AMD integrated graphics, and speed.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

AMD integrated graphics, and speed.

Post by momist »

Hi everyone. I'm working on cheap upgrades for my PC to improve the speed, and I have a question about the AMD integrated graphics.
First; I am no gamer. I use the PC for emails, browsing, photo-editing, YouTube, iPlayer, music, videos and some downloaded films. Nothing graphic intensive there. I do need to upgrade my monitor, as it is not as bright as it once was. I run in 1280x1024p(5:4). I'm on Mint 17.3 Rosa with Cinnamon.
The machine is a home built msi FM2-A75MA-E35 mobo with AGP A8-5600k processor, currently using the processor's integrated graphics. I have two 1TB HDs (one for backup), but in the quest of a speed improvement, there is a 120GB SSD on it's way to me. I intend to put the OS and my home directory on that, leaving all the photos, films and other large files on the HDs.

So, my question is: Since I don't need a graphics card to support better graphics, will I see a speed improvement by using one? If so, what level of card do I need? Would I even notice the increase in speed, if there is one?

I am likely to buy used, off fleabay, and the range available is huge. PCIe-2x16. I have been looking at Nvidia Geforce 610 with passive cooling (I don't want ANY more fans!) and these come cheaply with 512Mb or more expensively with 1 or 2 GB DDR3. Would I be better with an AMD card?
Please don't tell me about the possibility of crossfire. I've looked at that, and those compatible cards come at huge expense, and all of them carry large noisy fans.

Thanks for any input.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I have 16GB RAM - but not the extra fast stuff.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Re: AMD integrated graphics, and speed.

Post by Alexiy »

If by 'speed' you mean general performance, then increase will be in the visual area (don't know how to explain it better). General performance mostly depends on CPU and hard drive transfer rates.
In my opinion, Nvidia's cards have better Linux support than AMD's, but I don't know whether you can put Nvidia card in this motherboard.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

You need to do an audit on your current system.

I would bet that most of that 16gigs of ram is going to waste. You might find that you are using a lot less than even 8 gigs doing whatever. The only reason I would use such an amount of ram is if I was running Virtualbox and other operating systems.

The processor that you mention is a budget processor and its going to give you a budget performance. The same goes for the video part of the chip. I would recommend something like a NVIDIA 720 pcie card to offload the video work from the chipset. Your almost certainly going to see an improvement in performance there depending on what you are doing.

I agree with your thoughts on going fanless. Seems like the fan dies and then it takes the video card with it. Most fans on video cards are pretty darn cheap and they never seem to last.

My system is listed in my footer below. I do run a NVIDIA 720 fanless 1 gig card.

Here is the deal about building a system. A lot of people will complain that they do not have the money to buy decent components. I see this a lot in laptop purchases. They end up in my shop for various reasons and need upgrades to keep up with software and changes in how they use them. Instead, When people are looking to buy computers you should concentrate on the processor. The reason I say this is because once you buy a budget system its more expensive to upgrade the processor because you end up swapping out the motherboard, memory and processor. Real life example: I have a 6 core AMD processor with 8 gigs ram. I have had this for years and its still a very strong setup. In time, All I have really done is upgrade my video card. In the long run I have spent a lot less money than someone that started out with a weak processor/motherboard because of money issues and then later wanting to upgrade it.

So, Ideally, To answer your question if you want the most bang for the buck I would replace the processor with something much stronger. You might find that your going to have to replace the mboard also. But that gives you a strong base to build from. Get a hold of AMD's 8 core processor and you can pair it with an inexpensive ASROCK board and be so much better off. Pair the processor with a good AM3/+ board it can even be a micro board. Thats where your biggest performance boost will come from.

JMHO,

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
don250r

Post by don250r »

Basically I agree with coffee.

However,I think you should ditch AMD all together.
AMD itself admitted "We cannot compete with Intel on the high-end".
And even the 6700K out-performs the 9590. (AMD's greatest downfall: trying to do the same, with half of what Intel is using*).
Although Intel is more expensive, you get more "bang for the buck".

And on a sidebar, do you really want a CPU company, that cant compete with Intel, making your video card??

Just 2 cents from an Nvidia/Intel fanboy :P

* this has been on-going since the K6-2 days, 2 clock cycles per Intel's 1, now its the FPU's.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

coffee412 wrote: I would bet that most of that 16gigs of ram is going to waste. You might find that you are using a lot less than even 8 gigs doing whatever.
coffee
Thanks for your reply coffee, yes, I can't disagree with that about the memory. But then, too much memory is better than too little. I was offered a deal when I was upgrading last time - I bid on 4 x 4GB but ended up accepting 2 x 8GB because the listing had an error and the price was right. I ended up with 2 of: G.Skill 8GB Single Channel Memory Kit (1x 8GB, DDR3, 1600MHz, 1.5v, F3-1600C11S-8GNT). Now, as I say, not the fastest memory, but at least I have plenty of it. The mobo prefers two matching units rather than a single, so I just put it all in.

As for the processor, as I said I'm not a gamer, so absolute blistering performance is not the issue. I sometime get annoyed when I try to load a fine scan of a photo and viewing in pixels, when I move the image about it has a hesitation. Whether this is down to the integrated graphics or not I don't know. The PC started life years and years ago and the only original component now is the full size ATX case. I'm on my third (or is it fourth?) mobo, and I have always bought used components, usually about a year old, from others upgrading their stuff. It's amazing how cheap you can build a PC this way, if you are not too fussy about the latest and greatest, and want to keep the price down. I don't depend on the PC for work or anything, it's just a hobby. Money is not as tight now as it used to be, and each year I tend to spend a little to 'improve' the system. This time its the SSD, and I was just wondering about the graphics card and whether I should include that. I'm looking at 1GB NVIDIA GT620? About £20 or less.

Thanks as well, don. I have always been a user of AMD, since the first build back in the day when it made a lot of sense. If I get the urge to change the mobo and processor again, I may well go the Intel route.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Hi Momist,

Ok, I understand your situation now. Stick with everything you have and pick up the video card. Darn, I live in the states and have a NVIDIA GX650 but it has a fan if that wouldnt bother you (??) I would send it to you. Anyways, Yes the video card should make a very noticeable difference. Be sure to load the Nvidia driver to get best performance out of it.

Let me know how you like the SSD and what you bought :)

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”