Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
ginjabunny
Level 3
Level 3

Video performance on different desktops

Post by ginjabunny » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:54 am

This is not really a problem, more of an observation which I am at a loss to explain, maybe someone knows the answer.

I recently bought a new mini PC for behind the TV, nice and fast, Core i5-4300U with built-in graphics which show in inxi as

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x720@50.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
I installed Mint18 64bit Cinnamon and everything is fine it is plugged into my TV with HDMI and set to 1280x720, I'm watching video full-screen using VLC and the picture looks good and is nice and smooth, so I install LXDE and login as the same user with LXDE session and watch the same video full-screen on VLC and all the time I get a lot of horizontal breaks in the picture during movement and panning on the screen like the screen moves in sections.
In VLC I have had the video output setting the same for both, even tried various different ones (like Open GL GLX, etc) and also different refresh rates but it still does it.
I have no idea why this is, do you?

As I said I can use Cinnamon so not a problem, but why the difference?

Confused

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Video performance on different desktops

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:03 am

The difference is that when you installed the Cinnamon version the system was properly configured for Cinnamon, and it's the wrong configuration for LXDE.

It's actually one of the most common beginner mistakes to install multiple desktops in the same install, and Cinnamon is one of the worst DEs to do this with.

ginjabunny
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Video performance on different desktops

Post by ginjabunny » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:07 am

In what way is it "the wrong configuration for LXDE"? Does it not use the same video drivers regardless of desktop? As VLC is running full-screen doesn't it have control of the output, so how does the desktop affect it?

Btw I have been using Linux for over 10 years so not a beginner.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”