Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
StevenS
Level 1
Level 1

No frills graphics card for 16 core workstation

Post by StevenS »

I just finished building a dual E5-2670 processor (16 total cores) workstation for scientific modeling and would appreciate some advice on a graphics cards. I have been using the built in graphics (ASPEED AST2300) on the ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 motherboard, and have found that Cinnamon 18 is using a not insignificant amount of the CPU time when I am running all 16 cores. I tried using an older ATI Radeon card I had laying around, but I soon found out there's very little support for them. I will not be playing any games, doing any video editing, etc., this is strictly a number crunching machine.

I would like for the card to have enough power to not slow down my model processing, yet still give me decent responsiveness with the basic use of Cinnamon. I would also like a card that is well supported by Linux Mint and would be easy to install. In my very limited knowledge and research, I was looking at the EVGA GeForce GT 610 or 720. Would either of these be appropriate for my needs? I'm also not sure how much memory on the card I should get as I see these come in both 1GB and 2GB varieties.

Thanks.

Steve
Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Re: No frills graphics card for 16 core workstation

Post by Jim Hauser »

I have been using a GT 740 SC with an FX-8350 (8 core) for several months now. My primary system is Mint KDE 17.3 and the second system is Mint KDE 18 Beta. The video card works very well on both systems and does not sap processor resources. I use this one with two screens. The only graphic intensive apps that I use are for still imaging (fractals) as I do not play graphic intensive games. But it does do well playing videos...

You will probably do well with either of the cards you mentioned. I have always had good results with Nvidia and Mint.

Cheers!

Jim
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kwisher »

If you are so concerned about mem usage, why did you choose the "heaviest" DE environment? You could probably get by with the onboard gpu with a "lighter" DE.

I would also suggest that the next time you reinstall your o/s, start with Ubuntu server or Debian and add the lighter DE of your choice. I've read where the "server" o/s's have more optimized settings for your type of application.

The nVidia cards mentioned are good suggestions, especially if you need multi-monitor support.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

kwisher wrote:If you are so concerned about mem usage, why did you choose the "heaviest" DE environment? You could probably get by with the onboard gpu with a "lighter" DE.

I would also suggest that the next time you reinstall your o/s, start with Ubuntu server or Debian and add the lighter DE of your choice. I've read where the "server" o/s's have more optimized settings for your type of application.

The nVidia cards mentioned are good suggestions, especially if you need multi-monitor support.
Huh? The OP has a lot of power other than the onboard video, and with a decent graphics card you could run Cinnamon (or Unity or Gnome 3) just fine even with just 2 cores and 1Gb RAM.

I'd also suggest a cheap Nvidia card. Their Linux support is the best. One of those stores where you get last year's model cheaper is ideal IMO. AMD's is not good at all ... now that I'm just using Linux I'll never buy another machine with an ATI gpu.. Intel's isn't bad but it's not as good as many think it is.
StevenS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by StevenS »

kwisher wrote:If you are so concerned about mem usage, why did you choose the "heaviest" DE environment? You could probably get by with the onboard gpu with a "lighter" DE.
Being predominantly a Windows developer, I appreciate the Windows 7 like interface of the Cinnamon DE. And in between the simulations I need to run I wouldn't mind having a pleasant Linux GUI to play around with. If a $50 graphics card will allow me to do that I, will be pleased. My company might also look askance at me if I try to get reimbursed for a high end gaming graphics card.
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Is there the possibility of multiple monitors in the future? The Nvidia NVS is designed specifically for workstations (businesses) as an economical (read low priced) solution. Might be a selling point to your boss?
I have an older model that I originally used on a server with multiple monitors, each showing different ongoing or live processes for myself or anyone to quickly see (when I'm away on my day off for example).
Once it was retired from that job, I used it for my first multi-monitor flight simulator . . 8)
StevenS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by StevenS »

richyrich wrote:Is there the possibility of multiple monitors in the future? The Nvidia NVS is designed specifically for workstations (businesses) as an economical (read low priced) solution. Might be a selling point to your boss?
I'm probably in the minority here, but I have never warmed up to the idea of multiple monitors. I would rather toggle displays in a single monitor than have two physical monitors taking up space on my desk. In any case, I just ordered an MSI GeForce GT 720 1GB from Newegg for $42.99.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”