<SOLVED> HP Laptop screen goes dark when on AC power

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Downunder Dave

<SOLVED> HP Laptop screen goes dark when on AC power

Post by Downunder Dave »

Hi,

I'm using the following:
HP240 laptop 2Gb RAM
Intel HD Graphics (built in)

Linux MINT 18.1 MATE (downloaded 2016-12-28)

I'm new to Linux MINT and have been experimenting with booting it off a USB thumb-drive/memory stick, ie not installed on the laptop.

The boot is beautiful and all looks good as MINT gets ready to load the GUI with lots of Linux messages scrolling across the screen.

However, if I am running on AC power, rather than the laptop battery, the GUI is so dim I thought it was just a blank screen. It was only by chance that I caught the MINT logo when I stood and looked at the screen from a different angle. If I unplug the laptop from AC, the GUI goes bright and usable and all is well. If I plug AC back in, everything goes super-dim.

I've seen a number of forum posts regarding NVidia graphics cards, but from the spec sheets of this laptop, I do not think that is the problem as the laptop reports having an Intel HD Graphics card (built in).

The pre-boot screen offers Linux MINT and Linux MINT in compatibility mode and I get the same behaviour from both of these options.

I am convinced that this is related to the HP laptop hardware, as I have tried exactly the same thing with a Lenovo laptop, again, booting from the same USB thumb-drive and it works perfectly.

Does anyone have thoughts on this problem?

Many thanks,

Downunder Dave.
My impression so far ? A 2Gb RAM laptop (not my choice) running MINT is so much better than it trying to wheeze along with Windows 8.x
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Downunder Dave

Re: HP Laptop screen goes dark when on AC power

Post by Downunder Dave »

I should also add to the above, that this behaviour of the screen going dark when on AC power does not happen when the laptop is running Windows 8, which is its installed OS at the moment. The problem only occurs once the MATE GUI is being displayed and it's not that the screen goes dim, as if it thought it was on battery power, it goes so dark you think that the screen is off. If I unplug the laptop from AC power, ping, the screen comes back nice and bright displaying the GUI.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Downunder Dave
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I have seen the same on the HP of a friend; we put Mint 18.1 (Mate) for him; I think he said it did the same with Win 10 .......... googling just seemed to agree it happened .... there were several suggestions as to why .. we never solved it ..
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The obvious thing to try is power manager preferences ... there are default settings there for brightness on AC and battery.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

My thought is:
- Control Centre - Hardware - Power management
On AC Power - UN-check the "Dim display when idle" setting of the 'On AC Power' Tab.
do the same for the 'On Battery Power' Tab.

then see if that makes any difference.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Downunder Dave

Re: <SOLVED> HP Laptop screen goes dark when on AC power

Post by Downunder Dave »

Hi,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I have a solution, but I am not sure where the actual problem lies.

Firstly, I am using a Live User Session, booting from a USB thumb-drive/memory stick, ie MINT is not installed on the laptop, I am just experimenting with my daughter's lamentable Windows 8 laptop.

I have found that in the Control Centre-> Power Management Preferences->On AC Power tab, the [Set display brightness to:] slider is working back to front. That is when set to 100%, the screen is dimmer than when set to ZERO %, when it appears at maximum brightness.

When I set the [Set display brightness to:] slider to 50% it provides a readable screen and when I change the laptop from AC Power to Battery Power, the screen remains readable.

I would be pretty confident in thinking that this is something to do with what MINT thinks the HP hardware setting should be, compared to what it actually is. I also think that this is affecting the ON/OFF behaviour of the [Reduce backlight brightness] check box behaviour.

Anyhow, I am up and running now which is great, and whilst I remain playing with the Live User Login, I just have to remember to make that slider setting each time. Eventually I am going to take the plunge and install MINT. Honest.

Many thanks for your help.

Dave.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”