve the relevant information inside the dpkg.log file.
Cheers,
Karl
--
P.S.:
In the post below I will give you a step by step instruction on how to downgrade to xfce 4.10.
It has not been tested. So use it with extreme care.
Also I doubt that downgrading to xfce 4.10 will be the way to solve the reported graphical problem.
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:28 am

<Downgrading xfce 4.12 to 4.10. Untested. Use with care!>

Hello, Don.

Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela xfce comes with xfce 4.12. Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca xfce came with xfce 4.10.
So in order to go back to xfce 4.10, you will have to return to Linux Mint 17.1.

Beware:
Unless you have created a complete system backup of Mint 17.1 with xfce 4.10 which you can simply restore, reverting from Mint 17.2 back to Mint 17.1 brings along a certain risk of breaking your system.
Manually reverting from Mint 17.2 to Mint 17.1 should be possible, though. - Yet, I have not done so myself, because I am running Mint 17.1 still and have no wish of reverting it to Mint 17.0 just for testing purposes.
So, please, please, please, use the steps given below with care and at your own risk.

In order to downgrade from Mint 17.2 to Mint 17.1 you will have to
  • edit the main sources list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list and replace both occurences of rafaela by rebecca.

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com rebecca main upstream import
    deb http://extra.linuxmint.com rebecca main
  • refresh the list of available software packages e.g. by running

sudo apt-get update
    or by clicking [Refresh] inside Synaptic Package Manager.
  • In case you had not used Synaptic for the previous step, launch Synaptic Package Manager now
    • Inside Synaptic mark the package xfce4 for removal. This should mark all relevant xfce 4.12 packages for removal as well. Confirm and uninstall them.
    • Still inside Synaptic mark the packages mint-meta-xfce for (re-)installation. This should pull back in all the removed packages, only this time the 4.10 versions, because the 4.12 versions are not listed in the Mint 17.1 software list.
    • Once the re-installation has been finished, close Synaptic.
  • Log off from the GUI. Log back in.
  • Check which xfce version you are using e.g. by executing

xfwm4 --version
Keep my fingers crossed, the given steps will work as expected.

Kind regards,
Karl

</Downgrading xfce 4.12 to 4.10. Untested. Use with care!>
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

rozen
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Black lines with 17.2 Xfce [Solved]

Post by rozen » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:43 pm

Karl,

Thanks for you comprehensive reply.

It turns out that posting the same question on an Xfce form, I was referred to another posting that advised one to go to Window Manager Tweaks -> Compositor and turn off "Show Shadows under dock windows" and behold the black lines disappeared. I would never have associated that setting with the artefacts I was seeing but they are gone and I am once again a happy Xfce user.

Again Thank You,

Don

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:37 am

Hi, Don.

Hey, would not have suspected the solution to be such a small thing, either. :wink: - But definitely good to know. Great that the guys in the xfce forum hit the nail on the head so quickly. - Thanks for sharing the solution with us. :)

Cheers,
Karl

toomanyquestions
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Black lines with 17.2 Xfce [Solved]

Post by toomanyquestions » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Great post! I had a similar problem - a vertical line across the top third of my screen. Your solution worked immediately. Once again this reinforces the golden rule of linux: be kind & check the forum first.
rozen wrote: It turns out that posting the same question on an Xfce form, I was referred to another posting that advised one to go to Window Manager Tweaks -> Compositor and turn off "Show Shadows under dock windows" and behold the black lines disappeared.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”