Dell 15 ubuntu edition - inspiron 3552

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bugeyedalien
Level 2
Level 2

Dell 15 ubuntu edition - inspiron 3552

Post by bugeyedalien »

Hello !

I just want to report that I am unable to get Intel Graphics hardware acceleration on Linux Mint 18
with topic laptop. I only get a black screen on boot right after choosing to boot LM 18 in Grub.

17.3 works fine (in a limited way as the hardware is not very powerful to say the least.)

17.3 based on trusty has a working Xorg, but 18 has not.. Latest kernel 4.4.31 (I believe that was it).

I dont have the laptop here right now to paste the hardware specs but will return to the thread with this as soon as I can.

I am able to get into the GUI with nomodeset and i915.modeset=0 but thats really useless for any serious use.

I cant understand why this would not work with Xenial based Mint as Trusty based worked ok.

Is it the Atom hardware that this laptop is based on that is the problem ?

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/har ... 504-18248/

Any initial hints would be great .. probably more people out there who bought this Ubuntu Dell laptop...

Looks like the VGA is " intel corporation device 22b1 (rev 21) " Braswell ??

Kernel problem ?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1332615
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
QuadraQ

Re: Dell 15 ubuntu edition - inspiron 3552

Post by QuadraQ »

I'm having the exact same problem with another Braswell based laptop, specifically the Dell Inspiron 14 3452 with an Intel Pentium N3700. Had an install of Gnome Ubuntu 16.04 that had WiFi problems that I hoped would be fixed with 16.10. After the upgrade I could no longer boot successfully. I thought the upgrade had failed so I did a fresh install, but still couldn't boot. After some searches I learned I could boot using the nomodeset option, but that's not what I want of course. I decided to try Mint because I wasn't that happy with Gnome, but ran into the same issue. I bought (and upgraded) this laptop specifically to install and learn Linux, and at this point I don't even know what to do next. Sad.
bugeyedalien
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bugeyedalien »

Yeah Ive been banging my head against the cyberwall on this for months now .. The Intel Atom graphics or whatever seem to stop any successful boot on my laptop. I was able to install kernel 4.2 or thereabouts with the kernel directives that was on the original Ubuntu install. This on Linux Mint 17.3 but any later kernels just dont boot. Im ready to give up, yank the drive put in a SSD and install Win10.
bugeyedalien
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bugeyedalien »

Well now with Mint 18.1 IT FINALLY works for me !! I dont know if it was that I set straight UEFI boot in BIOS/UEFI with no legacy option rom, or that there is some secret sauce in 18.1, but atleast I could successfully install mint 18.1 !!
elytron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by elytron »

QuadraQ wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:28 pm I'm having the exact same problem with another Braswell based laptop, specifically the Dell Inspiron 14 3452 with an Intel Pentium N3700. Had an install of Gnome Ubuntu 16.04 that had WiFi problems that I hoped would be fixed with 16.10. After the upgrade I could no longer boot successfully. I thought the upgrade had failed so I did a fresh install, but still couldn't boot. After some searches I learned I could boot using the nomodeset option, but that's not what I want of course. I decided to try Mint because I wasn't that happy with Gnome, but ran into the same issue. I bought (and upgraded) this laptop specifically to install and learn Linux, and at this point I don't even know what to do next. Sad.
I am also having boot issues with my Dell 3452 laptop. It boots to a black screen when using more recent Linux Kernels. Version 4.4.0-116 boots successfully, but 4.13.0-37 doesn't. It goes to a black/blank screen and I can't login. Worry that I won't be able to use Mint version 19 when it is released, currently on 18.3 Cinnamon. I attempt to boot another distro, Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 beta-1 amd64 with same problem. Have posted a thread over on linuxquestions.org https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175625985/ concerning this.

My System Spec:

Dell 3452 laptop

Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
4GB Memory
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD (An upgrade)
Intel 8260 Wireless (An upgrade)
Intel HD Graphics 405 (Braswell)
14 inch screen

Sorry for bumping this old thread.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

elytron wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:42 pm Sorry for bumping this old thread.
Please don't do it. Also, please read the forum rules then start a new thread.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”