Get AMD drivers on Mint 18 [ONLY FOR R7, R9, OR RX CARDS]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ACMilan1899
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Get AMD drivers on Mint 18 [ONLY FOR R7, R9, OR RX CARDS]

Post by ACMilan1899 »

Thank's!

Rx 480 working great!
Gubber
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gubber »

Thanks Lucky Duck, this worked great!
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I use r9 280x , not on the OP's list. I havent DL mint 18.x yet. But If no one else uses r9 280x I can use an extra drive and try it out. I would assume the entire r9 series would be covered but I can install 18.x any for conformation if need be.
alfema
Level 5
Level 5

Post by alfema »

I do not understand why AMD does not include my R9 280X in the list of supported graphics.
In case I have tried these instructions but the script does nothing. :?
--
Saludos / Greetings
Mi sistema desde noviembre 2022 / My system since november 2022
Linux Mint 21 - Cinnamon (64 bit)
Ryzen 5 5600 + Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 GiB + SSD Crucial MX 550 512 MB + AMD RX 6700 XT
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

alfema wrote:I do not understand why AMD does not include my R9 280X in the list of supported graphics.
In case I have tried these instructions but the script does nothing. :?
The 280 is essentially a re-branded 7970 and is only GCN gen-1 architecture. It was a helluva deal when the 3xx series cards came out because this sku was being phased out. I hear "experimental" work is already in play in kernel 4.9 for GCN 1.0 cards, but for now these drivers (in post #1) are for later architectures.

Fun fact: did you know the 285 is gen-3?

Silver-lining in all this: (again from what I've read) there's absolutely no plans to develop drivers for "pre-GCN" cards so you're right on the cusp of not being cut off from future development. To see if your card "may be improved upon other than the existing open-source drivers," here's a handy wiki to check: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Core_Next
Tatikoma

Post by Tatikoma »

I have just upgraded to Mint 18 and cannot make my GPU to work.

$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290] (rev 80)

I couldnt find amdgpu-pro_16.30.3-315407.tar.xz of which says the author of a topic and installed latest version amdgpu-pro-16.40-348864.tar.xz.
This doest work at all, driver crashes:
cinnamon[1826]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f60f746c162 sp 00007ffe57494770 error 4 in amdgpu_dri.so[7f60f512a000+283f000]

Can anyone help me to make it work?
p-s-t

Post by p-s-t »

yup pretty much same problem here.
Just with 260X
Its like 16.30.3-315407 version file was erased from history. It does not exist anymore anywhere.... :-)

Can anyone provide the file:
amdgpu-pro_16.30.3-315407.tar.xz
?
hotalot

Post by hotalot »

On mint 17.3 inxi -G returns:
$ inxi -G
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Tobago PRO [Radeon R7 360 / R9 360 OEM]
Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon R7 360 Series GLX Version: 4.5.13399 - CPC 15.201.1151

I tried upgrading to Mint 18 but could not make the gpu work.

Is there a way of "transforming" a R7 360 into a R9 360? May be a firmware upgrade?

Thanks
Tatikoma

Post by Tatikoma »

I solved my issue by clean re-installing Linux Mint 18.

Also, i detached second display before installation.

Latest driver version works as it should be.
XOlegator

Post by XOlegator »

luckyduck99, can you tell me, what you have been changed in the installation script (from your first message)? Now I try to install amdgpu-pro-16.40-348864 driver (for my RX 460) and change only one string:

Code: Select all

case "$ID" in
to

case "$ID_LIKE" in
But I still can not get to make the driver work :cry: . I tried to install Linux Mint 18 (KDE), Kubuntu 16.10, Kubuntu 16.04.1
bh192012

Post by bh192012 »

I kept getting the "Unsupported OS" error until I removed the following from the install script.

steamos)
      PACKAGES="amdgpu-pro-driver amdgpu-pro-lib32 "`
         `"glx-alternative-amdgpu-pro amdgpu-pro-dkms"
      ;;

Once I removed that bit things worked as expected.
LeXuGa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LeXuGa »

I received the message:
OS unsopported on Mint 18.1 Cinnamon and 18 XFCE. I have installed the version 4.8 of kernel and terminal show me the same message. Can you help me?

Thanks.
the_redbaron

Post by the_redbaron »

Hello.
I edited the mentioned shell script in gedit and saved it. And also did the 'video' thing you said.
But still getting "Unsupported OS" message.
Using Linux Mint 18.
First time linux user.
Much appreciate the help.
the_redbaron

Post by the_redbaron »

bh192012 wrote:I kept getting the "Unsupported OS" error until I removed the following from the install script.

steamos)
      PACKAGES="amdgpu-pro-driver amdgpu-pro-lib32 "`
         `"glx-alternative-amdgpu-pro amdgpu-pro-dkms"
      ;;

Once I removed that bit things worked as expected.
Not working in my case.
Using Linux mint 18, R7 M265
Jus102u

Post by Jus102u »

The link in the tutorial sends me to the download page for driver version 16.40, the most current driver version is 16.50, and the tutorial says 16.30. I'm not sure If I'm doing something wrong or what.

