Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED Nvidia 970 will not work on Cin18

Post by qhris »

Here's the deal.. I upgraded to cin 18 and had an existing AMD HD 7870 video card. I found out AMD dropped support for this card and there are no drivers from AMD anymore and the existing drivers will not work for cin 18.
The result was the only 2 games I played on Linux wouldn't work. (Xplane and Urban Terror)
I got an Nvidia 970 card from my windows computer, which I had upgraded to a 1060, then tried to install the 970 on my Linux box using the instructions here https://linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_cinnamon.php and could not even enter the boot menu to do the edit. The MB is an AsusP8 Z77-V LX and I can access the bios/uefi menu with no issues using the AMD card. With the 970, it freezes on the Asus window, where you would normally enter the bios and I cannot access the bios or the boot menu to make the change in the boot script as per instructions.
Anyone have any ideas on this? I have not been able to find a similar problem doing a search.
Thanks,
Chris
Last edited by qhris on Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Nvidia 970 will not work on Cin18

Post by richyrich »

With the 970, it freezes on the Asus window, where you would normally enter the bios and I cannot access the bios..
This tells me that there is a hardware problem. You may want/need to re-seat the new video card in the motherboard, and check the seating of the power plug to the vid card (if any).
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED Re: Nvidia 970 will not work on Cin18

Post by qhris »

Hi richyrich,
I so love it when its such a simple solution. I was so into looking for something complex and I simply overlooked the obvious. I removed the graphics card and checked all the connections, it all looked good. Then I saw the cmos jumper (it was partially hidden behind the graphics card) and then remembered that I should probably reset it after changing a critical piece of hardware as per asus instructions in the manual lol. I put it all back together, started it up, and voilà... it worked!!! I was able to access mint 18, install the nvidia drivers, and its all good. I just have to go back into the bios and redo a few settings on my boot preferences and such and its a done deal.
Thanks so much for your response, You changed the direction of my thinking, and saved me a lot of time, and maybe some money too. This proves again how valuable these forums are for quickly finding a solution to a problem.
TY,
Chris

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”