Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

TV Monitor

Post by palimmo »

Do you have any experience with this new technology?
I would like to buy a monitor (ca. 22/24", 1080p) to be used sometimes with my laptop (reading documents, etc...) At the same time it would be great to have a TV at home too (I'm not particularly interested in SmartTV).
And I have discovered that nowadays there are many PC Monitor meant to be used as TV (thanks to a build-in TV Tuner) as well and usually called TV-Monitor or Monitor-TV.
That's interesting!

Let me know if you use it!
LM Cinnamon 64bit

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: TV Monitor

Post by Neil Edmond »

Sure...I have a PC connected to a 1080p HDTV, works just fine. Not exactly what you're asking, since mine is a 46" Sony TV that's used primarily as a TV, and only occasionally as a monitor. Also have a smaller 24" 720p HDTV that has PC inputs for use as a monitor, but I've yet to connect a PC to the small one.

I would think think that a smallish 4K TV would make an excellent monitor as well though.

palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

Is a TV good for working (reading, writing, etc.) several hours? Comparable to a standard Monitor?
Must it be a 1080p?
LM Cinnamon 64bit

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

There is a wide variety of TV displays, just as is there are monitors. Some are better than others in quality and resolution. But if comparing similar quality technologies, there should not be a difference in text vs video display quality. And no, it does not have to be 1080p. Depends a great deal on the parameters one prefers in a monitor. That is, if one prefers a high resolution monitor to provide a lot of desktop work area, then a 4K TV monitor would work well. If one has poor eye sight, and prefers a low resolution monitor to make text look bigger, then a 720 or 1080 resolution TV would work well.

palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

what about ppi? Apparently these are important as well...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2924203/ ... -know.html
LM Cinnamon 64bit

MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyO »

Sure, I use a "tv" as my main screen as the laptop's screen is always turned off from the screen settings. Just a basic Samsung lcd, not even led, bought about 6 years ago. Full hd, 60 Hz and 24'', haven't ruined my eyes yet and the picture/color is great in my opinion when you go through the trouble of setting it up properly.

Wasn't looking for a tv when I was searching for this. But the fact of the matter is, both (pure monitor or monitor with a tv) cost the same or the "tvs" were in many places cheaper or in sale. I had the antenna hooked up and used it occasionally, but then eventually took it out as I don't really watch anything on tv (everything's more conveniently online) and getting the cable out of the way was great.
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”