Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
larfingiraffe
Level 1
Level 1

Convert VHS to DVD

Post by larfingiraffe » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:57 am

I have an old VHS tape that I want to convert to a digital format. My VHS player has Scart output and the "audio" style (is that RCA?) of leads. I think I need some sort of device to plug this into to digitize the stream, which I hopefully can then capture with VLC. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive device that's available in the UK and known to work with Mint? Are there alternative ways to go about this?

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Convert VHS to DVD

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:12 am

If your laptop has firewire port, you can follow this.

https://opensource.com/life/15/6/VHS-co ... -MP4-Linux
If you dont have one you can add to your laptop.
https://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=ht ... zSd8okAuAw
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

larfingiraffe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by larfingiraffe » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:43 am

Thanks v much for your response. There is some useful info there but the hardware side of it is not so useful. He uses his camera to translate from RCA to firewire but I don't have a camera that would do that for me. I suspect that I'll have to splash out for a USB gadget that translates the RCA+audio to USB. I've tried looking at the linux Wiki page that tells you what works with linux, but I'm having a bit of trouble matching these up with what's available at a reasonable price - often the brand names change, or you cannot find out what the chip is in the interesting one you spotted on Amazon. I would consider a pci-based card too (I'm on a desktop not laptop), but USB is more versatile.

ginjabunny
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ginjabunny » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:12 pm

I hear your problem, virtually all video capture boxes or cards come with proprietary Windows software, which is why I have to use a WinXP PC to record TV through a usb digital box I a bought at Maplin.
I have explored using Linux with various capture devices but could never get any to work unless there was software specifically written for it (for example Black Magic).
If you can get hold of one, maybe an old analogue TV card/usb dongle would do the trick as software like TVtime works with most, but still a minefield.

The only thing I can suggest is look for usb box or pci card for video capture and then search to see if it works on Linux before buying it, Linux will recognise most hardware but finding software that works with it is the problem. Alternatively maybe run Windows in Virtualbox but not sure if that would work either?

Good luck.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:48 am

I looked into video convertors a while back. I wound up not needing one after all, but there were several under $35 convertors that work on Linux on ebay. Don't remember which ones though, sorry.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”