Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Kudalufi
Level 1
Level 1

Intel HD3000 drivers how?

Post by Kudalufi »

Hello all,

I'm trying to get OpenGL working on my new Mint 17.3 install for an Intel HD3000 (Intel Core i3-2350 intrinsic adapter). There is absolutely nothing shown on the Driver Manager window when it is run. How do I get hardware OpenGL support?

Thanks

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Intel HD3000 drivers how?

Post by xenopeek »

Kudalufi wrote:There is absolutely nothing shown on the Driver Manager window when it is run.
This is correct. Intel doesn't have proprietary drivers and their drivers are included with the Linux kernel.

Core i3-2350 doesn't exist so I think you mean the laptop processor Core i3-2350M. That's Sandy Bridge generation and I have a Core i5 processor from the same generation and OpenGL "just works".

You can run the command "glxinfo" on the terminal to get information about OpenGL support. It's a bit long so I suggest you copy & paste this command to the terminal instead which will only show you the relevant bits:

Code: Select all

glxinfo | egrep '^direct rendering|^OpenGL renderer'
It should output something like:

Code: Select all

direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Desktop 
You can also test OpenGL framerate by running the command "glxgears" on the terminal.

Is there a specific problem or error you got that leads you to think you need another driver?

Kudalufi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Intel HD3000 drivers how?

Post by Kudalufi »

xenopeek wrote:Is there a specific problem or error you got that leads you to think you need another driver?
Thanks for all the info. The problem I'm having is in getting Fosphor to work. I'm thinking it may be related to OpenCL rather than the graphics drivers. I continue to work the problem. Though if you know of anyone who has gotten Fosphor to work in an Intel GPU environment, I'd appreciate pointers.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”