Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
dhewton
Level 1
Level 1

Howto install AMD RX 480

Post by dhewton »

I am just installing Linux for the first time in a long time. I have the AMD RX 480; just tried to install the driver they provide on their website (for ubuntu), but an error message came back saying unsupported OS. How do I install the driver to get this card working?

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Howto install AMD RX 480

Post by richyrich »

There are no AMD drivers for Mint 18, only the open-source ati/radeon drivers that are included with Mint.
If you want/need the AMD drivers, you will need to install Mint 17.3.
I also suggest you use the Driver Manager program to install, instead of downloading from the net.

dhewton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhewton »

It says I'm using software rendering when I boot up. How do I install the drivers included with Mint? What is the file name? I don't care if I'm using the latest drivers from AMD, but I would like to at least be using some kind of drivers that don't leave me with just software rendering.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

This terminal command will give the video information, copy/paste the output back here in a reply:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx

dhewton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhewton »

How do I get it off software rendering mode?

dhewton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhewton »

Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 67df bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: fbdev,ati (unloaded: vesa,radeon)
Resolution: 1920x1080@77.00hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8, 128 bits)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

..drivers: fbdev,ati (unloaded: vesa,radeon)
Something is definitely wrong there . . radeon should be loaded and fbdev should not. :?
It may have been caused by trying to install that incorrect/incompatible driver from AMD.

AMD have stopped making proprietary drivers for Mint 18 / Ubuntu 16.04 (see Mint 18 release announcement)
If you really need it, I suggest you install Mint 17.x instead, then you can install the AMD fglrx drivers with the Driver Manager program.

dhewton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhewton »

I will give that a go. (installing older version). Basically I want my linux box to be my facebook, youtube, watch movies box. If I could do video encoding rendering for youtube that would be even better.. Beyond that I don't play games very often at all, but have a win 10 drive for when I want to play games or doing video production. I really would like to do video production on linux, and go the route of possibly a Beowulf distributed processing route. Not sure if any video software under linux utilizes parallel processing. do you have any thoughts on that?

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

I only dabble. Here's just one webpage, there are others out there too. (read the comments too)
http://www.techdrivein.com/2013/09/top- ... linux.html

dhewton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhewton »

I really wanted to get Mint to be the Distro, but perhaps I should consider regular Ubuntu with my RX 480?

I know its a flaky reason, but I wanted to use Mint cuz its from Ireland. lol

Is there another Distro you know would be better suited with my hardware and for what I intend?

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

There is no AMD drivers available in Ubuntu either, unless you go for Ubuntu 14.04 (Mint 17.x)
It is AMD that has dropped proprietary drivers, not any distro. Be patient, send AMD emails about your concerns and disappointment, wait, see if they decide to do something for their Linux users who support their products . .

but it's your choice, good luck.
richy

dhewton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhewton »

Well that, and from what I see, Mint is slick. Sucks that I can't have it, unless I go back a version. Will I be giving up any slickness by going to an oider version of Mint?

dhewton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhewton »

I don't care about the 3D stuff, but I can't even watch Youtube 1080p let alone HD movies with whatever driver is happening in Mint now for me. From the results of that command you asked me to do, is there anything I can do with what I have to at least make it generically more capable for watching video?

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Mint 17 is supported til 2019. I'm still running Mint 17 on ALL of my machines (except an old old one)
I won't install Mint 18 until ALL of the bugs have been taken care of . . probably start looking when the next version of 18 comes out.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

dhewton wrote:Will I be giving up any slickness by going to an oider version of Mint?
I have been using Mint 17.0, 17.1, 17.2, and 17.3 since the 17.x edition was first released. I have installed it on computers for myself, my family, my friends - anybody that wants it. None of them have been dissatisfied with Mint 17. It still has a few years of support left, and by the time Mint 17 is out of support, I suspect there will be AMD drivers for Mint 18. So give 17.x a try, I think you'll like it.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

..is there anything I can do with what I have to at least make it generically more capable for watching video?
Your graphics stack is corrupted, you may want to try a re-install . . ? Then at least you may get the correct open-source video drivers to load.

dhewton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhewton »

What is the file name that I can try re-installing for Mint 18.

If that doesn't work, I'll try 17. AMD's site has drivers for Ubuntu 16.04

dl9220
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dl9220 »

dhewton wrote:What is the file name that I can try re-installing for Mint 18.

If that doesn't work, I'll try 17. AMD's site has drivers for Ubuntu 16.04
Try reinstalling Mesa. Look it up in Synaptic and mark it for reinstalling. Under normal circumstances, it should also detect your new dGPU and install/use AMDGPU, which is the successor of fglrx...
Mint Sarah Xfce (Linux 4.8.4 Low Latency) on MSI A88Xi-AC + AMD A10-7850@4.2 gHz + AMD R9-270X + Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1866 + Adata SX900-64
Lenovo Z50-75 - Mint Sarah Xfce (4.8.4 Low Latency) AMD FX7500 - Corsair ForceLS 120 Gb - Corsair 16 Gb 1866DDR3 lv

dchild
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dchild »

I have an amd rx 480 working with mint 18 xfce; it did require some work though.

When I installed from my boot usb, it was stuck with a very generic driver and it stuttered/froze, had weird lines etc. Not really useable, but I was able to run a shell. I'm not sure how critical the order of this stuff is, but in total...

1. upgraded all installed packages.
2. added the padoka ppa (ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/mesa)
3. From that ppa, installing the latest mesa and amdgpu packages. (at this point, a reboot saw no improvements)
4. Installed the 4.7.2 kernel. (got a blank screen when trying to boot)
5. Added nomodeset to the config line in grub. (I used grub-customizer).

After that, it booted properly, and correctly loaded the amdgpu drivers. Blissfully silky-smooth rendering. I have not tested it much beyond the basics though; I have yet to get any games installed, etc. I am using a 4k monitor, connected via display-port.

I hope that all helps someone. :)

LeXuGa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LeXuGa »

I am understanding that you have sound through HDMI, Is it correct? Thanks.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”