[Mint 18] Laptop freezes randomly with nvidia but not intel card

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobtedbob

[Mint 18] Laptop freezes randomly with nvidia but not intel card

Post by bobtedbob »

Hi

This is for Linux Mint 18 with Cinnamon desktop

I have a laptop with both an integrated intel card and a dedicated nvidia (860M). I can successfully log in with both the Nvidia card selected and the Intel card. Th Nvidia is using the 361 drivers. The isssue I have is that when I use the Nvidia card it eventually freezes (after about 30 seconds) the entire laptop and I need to hard reboot (I can't select the console with Ctrl-Alt-F1), this freezing happens with out pressing any keys nor using trackpad (ie it doesn't matter if you use them or not).

I have a couple of questions here, is there a log file I can log file I can look to try and see what happened? looking in /var/log didn't provide much? Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions for how to have a stable dedicated graphics card setup?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Proxima
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Mint 18] Laptop freezes randomly with nvidia but not intel card

Post by Proxima »

Do you have any other system installed that runs fine? USB/DVD installer Live works ok?
If the answer to any of those is no then it kinda feels like some hardware issue, perhaps overheating or malfunctioning RAM? (you can run memtest from installer media). Perhaps the nvidia chip might be faulty? Or causes the system to overheat due to some cooling problems - dust, old thermal paste.

Sorry I can't really answer and of the questions you asked, too new here myself.
#1 Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit @ i7 3520M, 16GB, Intel HD4000
#2 Mint 21.1 Xfce 64 bit @ i5 3320M, 4GB, Intel HD4000
#3 Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit @ FX-6300, 12GB, AMD RX560
bobtedbob

Post by bobtedbob »

It was working with 17.3 (with some hacks due to issues with 17.3), but 18 goes a lot further long with out making any hacks. Most issues I have read talk about it freezing before or at login but I get to the desktop ok. I;ll see if I can run some temperature monitors to see if that is causing anything.
bobtedbob

Post by bobtedbob »

I have found a solution, but I don't really know the issue. I went in to terminal mode and ran journalctl -f and watched the events unfold while leaving the laptop alone. I then got some error messages come up which I googled.

NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU while in atomic or interrupt context

It sounds like other people had the issue and they fixed it by selecting the Preferred Mode in the PowerMizer settings to "Prefer Maximum Performance". This is in the NVIDIA X Server Settings control panel.

Laptop seems pretty stable now, hopefully it will stay that way.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”