Before you post please read this
roros
Level 1
Level 1

Nvidia Issues

Post by roros »

Hardware:
Alienware 17 r3
LCD 17.3 3840x2160 (as best I can tell not recognized by Mint 18)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 980M
Intel HD Graphics 530

I'm brand new to the Linux operating system. I've managed to fix several issues so far, but have been unable to crack the nut on my video problems.

My desired end state is this:
I would like to run my computer from the laptop screen and occasionally plug in an HDMI projector. I would like these screens to be extended displays. That is to say two separate screens. So that when I maximise an application like VLC on the projector VLC stays on the projector (maximised) and does not span into my laptop display.

My Problems are:
I used Driver Manger to update my drivers. I think this when well. The radio button selection nvidia-367 (recommended) is selected, and it seems that Mint recognises that video card.
The Intel radio button is selected as intel-microcode (unknown device). I think that video card is not recognised. I don't know what the correct selection is here? I've tried every combination. The following happens:
Every time I restart the computer the Nvidia X Server (whatever that is) presents with a big red X. The listed problem is Intel (power saving mode). I change it back to Nvidia, right click to close the application (it tells me to do this) and restart. It works fine until the next reboot, then it all over again.

If I change my screen resolution; sometimes it works, and sometimes it fails. When it fails my screen may get changed into four small mirrored screens, but the computer hangs, and there is no recovery at this point. If I plug my projector in, so how that becomes the primary display. I mean by that, my desktop icons and menu bars go to that screen. I try to change it back, but the computer seeming ignores any changes made and the desktop continues to reside on the projector.

I don't know what right (regarding settings) looks like in Mint. I'm not even sure if it is possible to use Mint to accomplish a two screen setup as I want to set it up. I bearly understand the syntax of the command language. What I do know, is that I'm beating my head against a wall and it is beginning to hurt. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance,
Rich

roblm
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Nvidia Issues

Post by roblm »

First enable the Nvidia GPU. Check this by using this command in the Terminal: prime-select query

If it is not enabled, then use this command and then log out and back in: sudo prime-select nvidia

Use these commands and post the output:

Code: Select all

1. xrandr --verbose
2. xed /var/log/gpu-manager.log
3. xed /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Press Ctrl+A to select the entire file contents. Right click on the screen and select “Copy”. Don't save it to a file. Open the Mint Forum reply window and select “Code” in the menu. Press Ctrl+V to paste the lines between the two code words.

If you have problems posting the Xorg.0.log file, then upload it to pastebin.com by using this command:
pastebin /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Post the URL link that displays in the Terminal window.

Then use this command to switch to the Intel GPU and log out and back in: sudo prime-select intel

Post the same info requested above for the Nvidia GPU.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”