Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
AntEater
Level 1
Level 1

black screen weirdness

Post by AntEater » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:33 pm

I have installed Mint on my system and the graphics behavior is very strange. The Grub screen is completely black, (both on the installer/live boot as well as the hard drive installation), the boot process shows the mint logo but the screen goes fully black before loading the login screen. The login screen is dark, but I can see the input box. Once logged in, everything is black except for the mouse cursor. No panels, menus, desktop image or anything else. I can right click on the desktop (that I can't see) and view the pop-up menu. From there I can open a terminal and that's how I've been working with the system. From the terminal the various applications I've tried do run and are visible. I've been using Linux since '94 and I've not run into anything quite this odd in a long time. I haven't found anything in my searches that deals with this problem so I thought I'd see if anyone else might have solved it.

Code: Select all

>> inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.org 1.17.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 80x33 Advanced Data: N/A for root

Code: Select all

>> lspci|grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Linux Mint 17.3 x64 (Cinnamon) on a Zotac NM10/WiFi Intel Atom N510 motherboard, 2GB RAM, 1TB drive.

cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Re: black screen weirdness

Post by cwsnyder » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:37 pm

If you press the Ctrl-Alt-F2 key combination (or one of the other alternate consoles), can you get to an alternate text-only console? Are your text-only consoles also dark print on dark background, or is it just your GUI?
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit

AntEater
Level 1
Level 1

Re: black screen weirdness

Post by AntEater » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 pm

cwsnyder wrote:If you press the Ctrl-Alt-F2 key combination (or one of the other alternate consoles), can you get to an alternate text-only console? Are your text-only consoles also dark print on dark background, or is it just your GUI?
The virtual consoles were all functioning normally. The graphical programs were also of normal brightness and contrast, just no desktop interface. I eventually found my way around this issue. From the commandline I launched the Cinnamon settings application. When I tried to mess with the display settings I got an error. A quick Google search showed that the cinnamon-settings-daemon wasn't running for some reason. I started the daemon manually. That didn't fix my desktop problem directly. It turns out that the graphics card has two interfaces (vga & hdmi) and the desktop was defaulting to make the hdmi interface the default for the desktop, even though there wasn't a monitor connected to it. The vga apparently was seen as the non-primary display. I changed that in the display settings now that I have the ability to apply those changes (thanks to the setttings daemon) and the desktop panels.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”