NVIDIA updated and lost display

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

NVIDIA updated and lost display

Post by palo »

Hello.

Hoping for some help to get my display back. I ran MintUpdate today which installed nVidia 304 and 340 updates. I have a 8600 GT card and was using the 304 updates driver as I remember. After a reboot I get a shell only and with a STARTX command get some error displays:

NVIDIA:API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 340.93 but this NVIDIA driver component has version 304.128. Please make sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version.

Fatal server error:
No screens found

I assume this problem happened as kernel modules built during the update. I rebooted right after the update.

Finding a similar case it was reported that a solution was to apt-get purge nvidia-* http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2205149
Before I try this I would like to know if it is the best solution and if so what the next steps might be.
Using Maya XFCE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: NVIDIA updated and lost display

Post by Pjotr »

Purging the current nvidia packages looks like a good idea. That should force your system to fall back on the nouveau driver. Afterwards, reboot.

Finally, install the legacy nvidia-304 again and *do not* change this ever again. Not the nvidia-304-updates either; just the legacy nvidia-304. Then reboot.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: NVIDIA updated and lost display

Post by palo »

Thanks for your input Pjotr. That worked and I am back in business.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”