last week I tried following this tutorial with the 16.40 driver and I couldn't get anywhere so I gave up. This week I'm trying with the 16.50 drivers and after I edit the install file, when I run it, nothing comes up at all. I just get handed back the terminal without anything being installed. Is it something to do with the atom text editor? Is it because the driver version is not 16.30?
p-s-t

Post by p-s-t »

run it in terminal it will tell you what is wrong.... or at least we will see where it stops.
not that i am able to help you.... am stuck where you are :-)

What is a real mystery to me is why is 16.30 version impossible to get?
In this day and age every thing is being uploaded on filesharing sites ....but not the drivers nah ah ahh. :?
Lukfi

Post by Lukfi »

When I run the modified script with ./amdgpu-pro-install, there is no output; when I run it with bash amdgpu-pro-install, I get:
amdgpu-pro-install: line 71: cd: amdgpu-pro-install: not a directory
I am using drivers 16.50, LM 18.1 Cinnamon
Mapua

Post by Mapua »

Hello,

I give up and will return my RX 480 on Monday.
There seems to be no solution to get the amdgpu-pro driver working under Mint 18 Chinnamon.
I failed at re-compiling the cogl.
And re-compiling packages on his own is usually not the main preference of a Mint user - otherwise one could use Debian.
Using the open-source driver makes no sense to me, as I strictly need OpenCl support.
The amd-gpu open-source driver does not support OpenCl.
I'm not a gamer, I need the graphics card for Darktable and Gimp only.
Uses with Darktable, the Radeon RX 480 has shown the similar performance like the GTX 1070 but for much less cost.

Mapua
Lennyz

Post by Lennyz »

Mapua wrote:Hello,

I give up and will return my RX 480 on Monday.
There seems to be no solution to get the amdgpu-pro driver working under Mint 18 Chinnamon.
I failed at re-compiling the cogl.
And re-compiling packages on his own is usually not the main preference of a Mint user - otherwise one could use Debian.
Using the open-source driver makes no sense to me, as I strictly need OpenCl support.
The amd-gpu open-source driver does not support OpenCl.
I'm not a gamer, I need the graphics card for Darktable and Gimp only.
Uses with Darktable, the Radeon RX 480 has shown the similar performance like the GTX 1070 but for much less cost.

Mapua
What do you mean? They work fine. I got a RX 470 though.

All you have to do is:

1. Upgrade to a kernel that is at least 4.8.
2. Download the Ubuntu drivers from here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... Notes.aspx
3. Extract them
4. Look for the file "amdgpu-pro-install" open it with an editor and search for the word "ubuntu" replace it with "linuxmint" and then save the file.
5. Then open up terminal, go to the map where you extracted the files and there type:

./amdgpu-pro-install -y

6. Type this command in console:

sudo usermod -a -G video $LOGNAME

7. Reboot

And voila it's working.

Here is also the page from AMD with instructions.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... stall.aspx
Last edited by Lennyz on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
rjd

Post by rjd »

I would like to confirm this as I just got a new RX470 working in Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit (Cinnamon version 3.2.7).

Before I did the install, I used Update Manager to install the latest 4.8 kernel (4.8.0.34-generic) . If you've not done this before, you need to click on 'View' then 'Linux kernels' in Update Manager, then Continue on the warning page and then you can select the 4.8 kernel and click on 'Install updates'. After the kernel installs, run

sudo update-grub
and restart the computer to boot the new kernel.

Then I downloaded the latest driver (amdgpu-pro-16.60-379184.tar.xz) from https://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ubun ... 184.tar.xz which is the link for Ubuntu 16.04 on the page Lennyz links to, extracted them, tried the modified install script from luckyduck99 and found that it did not work with the new drivers. I then opened the original install script with the text editor and searched and replaced "ubuntu" with "linuxmint" as Lennyz stated and saved it. After saving the modified script (amdgpu-pro-install), I found that I needed to make it executable; you can just right-click on it in Nemo, select 'Properties', click 'Permissions' and click on the box to "Allow executing as program".

I then changed to the directory that I extracted the driver to and, ran

sudo ./amdgpu-pro-install
then uninstalled the old driver per luckyduck99's post
Open up the mint software manager and search for "radeon". Find "Xserver-xorg-video-radeon", double click, and hit "Remove."
I then skipped running the usermod command as I knew I was already in the video group from previously checking and rebooted.

After rebooting the driver did not seem to be workingso I went back into Software Manager and installed Libdrm-amdgpu-pro-radeon1 (it's the first thing that comes up when you do the previous search). I don't know if I needed this, but it's still installed. I then checked Xorg.0.log using

sudo xed /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and found there was a problem with an error message flooding the log. I found a solution here: https://community.amd.com/thread/205475. Using this

sudo xed /usr/share/x11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu-pro.conf
to add this section:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Rx470-A"
Driver "amdgpu"
Option "TearFree" "on"
EndSection
to the configuration file and rebooting solved that problem and now the driver is working as expected. I've tried to provide all the info I could in case your install doesn't go as well as Lennyz's seems to have. I would also recommend using the instructions from the page Lennyz linked to as a starting point. Hope this helps someone.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”